mtbr member
    Aug 2004

lengthen steerer tube

I know there has been talk on ways to lengthen a steerer tube, but my searches produce nada. Any help would be appreciated..

IB

Lay off the Levers
    AFAIK the only way to lengthen a steerer tube is to replace it. Have you heard differently?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Hope it is not a Rockshox, you gotta buy the entire uppers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    AFAIK the only way to lengthen a steerer tube is to replace it. Have you heard differently?
    yeah, somebody posted some sort of an extension or something that extended the steerer tube by an inch or so.

By the way zilla, nice vids on the website!

mtbr member
    Yes it is possible to extend steerers, but the only company I know who do it is over here is Australia. The extension doesn't look particularly attractive but it is stronge and works, from the work I've seen. They can also o shorter extensions which fit to the top of the existing steerer too, but i couldn't find a pic of that.

Click Here for some details.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    that idea sounds as sketchy as a interview with ta. i guess ya could champhor the ends of 2 the pieces, butt weld em together with a inner sleeve and heat treat it but that too has gotta be more hassle and close to the cost of a new steerer.

now that ive seen the link, thats pretty close to what they do and what they charge. not bad lookin work overall though. ive got 4 frames i need repaired and if i cant find someone in the usa to do it i may contact these guys.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Stray Bullet
    My LBS sells something to make steer tubes longer in order to raise bar height. If I stop by there on the way home from work I'll get the name of the part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    How much do you need to raise it and what height stem do you have on your ride now? If you only need about 1/2-3/4" you may be able to get a low profile stem.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    There was some guy in the FR/DH forum (I think) who added about 1.5" to his steerer going against the advice of everyone else. Not sure if it held up or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    that idea sounds as sketchy as a interview with ta. i guess ya could champhor the ends of 2 the pieces, butt weld em together with a inner sleeve and heat treat it but that too has gotta be more hassle and close to the cost of a new steerer.

now that ive seen the link, thats pretty close to what they do and what they charge. not bad lookin work overall though. ive got 4 frames i need repaired and if i cant find someone in the usa to do it i may contact these guys.
    Cost wise over here a replacement steerer crown assembly from some well known manufacturers can cost $400-$500AU and hence $120AU is a much more attractive proposition. They are also sometimes the only option if you have a nice older fork and a steerer assembly is no longer an option.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    sounds like a stupid idea. Companies like WB or marz will replace them for about 60$, cheap compared to something catastrophic going wrong while riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And I don't think he was ever heard from again, was he?

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    There was some guy in the FR/DH forum (I think) who added about 1.5" to his steerer going against the advice of everyone else. Not sure if it held up or not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    in a case like that i see the draw. if done properly a sleeved patch can be stronger than a 1 pc tube. we did this with roll cages but never on the main roll hoop. hell, i had a patch in the halo of my cage and never gave it a thought.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Turner owner
    Maybe this is what you had in mind?

BHP-20 Extender
    Sizes: 25.4mm / 22.2mm.
    BHP-21 Extender
    Sizes: 28.6mm / 25.4mm.
    Special Features
    Adapter that enables you to make your steering tube longer without affecting the Ahead system.
    Threaded and threadless headsets compatible.
    Sand-blasted black BBB RoundHead included.

https://www.bbbparts.com/products/bi...ts/bhp2021.htm
    Member of the Trailjunkies
    Turner RFX
    Turner DHR
    Evil Faction

tg
    mtbr member
    e-bay the fork and start over

Members who have read this thread: 0