Leaky Lyrik- Mtbr.com

Thread: Leaky Lyrik

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Leaky Lyrik

Well I finally took the ('00) RFX out for a good and proper thrashing at Mammoth this weekend. The old beast did great! However, the fork (early Lyrik U-Turn) was leaving bits of oil on the stanchions by the end of the day. In true Fo fashiom, this was the first time I have taken this bike out to be ridden properly and was disappointed that I now have to deal with replacing seals. The fork is out of warranty (I think), so I'm probably on the hook for fixing it myself.

Has anyone else had this sort of premature (IMO) failure happen to them? Should I get Enduro seals instead of the stock RS ones? How hard is it to replace the seals?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~
    probably just need to clean them and change the oil. Pull the lowers off and spray the seals with alcohol and wipe, the service guide covers it well. Have you ridden this fork in the wet much? Dust?

It's typical for these forks to leave some oil on the stanchions, and the oil gets contaminated easily, that's why they need frequent oil changes. Hard riding or bottoming will contribute to this also, especially when combined with dirty seals and low/bad oil.

If you decide to do a seal change it's very easy, Enduro has good instructions.

banned
    Does RS really recommend alcohol for cleaning? Alcohol is terrible for rubber parts.

And I second airwreck's thoughts- the seals are designed for some controlled weepage, but not a massive amount. Keep the fork clean and ride a few more times and see if it resolves. Also, I've noted drops of oil on the seals actually helps seat/seal them and reduces leakage, either through expansion, or helping the sealing surface do its job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Taking a piece of film negative and sliding it down between the fork tube and seal has worked for me sometimes on a motorcycle if the only problem is a grain of sand/dirt holding the seal off of the fork tube not allowing it to seal good. Its easy enough and might be worth a try before taking it apart.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Last I checked Enduro didn't have seals for the Lyrik...I hope I am dated by this!

Yep, they are there! Most excellent....

i can't type the letter s
    Hey Paul,

I've never had a leaky Lyrik or any other fork with the exception of a 2000 Psylo leak. I dunno if I'm just fortunate or my method works but what I do to keep the seals clean and remove unwanted junk is, I put a few drops of Tri-flo on the uppers and let it soak the seals then I compress the fork very fast repeatedly until I begin to see specs of dirt and dust on the uppers from the oil going down the seals and cleaning out the debris. I then wipe the uppers clean once I'm satisfied the oil got into the seals enough to get my junk out.

banned
    Sep 2005
    2TNE...The RS line are some the most easily serviceable forks on the market IMO. As long as you get the right oil levels you should have no problem overhauling this fork. I had a Lyrik SA and I have been inside of it multiple times. They are amazing after a good service too. Nice that ES is providing seals finally, now what about PUSH?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Should I get Enduro seals instead of the stock RS ones?
    I would not go with Enduro Seals, they seal well but are noticeably sticky compared to stock RS seals. I had to decrease low speed damping on my Totem by about 3 clicks to compensate.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    It was definitely more than a usual amount of weeping. There was oil pooling at the top of the slider on one side. This is all from dry SoCal trails. Sadly, I have to wonder if this is because the bike has not ben ridden much and the seals may have dried out?

Thanks for the response guys. I'll take the seals out and give them a cleaning and a little oil to help with the initial sealing.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    It was definitely more than a usual amount of weeping. There was oil pooling at the top of the slider on one side. This is all from dry SoCal trails. Sadly, I have to wonder if this is because the bike has not ben ridden much and the seals may have dried out?

Thanks for the response guys. I'll take the seals out and give them a cleaning and a little oil to help with the initial sealing.

If you stored your bike on it's wheels, the seals most likely dried out too much. I would give it a few more rides before I replaced, they will most likely come back to life.

FWIW, when I got my Lyrik back from Darren after he serviced it (no Push mods, just two step service and oil change), he said to turn the fork upside down for half a minute before each ride to get those upper seals lubricated.
    Astigmatic Visionary

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Word.

The moondust will get in there no matter what and make a mess. If I am doing my typical desert riding I don't have any troubles but a few dusty alpine runs and I have dirty, oily stanchions. It never amounted to more than that, a quick cleaning (or removing/cleaning lowers in extreme situations) and they should be fine again.

JMH

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    some quick clean/lube instructions for the U-turn that I wrote for someone else wanting that info:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75#post4752875

I would highly suspect that a clean and lube of the seals will stop the leaking. As mentioned above, very fine dust can build up and prevent the seals from sealing properly. There is also very little actual lube in most modern forks and quite regular chainging is required. TFT (push in the UK) recomends this maintainance every 10+- riding hours.....

banned
    But does anyone realistically service every ten hours? I do ten hours a weekend and my rides always run 3-5 hours.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    But does anyone realistically service every ten hours?
    yes, riding at Whistler bike park when it's wet is a good reason, it's pretty easy with the Totem speed lube.

The performance of the fork diminishes noticably with low and or dirty oil.

banned
    Ahh, forgot about the speed lube. That's a nice feature.

Members who have read this thread: 0