How do you secure your bikes at home?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

How do you secure your bikes at home?

Well, thanks to you guys here on the Turner board and a conversation with DT himself, I've decided to jump in a buy a decent bike. I bought an 06 5 spot from competitive cyclist that will be here on Friday I can't wait to ride it.

Which leads me to my question...how do you guys secure your bikes at home? Since my wife will likely object to me chaining it to my bed, the bike will be kept in my unfinished basement. I'm thinking that installing some sort of anchors in the concrete floors and using a chain or bike lock makes the most sense. Anyone have a better idea or know of any specific anchors that I should be looking for?

Andrew

involuntary dismounter
    i live in a shoebox apartment and don't have any storage space, but there is an alarm...gigi is basically chillin' in my living room...

what can i say? i'm a classy babe...

as for break-ins...that's what renter's insurance is for...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

banned
    Unlocked in the garage. Sometimes we even forget to close the garage door at night.

The 'burbs can be rough.

Peace & Love
    i just hang my bikes in the garage and hope for the best.......though the other night when i was out of town my wife left the garage door open all night and freaked out when she woke up. called me to ask me how many bikes i had and like an IDIOT I told her the truth. I shouldve added at least one bike to allow me to go shopping again....doh!

fortunately our neighborhood watch does profiling of people who look like aqua and it is remarkably safe.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 10-17-2006 at 10:09 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Holy chit, Pete. How many high-school dropouts does it take to lick your floor clean???
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ
    how do you guys secure your bikes at home?
    I clamp the seatpost in a Park stand and close the garage door. That's it. Be sure to take some good pics of the bike and write down the serial numbers from the bb and cs yoke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    nmnmnmnmnm
    Last edited by Blue Shorts; 10-18-2006 at 07:39 AM.

involuntary dismounter
    i have to agree with tscheesy on this one pete...that is the shiniest garage floor i've EVER seen! in fact, it's nicer than the one in my kitchen. and your garage is both bigger and cleaner than my apartment...

hey pete...can i live in your garage?

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    called me to ask me how many bikes i had and like an IDIOT I told her the truth. I shouldve added at least one bike to allow me to go shopping again....doh!
    big mistake, man. big. HUGE!

Lay off the Levers
    The only reason to close that garage door is when Bill Gates complains.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    He's probably bragging that he has bucks. Big man
    That sounds like you're projecting your own overwhelming feelings of inadeqaucy again. So sad.

Phillip, my DIY tile floor just needs a quick spray out with the hose every few months.

An unanticipated benefit of that floor job is that it entices insecure wannabes (like Blue Hair) into displaying their goofiness, post haste.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    He's probably bragging that he has bucks.
    Pete is sufficiently "comfortable" that he does not need to brag about it himself. He would subcontract the job out.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    DIY tile floor: "Put the black tiles here and the white ones there".

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    DIY tile floor: "Put the black tiles here and the white ones there".
    Haha, I wish.

Unfortunately my Spanish sucks so I spent 10 hours laying it myself.

~~~~~~~~
    mine is always in the back of the truck.
    bummer you have to do all that to lock your bike up.
    sounds like you need to make a trip to the hardware store and check out your options. Do you have the hammer drill and masonry bits?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    why, if it isnt the triumphant return of the long lost mr fagerlin! we must talk cars and droppin into the corkscrew one day sir. i missed ya by days when i showed up and ive been lookin forward to sayin hi. so..... hi.
    No, I'm NOT back!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I bolted some 2x4's to a wall stud with some big eye-bolts bolted to the 2x4's. I've got a braided steel cable that runs through the eye bolts that I use to padlock the bike with. I'm not that worried about theft but I figure better safe than sorry.

Pete - ever wake up late at night with the overwhelming urge to carve some really big chess pieces?
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

and if he really wanted to brag, hed pan right a few feet. nuthin wrong here mr shorts. bad night pal?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Dishwasher Safe
    Yep, after leaving the garage door open all night a couple of times, I just put an eyebolt in a wall stud. For your concrete floor I think I'd go this route:

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProdu...379&Activite=0 or http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProdu...374&Activite=0
    Last edited by deadbolt; 10-18-2006 at 11:05 AM.

not so super...
    Mine just hang in the Garage. Now that I have announced that maybe I will need to start locking them.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I've just bought a Almax chain and cisa lock.

Apparently you cannot bolt crop the chain by hand or with the portable hydraulic croppers.

Check out the wall of shame for locks not to buy.

that looks damn nice but i can do better. the odus 3000! just try to leave the house with a bike and not take odus along. wont happen. once i get layla trail trained, itll be twice as hard to grab a bike from my place.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    If you are worried about your bike being stolen from inside your domicile you need to move.

Personally I think your quick thought process of chaining things in your basement has a certain Silence of the Lambs creepyness.

Outcast
    I just leave my bike in the same room as my pet alligator. No need for a deadbolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Pete is sufficiently "comfortable" that he does not need to brag about it himself. He would subcontract the job out.
    That comment was completely uncalled for on my part. Sorry.

SASQUATCH!
    Holy phuck Pete. I'm moving in to your garage....and it looks like I'll be rooming with dHarriet. I don't even know what she's like, but she likes bikes, and with a place like that what could possibly go wrong?

That is a really sweet setup, dude. Me likey.

Andrew: I just store my bikes in my (dusty, dimly lit, low-ceilinged, untiled, unlivable) basement, but I'm lucky to live in a pretty crime free area.

mtbr member
    best way to get something stolen is to lock it.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine are locked with thick chain link to each other and to the wall. I am totally adjusted to the reality of "if they want it bad enough, they will take it". That's what homeowners insurance is for. In fact, when I find UGI at it's worst I'll often dream of my current quiver getting stolen so I can collect a check.

"I wish someone would just steal you."

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i just hang my bikes in the garage and hope for the best.......though the other night when i was out of town my wife left the garage door open all night and freaked out when she woke up. called me to ask me how many bikes i had and like an IDIOT I told her the truth. I shouldve added at least one bike to allow me to go shopping again....doh!
    Wah! Opportunity knocked and you said, "Get lost!"

I used to lock my bike in my garage. I think it's probably a good idea. But I'm too lazy now. It does make me paranoid when my garage is open though. And I live in one of the safest cities in the country according to the FBI.

Bite Me.
    Attack Donkeys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Dishwasher Safe
    ^ Those suckers look mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I just leave my bike in the same room as my pet alligator. No need for a deadbolt.
    Cute...

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Haha, I wish.
    Unfortunately my Spanish sucks so I spent 10 hours laying it myself.
    10 hrs solo? not too shabby Mr F. The parking post in front of the heater is a nice touch. Welcome back Pete

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Well, thanks to you guys here on the Turner board and a conversation with DT himself, I've decided to jump in a buy a decent bike. I bought an 06 5 spot from competitive cyclist that will be here on Friday I can't wait to ride it.

Which leads me to my question...how do you guys secure your bikes at home? Since my wife will likely object to me chaining it to my bed, the bike will be kept in my unfinished basement. I'm thinking that installing some sort of anchors in the concrete floors and using a chain or bike lock makes the most sense. Anyone have a better idea or know of any specific anchors that I should be looking for?

Andrew
    3 German Shepards, two .40 cals, a 12 gauge and an M4. Scratch that, the 12 gauge is left at work.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Scratch that, the 12 gauge is left at work.
    I'm envious; they don't let me keep firearms at work anymore.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I'm envious; they don't let me keep firearms at work anymore.
    HAHAHA, bummer. It's usually in my work vehicle when I am there and in the locker when I am off.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member
    i dont
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.

Three sheets to the wind
    She keeps an eye on the family and whatever is in the garage...
    Attached Images Attached Images

home slice chili sauce
    May 2005

Andrew
    I put mine in my master bedroom closet... being that I don't have the money to build it up- yet.

My wife attempted to oust the frame many a times via executive order, but I stand firm, enforcing the right to protect my frame at all costs!! Nobody touches my frame

Time flies...
    I run the cable lock thru all the bikes hanging together on the wall. It's just enough to make it hard to grab one and run and to keep the honest people honest, as they say.
    I used to live in areas where it wasn't an issue....I miss that.

btw- I like cutthroats attack donkeys the best! I like donkeys and mules. And Zebras...
    You know why they keep the Zebras seperated from the other animals in zoos/parks, dontcha..??

'cuz they're MEAN!!
    ...every day sends future to past...

fried stuff with cheese
    I have a very expensive bike stand. A Thule T2 with a two bike extension. It just sits on the floor with my three bikes and my wife's bike in it on the garage floor. The bikes lock to the rack (although I rarely lock it) and the rack just sits there. If someone was going to take the whole thing with all the bikes they deserve it. With four bikes it's freakin heavy.
    With the bikes (Spot, RFX, Cove HJ, and my wife's Trek Fuel) and the rack it's got to be worth close to 10k......maybe I should start locking it. (Oh well this is NH, what do I have to worry about?)
    Egg

Members who have read this thread: 0