King Khan upgrade to Fox 34 27.5+ or Wren- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm King Khan upgrade to Fox 34 27.5+ or Wren

With the news that the Fox 34 will run 4 inch fat tires, I'm days away from ordering a new fork and (hopefully) new end caps that'll let me convert my front hub from 150 to 110. (hub width corrected, thanks Stroganof)

The plan is to run Jumbo Jim 4" on my current front wheel (I9/Whiskey no9) with the new fork.

Any experiences?

I've seen at least one other person who has done the conversion talk about it in the fat bike suspension options thread, but I think they slackened it out more w/the 140mm Fox instead of sticking with 120mm. (I'm planning to stick with the 120mm to keep it close to the original geo unless there is a reason not to...)

If anyone is running a Wren on a Khan I'd be interested in hearing about that, too. My instinct is to run straight for the Fox b/c of the geo match and I'm more familiar and comfortable with them as a company ... but I'm open to options.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by mc2600; 04-02-2016 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you sure you have your front hub widths right? The Bluto fits a 150mm hub, not 135 or 110. Being the same boat the Wren seems like the best option. You get to keep the front wheel and they seem to be getting it dialed in per other posters. Plus, the Fox has 34mm stanchions where the Wren has 36(?). The Wren can also be ordered (or at least configured) to get the right a-c, and it seems easy enough to swap to 140 and back if you want to mess around.

Elitest thrill junkie
    One little issue with the Wren is that people are having the steerer tube loosen in the crown, making the wheel go sideways while riding. Go to the fat-bike forum and read about it and all the other issues with the fork. IMO, it's not really a serious product and they are doing product testing on the customers that have bought it. There's a few people that "really want it to work", but if my stuff did any of the stuff that they've described, I'd junk it in a minute.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    @Stroganof, you are right --- my current front hub is 150mm, so it'll either be end caps to convert it down to 110mm or a new hub if I go with the Fox.

@Jayem, I have read those comments, too, although it seems like they've been making progress from early versions to the current iteration. Either way, the Fox is where my head is at the moment.

I talked to Greg @ Turner on Friday and he said the Fox reps were there earlier in the week and this was part of the conversation. Hoping for a call back from Dave on Monday (or maybe a forum appearance for the small but devoted group of Khan owners) on some details. I'm really looking forward to dumping the Bluto.

Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [ deleted double post ]
    Last edited by mc2600; 04-04-2016 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Apparently Wren has fixed the problem with the steer tubes twisting (see thread on Fatbike forum) and seem to have figured out the damper problem. The Wren is a work in progress to a degree, but it seems fairly modular and easy to upgrade. Buying yet another wheel/hub is worth avoiding IMO.

mtbr member
    I'm the guy with the 140mm Fox 34 on the front of my Khan. I could not be happier with the performance over the Bluto. I went with the 140 travel and figured I could reduce it to 120 if I didn't like the change and can report that It will be staying at 140.
    Originally rode this with 27.5+ wheels and now also have 65mm Marge Lites with Jumbo Jims. No clearance issues.
    The bike is fantastic in both configurations.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I'm the guy with the 140mm Fox 34 on the front of my Khan. I could not be happier with the performance over the Bluto. I went with the 140 travel and figured I could reduce it to 120 if I didn't like the change and can report that It will be staying at 140.
    Originally rode this with 27.5+ wheels and now also have 65mm Marge Lites with Jumbo Jims. No clearance issues.
    The bike is fantastic in both configurations.

Happy to answer any questions you have.
    How is it in regards to bb clearance with the 650b plus setup vs 65mm ML? Inquiring minds want to know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankeron View Post
    How is it in regards to bb clearance with the 650b plus setup vs 65mm ML? Inquiring minds want to know
    Virtually no difference. Sorry for the crappy pic, but the OD of both setups is so close I don't notice any difference.