No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Increasing Spot travel

I did a search and got overwhelmed with information. Hoping to get a simple answer to the question: Is it possible to increase the travel on an older Horst-style 5 Spot? If so, how? And how does that affect the geo? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Which year Horstlink Spot??
    Horst Style Spots came with 5.1" rockers originally. Then 5.3" Then 5.5". And you can get ~5.75 rockers from Push.

I went from 5.1 to Turner's 5.5 rockers. Together with a 140mm fork it was one great ride.
    If you're talking about more travel then the RFX is one sweet ride .
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes. You can go to 5.5 inches with new rockers from Turner. They're on their web site and cost $150, I believe. The only difference in geo is that it increased bottom bracket height by a half inch.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I was hoping to get closer to 6, but that doesn't seem possible. I like the BB height increase, too. For my trails, somewhere around 14-ish unsagged is perfect. Could run w/ a 140mm Pike, but would prefer to move to min. 150mm up front to slack it out a touch. For reference, I believe it's an '05 frame. Not mine, a local I'm considering picking up.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quality of travel is always better than quantity.

If you're running an RP23, get a coil DHX5 (not very expensive usually) and put that on there. I'd rather have that setup every day and sunday rather than 6" of RP23 travel. If you want real high quality of travel, get an Avalanche Chubbie or Push MX tune (assuming you have a fox vanilla/DHX chassi).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ahhhh religion. The last thing I'd say is that DHX5 increases quality. Don't go there. It'll suck the life out of the bike (5spot... trail bike... up and down counts...).
    RP23 isn't bad at all. (low volume air sleeve or DGC's mod can really help if you are heavy and running through the travel)
    DHX RC4 absolutely rocks (at least on my RFX) . Chubbie, CCDB, Pushed anything should be fantastic according to tons of posts here. DHX5 sucks.

got the dhr...
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Ahhhh religion. The last thing I'd say is that DHX5 increases quality. Don't go there. It'll suck the life out of the bike (5spot... trail bike... up and down counts...).
    RP23 isn't bad at all. (low volume air sleeve or DGC's mod can really help if you are heavy and running through the travel)
    DHX RC4 absolutely rocks (at least on my RFX) . Chubbie, CCDB, Pushed anything should be fantastic according to tons of posts here. DHX5 sucks.
    Ive run an rp2, and am on a dhx5 atm. id definatley say that the dhx feels better, but if it was me, id have both, rp23 for xc/am. dhx for enduro/light freeride. dhx 5 is not as good as an rc4, or a ccdb, but its still really good. i love mine. will probably switch to an elka, rc4, or ccdb soon, but for now, it is very good. dh5's are pretty damn cheap now, and feel good, like i said, there is better, but its still really good.

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Sent you a message via email. The short of it is for the bb height you need the push rockers. Note may buzz the seat tube with larger tire with full compression b/c early 05 spots had front der cable stop on back of seat tube. Later 05 spots had this stop moved to the side
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    I ran a 5-spot with push rockers and pushed RP3, and it was great for South Mountain. I traded it for a RFX though, and I like it better. If you think you really want a bigger bike, keep your eyes out for a used Pack or RFX. It's a bit heavier, but I think it climbs the rocks better.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    I have a hard time believing that the DHX 5 "sucks" and the RC4 is "kickass". The DHX 5 is not that bad of a shock, and perhaps it didn't work for you, but it works well for lots of people. The DHX 5 AIR sucks due to lack of mid-stroke support, but no one has ever complained much about the DHX 5 coil, except that some of the higher end options like the Chubbie and RC4 do improve the ride. I've done the RP3 and RP23 stuff myself, and by my account they have too much compression damping, which causes the rear end to buck you in the rough, propedal is just like this, but to a much higher extent. Push should be able to solve this, but I've had no problems climbing on spots, RFXs, or even highlines, all equipped with DHX 5s (coil). Everybody is different and we all know that it is the rider who makes the biggest difference. I would still suggest though that improving the quality of the suspension (Push) is far more important than gaining an extra .5" of travel.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Lots of talk about changing shocks here. And for good reason. My experience has been that changing rockers to Turner 5.5's or Push 5.75's will increase the leverage ratio on your current shock and overwhelm it, blowing through the travel too easily. You may have to replace or Push the shock if it's an RP3 or a low leverage RP23. BTW, I think Turner no longer has any 5.5 rockers. Sounds like you need an RFX!

Team Blindspot

No BB change with 5.5 rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter
    Yes. You can go to 5.5 inches with new rockers from Turner. They're on their web site and cost $150, I believe. The only difference in geo is that it increased bottom bracket height by a half inch.
    5.5 rockers do not change BB height. DT achieved that by changing the length of the seat stay on the TNT models. 5.5's will just give you more travel and not change geo.

If you want and increase in BB hgt, you will need to find yourself some Push Rockers. They are no longer available.

Good Luck.
    Astigmatic Visionary

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I ran a 5-spot with push rockers and pushed RP3, and it was great for South Mountain. I traded it for a RFX though, and I like it better. If you think you really want a bigger bike, keep your eyes out for a used Pack or RFX. It's a bit heavier, but I think it climbs the rocks better.
    Hammer meet nail. I think I really need to keep an eye out for a Pack or RFX. I'm not unhappy with my current 26er (a 5.5 Prophet with coil Pike), but it's not significantly different than my 120mm Astrix Monk 29er.

In fact, dare I say, the only place the smaller bike is better is going down technical stuff (National, for instance, or tech stuff at PMP). The 29er climbs better and is faster until the techy down stuff begins.

What I want is a 26er that's a fair departure from the 29er and specific for more gnar (higher bb, 67ish head angle, ~6 inches of travel, around 30ish pounds with air on both ends).

FWIW, I've used several Fox air shocks (R and RP23) and was pleased with the quality of the travel in most regards.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I remember quite a lot of posts here on a sublime DHX5 ride, improved by other shocks or Pushing.
    And that includes "hardly couch newbies" such as Saar G7, Brodiegrrl and ElChingon.
    As for "hard to believe" difference between DHX5 and RC4, the internet is filling up with similar experiences.
    Sure shock quality per travel if extremely important. But the DHX5 suggestion is not the surefire way to get there.