mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I got your vistas right here

edit: again, all my pics are all mixed up. My commentary starts with the last pic (maybe). The order changes everytime I open this thread. I need to figure this out.

After a fast hitting snowstorm Friday night (think 1" of snow in 5 minutes) I didn't have high hopes for dry trail. I went to Green Mountain today, fingers crossed. When I asked the first person I saw "how's the mud factor?" and they replied "none"...it was a good thing.

I headed out on very familiar territory. Totally dry, NO WIND, warm...me and everyone else out there was in heaven. I met a guy who pointed out a section that he and his noobie GF were going to next...I looked over where he was pointing...New Trail? I thought I knew every trail on Green Mountain. Sure as sh!t, they'd cut in a new trail (bypassing some really steep loose shiz) while I wasn't looking (last summer). Let's go!

My pics are of: when I was riding down below; peeps climbing the "new" section, pics down from up above to where I was...in fact, hiking peeps, riding peeps...we were all out there enjoying this beautiful day. One pic is of a pile of rocks...the top rock is the highest point on the entire mountain. Another pic is of Pikes Peak in the distance...that distance being about 100 miles. There's lot of trails all over Green Mountain. They all eventually circle this hill. I've never seen so many contented riders in one place as today. Warm, dry trail, no wind (a very key factor on The Front Range in the Spring)...a good time was had by all.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Captain Underpants
    Sweet!

Nice to see some ride pix up. I have not ridden in a month, first the flu, now the rain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    To clarify: the pic of my bike learning against a rock outcropping...the shot from up on top is down to that rock waaay down there. And Pikes Peak is the snow clad mountain in the distance above the blurry frog.

I'm more of a dog person
    where are all the trees? i'm so used to seeing nothing but trees surrounding our trails here in the east. it's nice to see something different every now and then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    where are all the trees? i'm so used to seeing nothing but trees surrounding our trails here in the east. it's nice to see something different every now and then.
    That's why I like when you east coast types throw out your dense forest stoke. I rode a few years ago with a guy from North Carolina. Whenever we approached a densely wooded switchback (like a seasonal drainage comin' down the mountain) I would call them "glens" for want of a better word. That way I could sorta pinpoint spots on the trail...like, "remember that glen about 2/3 back"...he looked at me and said it was 100% "glens" on the trails he rode back east.

We got trees on the trails in the foothills but nada on Green Mountain. Not a real good mid-summer midday riding area

There are a ton of deer up there. One time me and probably 30 other bikers, some coming my way, some with me...all stopped to watch a herd of about 75 deer (could easily have been over a hundred) come up a canyon to my left and saunter cross the doubletrack and disappear down a canyon to my right. They just kept coming and coming, like being on a safari in the Serengeti.

Lay off the Levers

Corrections Required

First off XCG, you misspelled "Vista".
    'Round here we spell it e-n-v-y. Which your shots often create.

We don't use the term glen much, although a trail I cross over does have the name "Rocky Glen". I'm pretty sure we use the term gully a lot.

Deer are super common here too but the technical term for a group is a "mob". Nitpicky I know, but it helps with the envy.
    The deer are trippy in our tight trail systems because the gullies isolate the trails in little sections and they have no idea you're nearby until you're right on top of them. Then they bolt up and over the hill only to run right across your path as you round the next corner. I imagine they must be thinking WTF!?!?!

So anyway I didn't see a vista today but any saddle time is good time:

The thing is getting in and back out before the ground thaws:

I'm sure I'll have some deep woods shots for ya in a few months...but for now I'm enjoying actually being able to see the sun when I ride.
    (I'll take a shot of "Rocky Glen" next time I ride it)

Great stoke as always man!

Oh yeah and the reverse posting of the pix frustrated me a lot too. I decided just to host everything in Photobucket. Tends to make putting comments and captions btwn pix a lot easier.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 02-23-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Members who have read this thread: 0