Let us BRING BACK THE 5-SPOT FRAME- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Let us BRING BACK THE 5-SPOT FRAME

I am serious.

Best riding bike I can remember having...ever. Now I can't get another one? !#$#!!!! I just got this one last year!

This isn't suppose to be a swan song for the 26" wheel, but rather, much love for the way the 5 spot is riding. When something is seriously good, why are we forced to change? I certainly agree, a bigger wheel rolls over stuff better. Science is science.

And this bike is quicker and more agile and allows me to play bmx better than a bigger wheel. Better carving...short rear, long(er) tt. Sooooooo goooooooood.

For those with some years riding under our belts (and maybe even another life of racing many, many years ago), we certainly can feel every 5mm difference here and there. This one frame got it juuuuuust right.

Who is in on this? Let's see what sort of minimum we can muster to have another batch made, with that all important 16.99999" chainstay length (and DW link, and bushings, etc).

Order in for one (L). Color almost irrelevant.

I (we) will refrain from discussing serious modifications to a Burner in order to try and match it exactly to the frame I have now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just get a Burner!

mtbr member
    This horse has been beaten, dragged, shot, and drawn and quartered. Move on. Get a Burner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ahem.

5 SPOT.

mtbr member

I'll put in a vote for the 5Spot if it comes back as a CF version of the Burner
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You want a DW or TNT version?

mtbr member
    You got one last year and now you want another? My old horst link spot is still going strong and I intend to ride my DW one just as long, unless I win the lottery, then I'll buy a Burner so I can try out this 650b fad...

I must admit that while I love my first gen DW spot I'm pretty tempted to look out for a cheap used newer one with the improved geometry, 44mm head tube and 12mm rear axle. It would be an expensive upgrade but worth it if I wanted to be the last man on earth riding 26" wheels. However I just can't shake the little voice in my head that keeps whispering "just buy a Burner"...

Bikes are good
    I have a hard tail 29r, and it is a great bike for certain things. I'm on my 5 spot for the other, more fun things. It's just a big bike to take on 50 plus mile rides, and those types of rides (in Alaska) don't require all that great travel. Seems like a Burner is in my future too. After I pay off this DHR.

I have turned into one of those guys that spends way too much money on bikes. All of my money on bikes.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Now with flavor!!
    You know you can just keep riding the frame you apparently already own right?

No puppies will die.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Outcast
    Once the 26 inch wheel emerges as the new fashion trend, and all the manufacturers jump on it, then you might have a chance of seeing a new 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    As much as I like to oppose change or progress in directions i dont like.. you will not go 5spot to burner and be unhappy.. the loss of flickability isnt really a problem unless you just do a double tailwhip with the 5spot.. you might only be able to do one on the burner.. but for trail use.. dont stress it

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Once the 26 inch wheel emerges as the new fashion trend, and all the manufacturers jump on it, then you might have a chance of seeing a new 5 Spot.
    It will not be recognized as such as it will be called 627b for some marketing reason and will require wheels with carbon rims with 559x30 ERTRO or wider. Of course anything aluminium or narrower than 30mm is not done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrexpink View Post
    Just get a Burner!
    Or more appropriately, a new Flux. While I don't think 26" is forever gone, the 27.5" Turners are the tits.

mtbr member
    Need carbon 27.5 turners pls. Enjoyed all my 5spots and Fluxes and RFXs a great deal but my next bike will be 27.5 and carbon I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ahem.

So I haven't seen any subsequent orders pop in yet. This is disturbing.

I do replace my bikes annually. Preventative measure, based on previous catastrophic failures (NOT trying to make this a debate about stuff breaking. They are bikes, not imaginary beings that self-heal). It's a matter of self preservation at this point, and I am comfortable with my decision. No need to hate, or critique. Plus, someone else gets a bike for super cheap, and I support the American worker. Anyways,

So, let's get back to basics: 5 spot. DW. BRING IT BACK. Differences of 5mm <DO> matter. Otherwise, we'd all ride the same thing and that would be that.

I'm looking for some chaps out there who would be down for another round. Sure, we could really get funny and talk about making one specific to a 1x setup, but that is far, far out of scope. Ditto material changes...although I have been imagining a US-made carbon version...hmmm.

ENOUGH OF THAT. Stay focused. New 5 spot. 16.99999" chainstays (or shorter!). Bring the love, for those that can feel the diff.

This frame is dialed.

Now with flavor!!
    www.kickstarter.com

The drawings exist, turner I'm sure still has them. Get enough people together so that it's actually profitable for them do it, and get a run of frames made. You're the one who can't stomach riding a used one and you're also the wise sage who sold yours......put it out there with some cash behind it. No functional business is going to say no to a chance to make money.

Hell, there's a group of crusty downhillers where I live who did this with some karpiel frames (through a different fabricator of course). 5spots actually still have some relevance, so it can't be that hard. Unless of course, other people like me realized they liked theirs and (gasp) didn't sell it.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

5-Spot frames still available from Turner

The Turner website has 5-Spot frames on the closeout page. Looks like S, L, XL, and XXL are available. Didn't see any mediums though.
    CLOSEOUT Bikes & Parts

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I absolutely understand and respect the OP's desire to have a new frame every year.

I do think you are over thinking, and not riding enough.

The Burner is the new 5 Spot. Get one, put the time in it to set it up the way you like and it will ride the same as a 5 Spot. Wheel size is only one factor. My Freeride bike (Specialized Trail SX 26" wheels) handles like a sluggish pig compared to my 2014 Sultan. My Sultan almost feels like a BMX bike after I rid the SX.

I have had the pleasure of riding a Burner in Moab and it rocks. I have also ridden a handful of other 27.5 bikes and the Burner is the only one that made sense from a feel and balance point of view.

nocturnal oblivion
    Mark these words...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Outcast
    Both of my full suspension bikes are 26 inch wheeled, horst linked, 4 bar bikes, and I love to ride them. Fashion trends are current and fickle, and, once they have passed, appear almost stupid. Ride what feels good. Phuck fashion.

mtbr member
    I am waiting for Mountain Bike Action to push the 25" wheel. Oh right, they already did that!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Ride what feels good. Phuck fashion.
    This.
    If you love your spot, then ride it to death. Buy up ever last frame Turner has and don't ride another bike for the next 20 years if that is what makes you happy. TBH if mine was the newer 4.2 version with the 44mm head tube and 12mm rear axle I'd probably hang onto it for ever too. It isn't though, and I'm not so anti-experimentation I'm going to rush out and buy a newer spot so I don't "have to" upgrade to a Burner/650b wheels to get the new geo etc.

mtbr member

No way a 26er 5 Spot is coming back but how about a 27.5 165mn Nomad slaying RFX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    No way a 26er 5 Spot is coming back but how about a 27.5 165mn Nomad slaying RFX?

I think monkeys will fly out of Dave Turner's butt before he makes any version of an RFX!

GAME ON!
    "retro"

TAKE MY MONEY! ~people
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I would gladly drop money on that frame regardless of build material. However I suspect Renegade may (sadly) have a point

mtbr member

I know but was having fun. Plus changing the subject as the 5 spot in 26er form is long gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Happy 3rd of July Gentlemen,

I see a few potential orders here. Let's rally a bit more. Hat tip to the hat tipper for the closeout page, but sadly no regular sizes, like M or L, that would fit me. Dang, that would have been awesome.

Besides DW working f'ing awesome (VPP=Junk, I now realize), the chainstay length is crucial. Shorter=better. Trust me. Over 17, ug. No hate for the Burner...just the stay kicks out a 1/2". Yes, that matters. Over 30 years riding. Yes, I can feel a pea under my tire (as opposed to a mattress).

How about some compromise?

Material: Aluminum or Carbon (ahem, how about Carbon US-made???)
    Name: 5 Spot, Burner, Super Dooper, MyDIsBiggerThanYours, whatever makes you happy
    CS: 16.999 or shorter, if we can. Go ahead and run a smaller tire. You do not really need a 2.5. You don't. Shuttle hags do, and we on this list only do that type of stuff sparingly, if ever. We know it is junk food. 2.35 gives us room to spare for travel and linkage movement, and shorter stays.

Need to order something soon...like, last week.

mtbr member
    Have you even tried a Burner? How can you possibly know dont like the geometry without trying it? There is still a large blue ano Spot in the Turner store if that is your size.
    Im not sure who you are including in your 'list', but no one else seems to have expressed any interest in your venture.

Move on or ride what you have.....plz end this rant.

Lay off the Levers
    I tried 6thE's Burner at our local Fat Tire Festival. I had my Spot with me.

As much as I love my 5 Spot... I would not miss it on a Burner, not one bit.

Not...one...bit.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    May 2014
    I vote for a TNT 5.5 RFX 650b PLUS. If he makes this, I would even *cough* settle for the 44mm HT since I'd likely fit my perfectly dialed straight 1.125" X-Fusion Vengeance Coil on it, with reducer cups. I'd only have to buy the rear hoop since I think my Hadley's will convert to 142mm, and maybe another shock...prolly cave in a buy a used Avy. 66.5* degree HA is a given, 24" TT, wheelbase doesn't matter.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Want to buy my 2012 Raw? ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    I vote for a TNT 5.5 RFX 650b PLUS. If he makes this, I would even *cough* settle for the 44mm HT since I'd likely fit my perfectly dialed straight 1.125" X-Fusion Vengeance Coil on it, with reducer cups. I'd only have to buy the rear hoop since I think my Hadley's will convert to 142mm, and maybe another shock...prolly cave in a buy a used Avy. 66.5* degree HA is a given, 24" TT, wheelbase doesn't matter.
    You could probably get that exact bike from Lenz, for the right price, of course
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    You could probably get that exact bike from Lenz, for the right price, of course
    I know a guy that ordered a custom Lenz, and he's still waiting on it.

Plus, I haven't purchased a new bike in 17 years. Even if something similar to this went into production, I would still have to wait for it. Now, it would be fun to watch Turner "spin" it!

mtbr member
    I know a guy that ordered a custom Lenz, and he's still waiting on it.
    My aunt bought a Porsche with a lot of custom options checked. It took 19 months to deliver.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    My aunt bought a Porsche with a lot of custom options checked. It took 19 months to deliver.
    They probably had to retool all their China facilities.

mtbr member
    They probably had to retool all their China facilities.
    Don't be silly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Haters, internet fools and the 13 guys out there who have some brain left and post online, I have found a few new 5 spots. Large only, though. If you are interested, pm me.