I think SRAM got one in under the radar...- Mtbr.com
    Never enough time to ride

I think SRAM got one in under the radar...

Had a bit of an issue with my X9 derailleur whilst on a trip earlier this week so I called back to the shop and had CC get one on the way from SRAM for me beings it was only 6 months old.

When I got back into the shop today my new der was sitting still in the bubble wrap on my bench waiting for me, and boy did I poop pants when I opened it up. To say that they overhauled the derailleur would be an understatement. I apologize for the picture quality, I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow when the sun is up.

The body is narrower, the jockey cage sits at a very different angle, gone is the bushing upper pulley with pin and the bolt and both pulleys are sealed bearings. The cable mounts to the back of the derailleur now, and over all it's about 25g lighter!

Just have to get it mounted up and see what it's all about!

happy trails....

squish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Got mine the same as you. Warranty replacement. I like it!!

I'm really diggin the slimmed down profile a lot. Also seems like the jockey cage spring is a tad stiffer on this one too. Can't wait to try it out. Any difference in pefromance?

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Just around the block. Performance is on par at the very least. I really dig the cable routing but kinda PIA to get to. Luckily it's set and forget. Just don't cut your cable too short....

Cool, look forward to getting the bike up and running tomorrow, the last week was hell on it and the drivetrain was shelled. New bb bearings, chain cassette and rear der. The Amp post went to hell...again, that thing does not seem to like wet weather, the neoprene boot acts like a filter and lets all the little particles through which pack themselves into important moving parts of the post and cause it to jam...how fun! So Thomson and a QR lever it is until I can afford a GD.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

ride
    I agree with 123 on the cable routing. PITA, but livable. First time I put one on a customer bike was a few weeks ago. Pulled it out of the box, went to route the cable and whoaa! What's up here? I had to take a moment. I've been riding Xt/XTR lately and I'm curious to see if any performance gains are realized with the redesign.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Both bearings are sealed - BBT!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Pulled it out of the box, went to route the cable and whoaa! What's up here? I had to take a moment. .

Funny, I think I said the same thing.

I definately agree that the cable routing is PITA. The shifting feels a bit crisper than the old deraileur.

I did run into an issue that I need to solve, my lower limit screw contacts the rear parallelogram when I get down into the 9th cog?!? I'm looking at it and thinking I just need to get out the dremmel and buzz it down a bit, or maybe just make a call to SRAM on monday, doesn't look like I'll be riding this weekend any way with the storms they're predicting.

I can see a difference in the shape of the pivot area where it makes contact on mine, thinking maybe I just need to flatten it out.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c
    Both bearings are sealed - BBT!
    My thoughts exactly on that one!

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Mine was too. I just gave the HL screw 3/4 of a turn and all is good. Still down shifts just fine. Thats a hell of a tolerance.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I wonder what the xo will look like (or is xo out in favor of xx?)

It looks a lot nicer than the shimano shadow rd.

I tried bumpin the H screw a bit, and I also tried loosening the L screw a bit, and all I ended up with was a constant tick tick from the bottom cog and a deraillment into the spokes on the big cog. Think I'll try the dremel tomorrow and see what happens, I'm never afraid to modify something if it'll make it work the way it should. And it is definately a very tight tolerance.

Also discovered that the upper pully might be asymetrical, and if you don't put it back in correctly it doesn't shift very nicely.

Not sure about the X.0 at this point, I know it isn't going away just yet, XX has not caught on and there's going to be plenty of XC and Light Trail guys on Triples that want the lighter derailleur and better performance. Besides they just released the X.0 in all kinds of kick ass colors!

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

banned
    Sep 2005
    How about dialing out the chain tension screw. I noticed a c*u*nt hair of relief when I messed with that too.

mtbr member
    Having spent most of the week grinding bits of my X7 mech off on the trails here in Les Arcs, it's music to my ears to hear that SRAM have finally made some headway against shadow stuff. I far prefer SRAM shifting, but Shimano mechs just last oodles longer, are cheaper and are (were) lower profile.

I'm going to have to buy a new mech at the end of this holiday (if not before) I was just going to bite the bullet and go for a full Saint set up, but this new X9 is really quite tempting...

Funny, I started out with a shadow XT on my RFX and about 8 months later I was looking for a derailleur that wasn't all slopped out! In the last couple of months I've replaced two other XT shadows that were shelled out the same way. I think shimano needs to beef up the pivots in the Shadows, they don't seem to hold up to the pounding as well as the non-shadow ders, or at least the ones that don't say Saint on them.

I just got done working over the new derailleur, I'll post pics of a mod I had to make here in a bit, food sounds better now.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Okay, so I figured out my little issue with the new rear derailleur. As Mtbiker suggested I tried adjusting the B tension screw but it didn't get me any where. So I got out the dremel, and with a little patience and a steady hand, I took care of the issue.

Better to show pics than to try to explain it. Hopefully this is something SRAM will take note of and fix in the near future. One note, both derailleurs are set up to work on my bike in the pics, so the difference's you see are pretty significant.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0