I got Spiders!- Mtbr.com

Thread: I got Spiders!

Lay off the Levers

I got Spiders!

Dark Cycle Arachnids to be specific:

Pimpy, feel sturdy too. I lost too many pins in the Wellgo MG1s hopefully these will do better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    COTD Award winner!

mtbr member
    Bad-ass looking! How much do they weigh? Look like they can grip, but also eat a shin alive...

Outcast
    Very pimpy! Who is the stud who turned you onto them? Excellent taste he has!
    Nice touch with the black back ground, better than my granite surface plate pics, which I'll share with y'all now!:

mtbr member
    445 g/set per a ridemonkey post for those that may want to inquire. yes, I"m coming from a weight weenie background new to the AM stuff. Looking for some nice pedals as well.

Lay off the Levers
    440g for the pair on my Alpine scale.

The mags are definately lighter, especially now that a few of the pins ... and their holes are gone.

Outcast
    Man, those wellgo's are some ugly focking clumps of metal. About time you upgraded. You can thank me whenever.

~~~~~~~~
    looking forward to seeing them after you've smashed them into some rocks. They still look kind of vulnerable with out much material supporting the bottom side leading edge pins.

For the missing pins/messed up holes on the wellgos I have drilled what's left of the holes deeper and put longer pins in. Interesting how you lost the inside pins, I lose my outside ones.

Outcast
    the bottom side leading edge OUTER pins have more "support" than the inner ones; I smash more rocks on the outside, so we'll see. What I like [without even having one ride yet on them ] is the ammount of 6061 billet material that each pin is in, compared to cast pedals where the thread engagement is about 1/8th of an inch.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    looking forward to seeing them after you've smashed them into some rocks. They still look kind of vulnerable with out much material supporting the bottom side leading edge pins.

For the missing pins/messed up holes on the wellgos I have drilled what's left of the holes deeper and put longer pins in. Interesting how you lost the inside pins, I lose my outside ones.
    I was thinking the same thing: those spideys look vulnerable specially with it relatively high profile (Compared to Kona Wahwahs) and long pins but I guess we shall see... They also looks "too sticky" to me; I like to move my feet around while riding.

I too tend loose the outer ones as I normally strike pedals on off camber rocks.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 08-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Lay off the Levers
    AW those missing pins on the MG1s are leading (outside) when facing down and in front of the bike (to the right of the pic)

I don't think there's a lot of matl left to drill into. prolly go right through the inside of the pedal. NBD. They're going on my Spot now.

oh yeah, T-h-a-n-k-s R-e-n-n-y
    Now Rick can say I kiss your butt too.

~~~~~~~~
    I drilled all the way through. Waiting for the pedal to completely crack now, actually thought it would when I was screwing the pin in.

You are definatly the man for pedal testing!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    oh yeah, T-h-a-n-k-s R-e-n-n-y
    Now Rick can say I kiss your butt too.
    you can tell him I paid you to say that.

Lay off the Levers
    Speaking of paid, in case anyone is wondering I got em quick from that other Lizard Godzilla. they go for $120 plus shipping. PP

Outcast
    the way I see it, there are only two pairs of flat pedals out there that are indestructable; the syncros stainless steel and the chromo version of the mental pedal. Every other flat pedal is expendable. While this pedal looks like some of the body is vulnerable, the pins look like they might stay in longer, which is what I am looking for right now. I thought about getting another pair of the syncros stainless [I sold my original pair ], the weight penaly of an additional pound scared me away. We'll see.

mtbr member
    I don't think there's a lot of matl left to drill into. prolly go right through the inside of the pedal. NBD. They're going on my Spot now.
    All done with clipless?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Lay off the Levers
    Miles, Going out right now for a post work ride on the Spot now with flats. I'll let you know what I think.

mtbr member
    Miles, Going out right now for a post work ride on the Spot now with flats.
    I just hope you've ditched the lycra once and for all. That would be the biggest faux pas since, well, Faux Shizzle's latest bike (whatever it is).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

~~~~~~~~
    zilla, you still got a loooong stem on the spot?

Time flies...
    $120 for something that's gonna look like this after a few rides...???
    hmmmmmmm.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

Hisforever
    those pedals look stellar. i've tried them before, they were pretty good.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I just hope you've ditched the lycra once and for all. That would be the biggest faux pas since, well, Faux Shizzle's latest bike (whatever it is).
    Uuuummmmm....... no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    you still got a loooong stem on the spot?
    Uuuuummmmm..... yes but it feels even more awkward than my attaire looks.

$120 sounds like a lot...but then the wellgos cost me ~50 bucks and looked like that after a handful of rides. So we'll see if quality prevails over quantity.

I've got the 90mm x4 and not-wide-enough-for-FR/DH bars from my HL just waiting to go on, along with that lizard skin logoset JNC sent me ages ago.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Zilla- good to hear ya scored em thru Josh, BTW, Aqua says you stole his idea

I have to say I have not acclimated to the flats on my DH bike like I had hoped, after riding clips forever I'm not getting my head around not being attached to the pedals especially once airborne, feel like I'm trying to lift with my feet still. Headed to Keystone next weekend and will be running the caged spuds.

I have enjoyed the flats on a few of our uber chunk rides(on the Sultan) where getting going again with clips can be a pain, plus I'm looking forward to using them this winter on the snow rides where spd's suck. Maybe I will get a better feel for them by next season but I'm thinking I'm gonna just switch back to the clips for the rest of this season at least on the DH bike.
    Last edited by rr; 08-09-2008 at 10:58 AM.

banned
    Is Zilla to first to inaugurate those pedals to the Homer ranks?

Homer approved?

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the Dark pedals, but I hear ya with the MG1s ripping pins out faster than a Russian grenade launcher. I've lost pins (and holes) from the exact same spots as you, and my pedals are 5 weeks old...

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Aqua says you stole his idea
    Aqua who?

Actually he's absolutely right. He had showed me his pedals months ago. I totally forgot. I believe he was saving them for the second coming or something of similar significance.

I gotta give credit where credit is due...besides, I'm never first with anything.

Time out for bogarting: 3 weeks.

~~~~~~~~
    Aquaholic is riding flats now?

Members who have read this thread: 0