i guess i need a 180mm front rotor for my flux- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

i guess i need a 180mm front rotor for my flux

A month or so ago, I was going down a long, steep, loose, but not real technical downhill section which required constant front braking. Yeah, I was able to release the fronts a split second every now and again, but the amount of speed gained was nerve racking. I basically just squeezed the crap out of my levers. The 160mm front rotor got so hot that not only did it fade like mad, but it colored the "spokes" blue. Yeah, it must have gotten real hot.

Now I don't do long downhills like that all the time, but there are many technical & rocky downhill sections where the sintered metal pads make a much louder sound towards the bottom of the section. I'm sure the front rotor is getting crazy hot then too. I hardly ever do even a one foot drop, but I feel like I'm pushing my Flux through the rough stuff about as hard as one could get away with. I guess you could call it real agressive XC.

It sounds like I should probably bump up to a 180mm front rotor. Last winter, and my metabolism going down this year due to turning 35, has caused my riding weight to increase to around 165 - 170 when fully geared and watered. I ride a 2006 Flux with a Reba fork and have 2007 BB7 160mm brakes.

Even though the BB7's are powerful enough to stop me quick, I have the itch to upgrade to hydro brakes because I'd like to shed some weight from the ride. I don't know a whole lot on the hydro offerings, so I'm guessing K24's would be a nice setup. The price seems OK too. I want something light, not a total PITA to set up, doesn't break the bank, modulates well, not easily susceptible to damage due to poor hose connections, and any other unknown requirements.

Suggestions for brakes and approval for the 180mm front would be much appreciated.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    formulas good. 180 rotor on a flux.... eeeeeeeeeehhh. not so sure on that one. most forks that fit a flux may not play well with big rotors so look into that too. i think youll find the new brakes help out. the bb-7's are quite good but a 160/160 hydro brake setup will out perform it and may cure yer issue.

oh yeah. the old turnin 35 trick. been there pal. i gained 15 lbs overnight and 4" in my waist. pissed me right off. now im almost 46 and it hasnt gotten any better. enjoy!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Royta, I've got the same setup as you and the same issue as you, so very interested to hear which way you go on it.
    The Rockshox site on the Reba says the max rotor size is 210 (under the details section of each model) so 180 is a no brainer from a fork spec perspective.

Al

No, that's not phonetic
    Do it, no question. I rode Avid Mechs for a long time and they do fade more than other brakes I have had since, given the same rotor. Going up to a 180 would likely eliminate any issue you are having (even sticking with the Avid Mechs), and if you went to some decent hydros you would probably even save weight in the process.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    probably shmobably. bb-7's are bricks.

you werent with us when we rode the ribbon in '06 were ya? funny thing was everyone with hydros smoked their pads and blued their rotors.... except me with my 185/160 bb-7's on the 34 lb SPaaNB and i dont think anyone dragged their brakes as much as i did cuz i was skeered. hell, squish's juicys faded so bad he all but ran dt over at the bottom. 220 lbs of squish on a burner with 203/185 rotors if i recall it right. 160 lbs of dt didnt stand a chance but hes spry and was able to scatter before it was too late.
    No, I'm NOT back!

over researcher
    I pulled the front pads off and did figure 8's on 400 grit wet sandpaper on the kitchen counter. It took the glaze off. Then I lightly took the glaze off the rotor. The off-colored spokes cleaned right up in about 1 second. I'm guessing the rotors were just smokin' hot and the brake dust stuck to it, making it appear like I actually blued the rotors. The brakes worked awesome again on yesterday's ride.

I talked to my neighbor about that crazy ride where my front's faded like mad. He reminded me it was only on one ride. I can't recall any other rides where the front faded so bad that I could actually use a 180 up front. There's always light fading here and there, but by the time it could turn into a problem, I'm back to the roley poley section and pedaling again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I ride a 2006 Flux with a Reba fork and have 2007 BB7 160mm brakes.
    The problem is the BB7, not the rotor size.

While the BB7s seem to have adequate power (real grippy pad material) they heat up like crazy, and I had lots of fade issues with mine (and then you get very little power). To put it simply, they do not dissipate heat very well, and there are lots of 160mm hydro brakes that do FAR better. Even when I upped the rotor size on the avids I still had fade and overheating issues. Maybe that is just the price you pay with the mechanical brakes, but you owe it to yourself to get a decent set of hydros on there, THEN think about a 185 rotor if they are not adequate.

Lots of friction (grippy pad) = lots of heat, and that heat is just not delt with well by the avid mechs. Going to a bigger rotor would help, but remember you don't have the heat-dissipation properties of a hydro brake, that has hydro fluid that can help to dissipate the heat. The bigger rotor helps with this, but it's not the only thing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    probably shmobably. bb-7's are bricks.

you werent with us when we rode the ribbon in '06 were ya? funny thing was everyone with hydros smoked their pads and blued their rotors.... except me with my 185/160 bb-7's on the 34 lb SPaaNB and i dont think anyone dragged their brakes as much as i did cuz i was skeered. hell, squish's juicys faded so bad he all but ran dt over at the bottom. 220 lbs of squish on a burner with 203/185 rotors if i recall it right. 160 lbs of dt didnt stand a chance but hes spry and was able to scatter before it was too late.
    Mine on my 6 pack were fine, actually. I run Juicy 7's with 203 front 185 rear. I do remember that ride smelling like an overheated semi's brakes, though.

I've gotten in the habit of running an inch bigger rotor in front for my last several bikes (except for the Pugsley which has interchangeable wheels). I've got 185/160 on my Sultan and El Mariachi. If I ever try to do a serious race bike again, I'll go 160/140.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This is going to sound stupid but I had a Reba on my flux with a 203mm rotor up front, I had post mount 06 hope mono mini brakes, which my advids were international mount type so assuming yours are to. Just thought I would through that out there, my reba was on 05.

Funny thing is when I switched to the spot in late 07 I bought a 08 fox float rlc fork that was international mounts, I could not use the 203 mm rotor. Apparently hope did not make an adapter that would work on 203mm rotor for post mount mono mini going to international mounts.

I may have international and post mounts backwards in my explanation, if I'm right post mounts screw holes face out to the side of the bike and international screw holes face to the back of the bike when the fork is turned straight, please correct me if I have these backwards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are riding in an area that is most often dry you could try and find some organic pads, Goodridge amonst others make organic and sintered pads to suit, the organic pads don't build up as much heat as a sintered pad so are less liable to fade.
    Problem comes in the wet when a set of organic pads can be down to the backing plate in one longer wet and muddy ride.
    Juicys work well for me 160 F+R and the Formula Oro is very good too, no suprise they have similar feel and performance as Formula designed and manufactured first year Juicy brakes for Avid before releasing the Oro.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Moosehead
    Seems like 180's and bigger go on the AM and DH rigs most often. I'm 230 lbs and ride 2,500' vertical uphills and turnaround downhills along the front range of the rockies, and no problem with hydros with 160's on both a spot and a xc rig.

Members who have read this thread: 0