Hydraulic Line Guides on Burner/XCE/RFX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hydraulic Line Guides on Burner/XCE/RFX

I’ll be building up a XCE later this week with hydraulic brakes. In attempts to have all the odds-n-ends ready for the build I’ve searched the forum looking for the best way to run the hydraulic lines, and found a few threads discussing the topic, but only one really offered a solution, which were the Jagwire and Stick-On Hydraulic Line Guides. So those of you running hydro’s on your Burner/XCE/RFX are these the best solution?

No, that's not phonetic
    I went to full-length cable housing for my rear brake on the XCE recently. Before committing to drilling out the stops, I placed a Jagwire plastic stick-on guide just behind and slightly to the side of the front stop, and another just in front of and to the side of the rear stop. I had made the hole the zip tie goes through a bit larger, and ran one zip tie around the top tube to make sure the guide stayed put, and another smaller one around the housing once it was snapped into the guide.

What brakes are you installing? In the long run for aethetics, it would be nice to drill the stops out and thread the hose through since they run on top of the tt on small frames. My cables run under the tt on my XCE so they are out of sight and not a bother. You could still use the stick ons below the tt while the other cables go through the stops above.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    For the front, Hope makes a guide that screws into the brake boss (if your fork has them). It's aluminum and comes in two sizes (8&10 mm) and a bunch of colors. Here's the link: http://www.cambriabike.com/brakes/mtb_disc_brakes.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    What brakes are you installing?
    Juicys

In the long run for aethetics, it would be nice to drill the stops out and thread the hose through since they run on top of the tt on small frames.
    Is it fairly risky to drill them out?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Drill them out. I run full-length cable housing on all my bikes and it's the cleanest/best solution. First thing I did when I got the 5 Spot is got out the drill.

Recommendation B would be those Hope guides that screw into the stops.

No, that's not phonetic
    You have to cut up an aluminum can and mask the area around the top with it and a lot of tape, then use a burr bit on a dremel to shave the back side of the stop out. Once you get a hole, you can use a small round file to make it smooth and even. Fonseca and Naestep posted exhaustive proceedures on this on the old brake board. They may have moved the post to the new boards. Search for "dremel" and "guide" and the like.

If I were you, I would start with the stick on things unless you are going to cut the lines to fit (they will be way too long), and then you may as well attack it while you have to deal with the olives anyway. Taking a dremel to a brand new frame can be way stressfull. Think it over. You are only going to chew the paint up if you miss, but still...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    If I were you, I would start with the stick on things unless you are going to cut the lines to fit (they will be way too long),
    Decisions, decisions…

Here are a few of the threads I found searching the old and new forums for “Drilling Cable Stops”

1)How to Drill Out Cable Stops (old forum)
    2)Step by Step Pictures by Naestab’s (old forum)
    3)Full Length Cable Housing (new forum, with link to Naestab's pictures in the old forum)

Even though I'll cut the lines, I think I’ll go ahead and run the adaptors for now and if they end up just being a nuisance or knee shreaders I'll whip out the Dremel. And, if the process is bearable, maybe I'll do it to both Turners and run full length housing all the way around.