mtbr member

I think raw is the best color because

Dave Turner makes more money with every sale.

Just sayin'
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

banned
    Mar 2009
    Well, also there is the ease of maintenance, not having to worry about scratches, and you have a good base to paint it any color you want or polish it up...

Yeah, seeing as how I can get the front and back triangle painted for 225, and only guessing the fraction of this cost DT would actually pay, he must make a killing off raw frame markup... great analysis brainiac!

mtbr member
    I'd love a raw anodized or clear coat front and rear.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Dave Turner makes more money with every sale.

Just sayin'
    He makes more money? Are you his dad?

Making fat cool since '71

Cuz

Then this looks b!tchin' (and you won't scratch your PC/paint, and the ano won't get those sweet wear areas, and it's more aerodynamic, and my fat arse is so much faster without the few grams of pc...it's wicked).

Brock...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think raw is the best color because-001-2-.jpg  

Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

ride
    Turner bikes probably does make a bit more money on a raw bike than a painted bike and I'm happy to give it to them. They work damn hard for the little money they actually make. It's not like DT is getting rich or anything. The margin difference on a painted vs unpainted bike is likely a lot thinner than you think. I prefer to look at it like the price is X for any given bike and you can have it painted your choice of stock colors for no extra charge
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    He makes more money? Are you his dad?
    Yes.

No.

Large member
    Yes.

No.
    Maybe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Maybe.
    Maybe DT doesn't have to pay the powdercoater.

Maybe I am his dad. Though, at 37 yo, I should be making more money with my time machine than I am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe.
    So.

mtbr member
    In the words of old dirty bastard:

2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

tardcore
    Funny I was going to comment that it's not standard, but it is on every "available" bike for 2010. I guess it's part of the conspiracy All the corporate hording has me concerned, I mean do you think Dave is following the European model of only making 12x's that of the lowest paid employee? I guess that's not including bonuses but just think of the shear metrics of the extra dough he's making on the Raw finish, it's mind boggling. That extra $50 bucks per frame must have DT laughing all the way to the bank, that fat cat bastard, I'm outraged. The thought of a man making a living in a capitalist society has me outraged! WTF! Next thing he'll be selling selling Sultans to midgets, the nerve! WHat's next? The Flux as a DHR replacement?

Seriously, I love the raw but am far too impatient to wait so I gots what I gots but when I get bored I'm gonna strip her down and polish her up.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, yes....

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Turner bikes probably does make a bit more money on a raw bike than a painted bike and I'm happy to give it to them. They work damn hard for the little money they actually make. It's not like DT is getting rich or anything. The margin difference on a painted vs unpainted bike is likely a lot thinner than you think. I prefer to look at it like the price is X for any given bike and you can have it painted your choice of stock colors for no extra charge
    Poor Dave! He should get a bell and a guitar and play on the side of the road. I'm sure he is the only one who works hard and doesn't get rich

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Turnerbike sells bikes! They make money!! Oh no, the make money!

I thought they made bikes for charity...
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Rocky Mountain Instinct C90 BC 2019

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama
    Seriously, I love the raw but am far too impatient to wait so I gots what I gots but when I get bored I'm gonna strip her down and polish her up.
    Save yourself some time/hassle and take the frame down to The Paint Shop when you're ready to have it stripped. They're down on Candelaria, just west of I-25.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If it is $50 savings.... that is ALL 100% profit which adds up. A extra 3% or 4% straight to the bottom line is huge in the business world...good for them. However.... a raw frame has to be scratch free.. the powdercoated ones can has a scratch or two because it is covered in the pc process...I never liked raw.. I think it looks unfinished.

tardcore
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Save yourself some time/hassle and take the frame down to The Paint Shop when you're ready to have it stripped. They're down on Candelaria, just west of I-25.
    Thanks for the tip.

Large member
    DT asked me not to post this but it's important you know. The raw frames are actually a bit different. They are made from pure platinum which Dave then hand paints himself with a very small brush made of pure bosnian badger pubic hair and silver paint to make them look "raw".

He then takes pictures of them for the website before carefully personally sanding them down by hand with a 1"x1" piece of wet and dry to achieve the true "raw" finish. Next every third frame is thrown into the nearby lake to make sure that absolutely no profit is made for himself or his major shareholder (the Bank of Shatner's Bassoon, based in the Cayman Islands, which holds $3.6bn of Turner stock).

Dave can then look you in the eye as an equal who feeds his family with pure love.

Welcome to the world of big business.
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 01-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    If it is $50 savings.... that is ALL 100% profit which adds up. A extra 3% or 4% straight to the bottom line is huge in the business world....

So if he makes $50 per frame and sells 20 frames he could be a billionaire in a week!

Incidentally does that 3-4% include overhead recovery and depreciation and amortisation?

From your detailed analysis above it looks like cashflow is solid so if DT can get his marcap up and drive the p/e ratio he can be paying out the seven figure dividends like there's no tomorrow. I need to get me some Turner stock asafp!

Large member
    .. I should be making more money with my time machine than I am.
    No, you're doing it just right. You shouldn't be making any actual profit, cos profit's bad, mmmkay? Nice work on the time machine though - what colour is it?

This could be my first ever time of three posts in a row - I'm kind of glad I'm back at work tomorrow and all my interweb time will be gone again....

My cup runneth over
    DT runs a business model such that he estimates the percentage of raw he will sell and averages/balances that against the the cost of the others such that the cost of all bikes is dropped by the two dollars he saves overall.

Basically, you raw buyers are heavily subsidizing (.001%) the rest of us who like color.

I hope DT drops in with another facetious comment on his business model since it makes for waaay more interesting threads when he tells everyone INOYFB.
    Last edited by rmac; 01-03-2010 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So if he makes $50 per frame and sells 20 frames he could be a billionaire in a week!

Incidentally does that 3-4% include overhead recovery and depreciation and amortisation?

From your detailed analysis above it looks like cashflow is solid so if DT can get his marcap up and drive the p/e ratio he can be paying out the seven figure dividends like there's no tomorrow. I need to get me some Turner stock asafp!
    Since not all of us roll as large as you....Hey, a thousand dollars net profit is never anything to ignore in a small business. Find that is several different segments of your business and now you're $10,000 to the good. Don't know about you but for me that's nothng to scoff at, us poor folks can always use an extra $10,000 or $1,000 and I bet Dave Turner can too.

BTW - I own a Tracer VP and love it. It was this or a 5-spot and the 5-spot's were out of stock in my size color preference. I like Turner bikes and would consider one in the future for sure. Us poor people gotta dream.......

Last edited by STT GUY; 01-03-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Large member
    Since not all of us roll as large as you....Hey, a thousand dollars net profit is never anything to ignore in a small business. Find that is several different segments of your business and now you're $10,000 to the good. Don't know about you but for me that's nothng to scoff at, us poor folks can always use an extra $10,000 or $1,000 and I bet Dave Turner can too.

BTW - I own a Tracer VP and love it.
    You're right, I am pretty big-time. I just looked down the back of the sofa (it's red, by the way) and found $10k. I'm just about to burn it to warm my caviar.

Dave, why are there so many poor people in the Turner forum all of a sudden? I insist that you remove these small timers from your board - they are upsetting us big timers with their talk of sub $100m profits and non-DW link bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Use the 10k to light your cigar... caviar is served cold. Please also refrain from putting the crazy staw into the bottle of Dom... at least use one of your Dixie cups

Large member
    Use the 10k to light your cigar... caviar is served cold. Please also refrain from putting the crazy staw into the bottle of Dom... at least use one of your Dixie cups
    Hah! Only small-timers snort their caviar cold. We Euro-Oligarchs consume ours at 18c, directly from the stomachs of bignaturals.com models........

Damn, it's no good, I can't pull off the Fo impression - you got me

TBH, I am going a bit nuts. I've been off work for two weeks now and it's the longest break I think I've ever had. My mind is going.....

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not %100 positive, but I think I paid Intense MORE money for their "works" (raw) finish on the first gen Spider29. Dave, you're doin' it wrong....

Bandolero

Party all the time

Since not all of us roll as large as you....Hey, a thousand dollars net profit is never anything to ignore in a small business.
    I know how you can make up to $1500 a week! Just think, $1500 a week without even leaving the comforts of your own bedroom! Sound too good to be true?

Just enroll in the Velvet Jones School of Technology.

Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    I know how you can make up to $1500 a week! Just think, $1500 a week without even leaving the comforts of your own bedroom! Sound too good to be true?

Just enroll in the Velvet Jones School of Technology.

This is quality

I imagine one or two people who took up that offer will be feeling a bit "raw".

Members who have read this thread: 0