I'm Selling my 5 Spot for a Better Bike - better climbing and descending- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I'm Selling my 5 Spot for a Better Bike - better climbing and descending

I've been riding a TNT Spot since 2007. Fantastic bike. Best I've ever owned. It blows away the Stumpjumper that I came from, and the Yeti 575 and Titus Motolite that it competed with. That was until now. Until I found a bike that is significantly better.

My new ride is so much better that I'm not even considering keeping the 5 Spot around. Its on Craig's list as I write this. I had thought that I'd keep it, but after my last ride, there's just no reason to keep it around as I'd never ride it. The new bike is that much better.

The new ride is a better climber, descender, better at rolling chunk, better in techie, better hauling down smooth, better cornering. I have found no instance of Colorado Front Range riding where I'd rather be on the 5 Spot. I never thought I'd say that, I like the Spot that much. But fast or slow, smooth or rocky - its all better on the new ride.

The new bike?

2011 Turner Sultan

I am just amazed. I will never go back to 26 inch wheels. The 29er just rolls over everything going up or down. The DW lets you stand and attack or sit and tractor up and over chunk.

Add a gravity dropper and a 29" wide handlebar and this thing is fantastico.

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone shot. It's all I've got at the moment - having too much fun riding to deal with a camera just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm Selling my 5 Spot for a Better Bike - better climbing and descending-sultan.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jerk!
    Making the easy look difficult since 1980.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch View Post
    My new ride is so much better that I'm not even considering keeping the 5 Spot around.
    I've been thinking about making the same switch, but still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Glad to hear you liked it so much, maybe I need to get it done...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hear you

But I don't want to be held to one wheel size, so I own a 26er and 29er. I like the 29er on some trails and the 26er on other trails. I disagree a 29er is better in ever instance of riding but it you do great.

Mexican e-rider
    Also a convert here, so far I'm loving the sultan but I agree with Jaibo, there are some applications better suited for my 5 spot (although very limited). I like that the Spot is more manuverable in steep rough stuff, for everything else the Sultan takes it. Just today I cleared a climb that I had never done on the Spot, on a Flux or on any hardtail!
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Drank that koolaid a few years ago. As my riding grew more technical, 26-inch wheels came back. That's all I ride these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Drank that koolaid a few years ago. As my riding grew more technical, 26-inch wheels came back. That's all I ride these days.
    That's interesting. I was anticipating the technical riding as being the place that I'd miss the 5 Spot. But, in both climbing and in descending, the larger wheel diameter bridges over stuff that my 5 Spot gets knocked around on. And, I have no "slow spin up" issue that I also had assumed would be a downside.

I even cleared two tight switchbacks that I usually miss on the Spot because you're practically nose wheelied by the time you have a chance to turn - the Sultan rolled through it better (for me anyway).

It may be that I'm not one to pull out trials moves - it is harder to wheelie on the Sultan. But, for me, that doesn't seem to come into play when on the trail. When faced with a jagged rock and/or large rock/waterbar step, the Sultan has better roll-over. Maybe if its all of the above in a tight switchback where the longer wheel base might cause trouble, but I haven't found that yet.

The 5 Spot has a shorter wheelbase and theoretically can accelerate faster. I guess that could give it the edge in a tight, stepped turn, or maybe if youre hopping to change directions. So far, the upside of the Sultan has been of more notice and value in the places that I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I've been thinking about making the same switch, but still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Glad to hear you liked it so much, maybe I need to get it done...
    One demo ride at Apex was enough to convince me. Half a dozen rides later, I can't see ever going back. Maybe if you wanted a weight weenie xc machine, you could build something lighter. But riding stuff like Dakota Ridge, Mathew Winters, Bergen Peak, Apex, the Sultan is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    But I don't want to be held to one wheel size, so I own a 26er and 29er. I like the 29er on some trails and the 26er on other trails. I disagree a 29er is better in ever instance of riding but it you do great.
    On what kind of trail do you prefer the 26er?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I ride in Arizona, which is steep and, you know, really rocky. And I'm 6'2", so I'm "sized right" for 29ers.

I've got nothing against them; I've owned, I think, five 29ers.

I will give that a well-built FS 29er has some advantage on steep, technical climbs. However, in my experience, on super-steep hacked-out descents (like most everything here), the platform really falls short relative to 26ers.

For example (at least here in AZ), many folks own a 29er or two. They're no longer really a niche product. But you almost never see anyone riding their big wheels on the really technical terrain (National, Holbert, Geronimo, etc.).

All that said, if you enjoy the Sultan more than the Spot, that's all that's relevant. It's a nice rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ +1. The chunkier it is, the bigger advantage, especially in the down direction when it gets steep. So much less of a feeling of about to go over the bars on the next wheel-stopping piece of chunk.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I never liked how my '07 climbed, either (Front Range stuff). I think some of the love you're feeling for your Sultan is partly due to the larger hoops but partly it just climbs better than your Spot.

The DW Spots I've tested also climbed better than my '07 Spot. IOW, it's not just 'cause it's a Sultan, it's because it's not an '07 Spot. I know what I mean
    The only reply to a fool is silence

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I never liked how my '07 climbed, either (Front Range stuff). I think some of the love you're feeling for your Sultan is partly due to the larger hoops but partly it just climbs better than your Spot.

The DW Spots I've tested also climbed better than my '07 Spot. IOW, it's not just 'cause it's a Sultan, it's because it's not an '07 Spot. I know what I mean
    Yep. Part of it is the DW versus TNT.

That said, I demo'd the 2011 DW Spot and Sultan back to back at Apex and while the DW Spot was a great ride - and better than my TNT Spot, the DW Sultan caused me to post all my bike stuff to Craig's list and order one immediately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    ^^^ +1. The chunkier it is, the bigger advantage, especially in the down direction when it gets steep. So much less of a feeling of about to go over the bars on the next wheel-stopping piece of chunk.
    are you saying on 26er you feel safer like the guy you are quoting?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    One demo ride at Apex was enough to convince me. Half a dozen rides later, I can't see ever going back. Maybe if you wanted a weight weenie xc machine, you could build something lighter. But riding stuff like Dakota Ridge, Mathew Winters, Bergen Peak, Apex, the Sultan is the way to go.
    I've tossed around the idea of building up a racier 29er, something like a Specialized Epic 29er, and then keeping the Spot as my burly build but then I wonder as a non-racer / slow guy how often I actually use that bike....

My 29er SS is a fun bike, what I love about it is that it rolls really well down the dirt road / path allowing me to ride to trails I would normally drive to since my Spot with 2.35s on it isn't much fun on the pavement.

Out spokin'

The new bike?

2011 Turner Sultan

+ rep.

Right on. I did 52 miles on my Sultan yesterday... including 9,200' gain (and descent!) Going up, Joel cruised away from me on his 23# SS (Joel's stronger than me). But going down, nobody could touch me. '11 Sultan... right there... steering... suspension... everything. Whoa! I own the bike I never deserved. Whatever. I own it. And I can make it sing, and vice versa.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Nice !

My 09 DW Sultan is riding so nice I can't see upgrading to anything else yet......just a couple of changes like the PUSHed Monarch RT3 rear shock have been added since ! Its a really sweet bike ! TIG.