Dream it, Do it.

INTERBIKE 2016: Turner Flux v4.0 review is posted

I've just posted my review of the Turner Flux v4.0 after my test ride yesterday at Bootleg Canyon. It's located at: INTERBIKE 2016: TURNER FLUX V4.0 REVIEW (120MM REAR TRAVEL) ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES

I also have a review of the Fuji Auric with 160mm of rear travel posted at: INTERBIKE 2016: Fuji Auric Review (160mm Rear Travel) ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES.

I'll be doing more demo bike rides today and posting additional reviews at: Reviews ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^thanks

also, If available would really like to see an in depth review of the Alchemy Artkos.

Curious to know what trails you're testing the bikes on in Bootleg, are you doing the same loop for each bike? Bootlegs a good place to test the limits of all these bikes

thanks!

Dream it, Do it.
    Alchemy Artkos ride is on tap for today. I'm going to sit at the Alchemy booth until I get on the medium bike. haha

In terms of loops, I am mostly riding the XC loops as I want to get an idea of how the bikes both climb and descend. The bikes that feel good get taken on the long XC loop. The ones that don't get the cutoff for a quicker trip back. I generally quickly get an idea of how much time I want to spend on a bike. There are some bikes that I can't WAIT to return believe it or not .
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Out of curiosity, how does the Flux compare handling-wise with the Czar? My '15 Sultan just feels too slow, handling-wise. It felt like the original 100mm Sultan handled better. Not sure if it's a BB height/travel thing. So I'm considering a Czar or a Sultan, something that is more fun at Duthie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    ... There are some bikes that I can't WAIT to return believe it or not .
    Pray tell.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmadse1 View Post
    Pray tell.
    PM me for details.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the Flux compare handling-wise with the Czar? My '15 Sultan just feels too slow, handling-wise. It felt like the original 100mm Sultan handled better. Not sure if it's a BB height/travel thing. So I'm considering a Czar or a Sultan, something that is more fun at Duthie.
    The Flux is probably even a bit faster steering then the Czar. To me, the Czar feels a bit XC oriented on our local terrain in the Seattle area and with a longer stem is a bit slower steering than with a more modern short stem/wide bar setup. Have you ridden the RFX? Your feedback to the RFX might give me an indication of how much steering quickness you're looking for.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    ^thanks

also, If available would really like to see an in depth review of the Alchemy Artkos.

Curious to know what trails you're testing the bikes on in Bootleg, are you doing the same loop for each bike? Bootlegs a good place to test the limits of all these bikes

thanks!
    I got a nice long ride in on the Arktos today. It was a fantastic bike. My review is coming out later tonight or tomorrow morning and I can provide comparisons to the RFX if desired.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Elitest thrill junkie
    So I'm considering a Czar or a Sultan, something that is more fun at Duthie.
    You are considering a Czar or Sultan for Duthie? For what, to ride on the road? This can't possibly be the same Duthie I rode last month in Washington with the stunts and features. I can see living near there and riding it as your local trail on the one XC trail that's actually there, if it's just to get out and ride from your house, but you'd be missing out on a lot of fun riding nearby IMO. Otherwise, if you're doing those stunts and have the suspension set up at all like I would for that kind of bike, when you land a big jump wrong you'll probably kill the shock/bike pretty fast. With the shock pumped up enough to handle it and possibly not collapse on the first jump, it'd be like a hardtail everywhere else.

I can't comment on the Czar, but I picked up a 100mm travel Pivot and I have ridden the DW Sultan. The 429SL I have is fun and super nimble, goes back and forth super fast, not slow, not lethargic, lots of fun. The wheels and stem I'm running probably help a lot, as does not putting on long fork, but I wanted it for XC and exactly what I just said, to be quick, fast, nimble, light, and so on. It's everything a Sultan is not. It makes more level-stuff fun because you don't need gravity to assist as much and you can make super quick line changes. The Sultan was kind of a weird place for me as far as travel, not enough for me to rip big time on DHs, but possibly too much for a nimble XC racer, like the Czar. I think 100-120 is a good travel amount for an XC bike, but the geometry has to follow IMO.

I see the Czar as an XC racing rig, whether it's shorter tracks or longer endurance, where you might go with a 120mm fork. It's secondary (just as valid) use IMO would be for trail riders that are less aggressive/lighter, maybe live in very flat places, etc. The Sultan would be a little more aggressive 29er IMO, little more orientated for the all-around rider on those longer rides with gnarly terrain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ]I see the Czar as an XC racing rig, whether it's shorter tracks or longer endurance, where you might go with a 120mm fork. It's secondary (just as valid) use IMO would be for trail riders that are less aggressive/lighter, maybe live in very flat places, etc. The Sultan would be a little more aggressive 29er IMO, little more orientated for the all-around rider on those longer rides with gnarly terrain.
    I would tend to agree that the Czar isn't the right type of bike for Duthie. For a 29er, my first inclination generally for a bike to ride Duthie would be to suggest bikes with more DH-oriented geometry such as the Evil bikes. Progression Cycle (also close to Duthie) has demos. But, you say you're looking for quicker handling and the Evil bikes (both 29er and 27.5) lean towards being more stable and slower steering. I really think that the RFX splits the difference between faster handling with smaller wheels than the Czar while also providing great DH capability.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    My remaining bike reviews from Outdoor Demo at Interbike this year have now also been posted. They are at:

Turner Flux (120mm rear travel): INTERBIKE 2016: TURNER FLUX V4.0 REVIEW (120MM REAR TRAVEL) ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Fuji Auric (160mm rear travel): INTERBIKE 2016: Fuji Auric Review (160mm Rear Travel) ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Alchemy Arktos (160mm rear travel): INTERBIKE 2016: Alchemy Arktos Review (160mm rear travel) ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    DeVinci Django (120mm rear travel): INTERBIKE 2016: DeVinci Django Carbon ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Cannondale Habit Carbon SE (120mm travel): INTERBIKE 2016: Cannondale Habit Carbon SE Review ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    GT Sensor Carbon Pro (130mm rear travel): INTERBIKE 2016: GT Sensor Carbon Pro ? DIRT MERCHANT BIKES
    Marin Mount Vision Pro (140mm rear travel): http://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/spe...0mm-rear-trave
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Duthie is more than just the black trails, all of the blue/green loops, and the connecting Grand Ridge ride. These are definitely XC trails.

I generally prefer Turner geometry to Pivot/Titus geometry. He tends to make the bikes twitchier, where Turner is more stable. Subjectively I prefer more stable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The best way to describe where I'm coming from is that I had an original Flux, and then got a 5-spot. I didn't care for the added travel of the 5-spot, as it made me feel I was "on" the bike, not "in" it. I'm a die-hard XC rider. Technical for me is rock gardens, ledges, hard climbs, etc... On the 5-spot, I just rolled over everything, but with the Flux I could really throw it around and finesse my way through obstacles. So generally, the longer travel bikes are less appealing. On the latest Sultan, riding Duthie, it's just not handling the tight stuff well. I end up under-correcting, then over-correcting. I'm not 100% sure this is a wheel size/travel thing, so I want to dial the Sultan a little before getting serious about replacing it. But it seems clear to me an RFX would be too much travel for me. 100mm seems the sweet spot for me, but the 29er wheels might be the issue on the tight stuff, so I'm wondering if 120mm with 27.5 wheels might fit the bill.

Dream it, Do it.
    The best way to describe where I'm coming from is that I had an original Flux, and then got a 5-spot. I didn't care for the added travel of the 5-spot, as it made me feel I was "on" the bike, not "in" it. I'm a die-hard XC rider. Technical for me is rock gardens, ledges, hard climbs, etc... On the 5-spot, I just rolled over everything, but with the Flux I could really throw it around and finesse my way through obstacles. So generally, the longer travel bikes are less appealing. On the latest Sultan, riding Duthie, it's just not handling the tight stuff well. I end up under-correcting, then over-correcting. I'm not 100% sure this is a wheel size/travel thing, so I want to dial the Sultan a little before getting serious about replacing it. But it seems clear to me an RFX would be too much travel for me. 100mm seems the sweet spot for me, but the 29er wheels might be the issue on the tight stuff, so I'm wondering if 120mm with 27.5 wheels might fit the bill.
    I'm considering whether to get Flux demo bikes for demos at Duthie/Grand Ridge if I get enough interest in the Flux. I've got Medium to X-Large RFX demo bikes right now. That might be the best way to figure out whether the Flux is the best for for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm about 99% certain the RFX would be going in the wrong direction for me. I want less travel, not more. I want that quick yet stable handling magic of the old XCE/Burner/Flux. But I've also gotten used to 9er wheels, so I know going back to 26 won't work, possibly 27.5, but we'll see.

I'm a luddite these days. All the kids want more travel and big jumps. I still love XC handling and less travel. So I'm bucking the trend. Seeing that the new Czar went to 120mm travel makes it seem iffy for me. I like the DW-Link, but handling wise the old 100mm Sultan was better than the new one to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I come from back in the days when my GT RTS was a "downhill" bike, so the freeride-style geometry of modern bikes doesn't really suit my riding style. I do want to explore 27.5 more though, as that might be the ticket. The 29 wheels might just be too big for Duthie and some of the other trails close to town.

...and 120mm was a "short" stem

Dream it, Do it.
    Hey jjcarr, I just posted a video of David Turner talking about the design philosophy behind the new Turner Flux v4.0. Maybe that might be helpful. The video is located at:

INTERBIKE 2016 Video: David Turner talks about the design of the new Turner Flux v4.0 — DIRT MERCHANT BIKES

If you're serious about the new Turner Flux let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting you a demo of the new Flux at Duthie.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If I go forward, I'll probably try to find a used Flux frame first, then if I decide I really like it, get a new one. I don't want to risk $3k+ on a new frame until I've been able to get a fair # of miles on one.

mtbr member
    I'm about 99% certain the RFX would be going in the wrong direction for me. I want less travel, not more. I want that quick yet stable handling magic of the old XCE/Burner/Flux. But I've also gotten used to 9er wheels, so I know going back to 26 won't work, possibly 27.5, but we'll see.

I'm a luddite these days. All the kids want more travel and big jumps. I still love XC handling and less travel. So I'm bucking the trend. Seeing that the new Czar went to 120mm travel makes it seem iffy for me. I like the DW-Link, but handling wise the old 100mm Sultan was better than the new one to me.
    Unless I'm missing something the new Czar is like the old Czar.. 100mm rear travel. As far as the fork you can run it with 100mm or 120mm. Most find 120 to be perfect unless your all out racing.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My mistake, I interpreted the 120mm fork spec for this year on the v1.1 as indicating the rear travel had increased as well.

Dream it, Do it.
    An update to this thread:

I've been testing out the large Flux frame with a shorter 40mm stem. The larger size with a shorter stem seems noticeably more stable to me than the medium size with the standard 70mm stem. At 5'9", I fit on either the medium or the large frame size.

If you're looking for a faster steering bike, perhaps err on the smaller size.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Anyone in Denver/Boulder/CO with a Flux that I could check out? I'm also between sizes and don't want to make a mistake. Comparing a the Flux to my current SS 29er bike:

Current Bike Reach: 16.4 Stack: 24.4
    Medium Flux Reach: 16.8 Stack: 22.7
    Large Flux Reach: 17.5 Stack: 23.3

Thoughts?

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed View Post
    Anyone in Denver/Boulder/CO with a Flux that I could check out? I'm also between sizes and don't want to make a mistake. Comparing a the Flux to my current SS 29er bike:

Current Bike Reach: 16.4 Stack: 24.4
    Medium Flux Reach: 16.8 Stack: 22.7
    Large Flux Reach: 17.5 Stack: 23.3

Thoughts?
    What length of stem, bar width & rise, and # cm of spacers on your current ride? Do you like the fit?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    What length of stem, bar width & rise, and # cm of spacers on your current ride? Do you like the fit?
    100mm stem, 650mm bars (approx), minimal rise, a few spacers:

It fits like a glove.... or.... I'm just used to riding this size since it's been my only bike for about 4 years:

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would want the large with a 50mm stem and at least 780mm bars. I won't go longer than 50mm on a mountain bike. I used to have a setup like that and would never go back. I hope you can check out both sizes.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.