I have a black one!- Mtbr.com
    mad aussie

I have a black one!

Having posted a few times, I thought I would post a picture of my black 'spot.

Total weight with small frame is 30lb. It does have Turner decals, but I have the silver outline on black so they are hard to make out in the photo.

After a year of riding in Phoenix the pedals and cranks are looking a little the worse for wear, but still holding up fine.

[IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I love the black/polished rear combo. That thing looks sweet.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Having posted a few times, I thought I would post a picture of my black 'spot.

Total weight with small frame is 30lb. It does have Turner decals, but I have the silver outline on black so they are hard to make out in the photo.

After a year of riding in Phoenix the pedals and cranks are looking a little the worse for wear, but still holding up fine.
    Nice, very nice!

How are you getting along with those XMaxXL wheels? My rear wheel has been problematic.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Nice, very nice!

How are you getting along with those XMaxXL wheels? My rear wheel has been problematic.
    After a year, not a single problem to this point, I have had to tighten the rear hub a couple of times, but never trued them once. At a little under 140lb I tend not to be really hard on equipment, although I do like to jump, but nothing over 5-6 feet.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    After a year, not a single problem to this point, I have had to tighten the rear hub a couple of times, but never trued them once. At a little under 140lb I tend not to be really hard on equipment, although I do like to jump, but nothing over 5-6 feet.
    Jah! yeah we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm 220lbs, and never came close to five footers, but do ride on the hard side. ENJOY!

mtbr member
    Bikezilla, what problem(s) have you had with the rear wheel?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    Bikezilla, what problem(s) have you had with the rear wheel?
    It used to creak a lot until I started using a lot of skewer tension. I also get a steady rain of spoke-ping...sort of a tinkle-tinkle-ping-ping noise. I've had the wheel retensioned twice, once at Mavic. My LBS is working with me on this which is a good thing. I've also found the spokes easy to damage, and expensive to replace.

Overall I like how the wheelset performs, though I'd like faster engagement on the rear hub.To be fair I haven't come across anyone else experiencing the same problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    It used to creak a lot until I started using a lot of skewer tension. I also get a steady rain of spoke-ping...sort of a tinkle-tinkle-ping-ping noise. I've had the wheel retensioned twice, once at Mavic. My LBS is working with me on this which is a good thing. I've also found the spokes easy to damage, and expensive to replace.

Overall I like how the wheelset performs, though I'd like faster engagement on the rear hub.To be fair I haven't come across anyone else experiencing the same problems.
    I haven't used those wheels, but my Rolf wheels used to ping like crazy. I used to play around with spoke tensions and that seemd to help. So did tightening the skewers, but the pinging always returned. It turns out that the pinging was caused by bad bearings .....the play caused the spokes to ping. I'm willing to bet that you have a similar issue with your hubs / bearings

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    I haven't used those wheels, but my Rolf wheels used to ping like crazy. I used to play around with spoke tensions and that seemd to help. So did tightening the skewers, but the pinging always returned. It turns out that the pinging was caused by bad bearings .....the play caused the spokes to ping. I'm willing to bet that you have a similar issue with your hubs / bearings
    Hmmm the strange things that cause bike sounds. The LBS adjusted the bearings a couple of times, but I'll fiddle with them the next time I have it up on the stand. It could easily be like CKs and need periodoic adjustment. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member

Nice Ride Wombat

Just curious, how tall are you? What length stem are you running on the small? Thanks.

mtbr member
    oh. damn! and black/silver stickers to boot. hot.

just need a black rear end.

black RFX and 5 Spot. ye-ow. good day to check the Turner board.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    Just curious, how tall are you? What length stem are you running on the small? Thanks.
    I am 5'6" and running a 100mm stem. I have tried different lengths, but the 100 seems to give a good balance between climbing vs descending