How do you improve your HL to feel like TNT - bad case UGI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How do you improve your HL to feel like TNT - bad case UGI

You Guys, You Guys,

Here are some pictures of one of the best upgrades. Kind of in between QR and 20mm. It worked out great!!!! Thanks to Chad at red barn. He build me a set on 4.2d with Hadley hubs.

The front hub has the 9mm conversion kit and it makes the front super stiff. The rear is a 10mm TA hadley hub.

The quick releases are the DT swiss RWS and they are light!! (not that that matters).

I tried the bike at Brown County State park in Indiana and the horst link feels so stiff. Stiffer than my TNT flux.

This was an experiment since you would rarely see 4.2d rims laced to TA hubs with super comp spokes. But it works wonders. If you are not going to abuse your spot ala RFX, then the 4.2d works just fine.

Enjoy....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zion Rasta; 05-17-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006

Itís easy trade me for my 2007-TNT off of my Flux. Iím serious!

Itís easy trade me for my 2007-TNT off of my Flux. Iím serious! Just PM me and we can arrange the swap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...do you need a special front hub?

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    yeah, pony up with the specifics! I have seen the RWS before but with little info on it. If it works on XT hubs I would love to give it a try. ZR, you have the chance to be the first homer-tester, but we need some graphs and sh!t. Info on stiffness, overall ease of use, price, comparos to regular QR's and 20mm TA's, the whole shebang, so to speak. Those few of us without Pikes on our Spots need this info. Don't hold out on us!
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

banned
    I didn't know the RWS's worked on anything but DT hubs converted for its use. If not, I'd love to use one on my Hope rear.

mtbr member

Dear all Homers

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I didn't know the RWS's worked on anything but DT hubs converted for its use. If not, I'd love to use one on my Hope rear.

The RWS Thru Axle works with any hub. Of course, the 10mm works with the rear 10mm hub and the 9mm front works with the hadley QR 5mm to 9mm conversion which you can use with Hope hubs. I think Larry Mt cycle has done this before and I am sure Chad could hook you guys up with the hadley conversion.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=480 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ptitel>RWS thru bolt</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pheadtext>- 100 mm / Ý 9 mm, 49 g
    - 135 mm / Ý 10 mm, 63 g
    - Axles: 7075 Aluminium

The RWS is really easy to use and you can get both wheels off as fast, if not faster, than a normal QR. I have a 2005 fox RLC up front because it was light, albeit noodlely. With the front 9mm RWS it feel super stiff so you can avoid the extra weight of the pike.

I do not know if the conversion kit works with shimano or CK hubs (please correct me if I am wrong). Only hope and Hadleys that I know of.

It also reversible, so I can go back to QR if I wanted to, but who the hell wats to do that?

It is a sweet set up - no tools needed to take the TA off on the trail - SCHWEET!!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

I will have to pass on that one bud...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish Dave
    Itís easy trade me for my 2007-TNT off of my Flux. Iím serious! Just PM me and we can arrange the swap.
    I have both Spot HL and Flux TNT so I can do the swaping myself. I do not think I want go through all the work for 1mm difference in path.
    Sit and spin my ass...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    The RWS Thru Axle works with any hub. Of course, the 10mm works with the rear 10mm hub and the 9mm front works with the hadley QR 5mm to 9mm conversion which you can use with Hope hubs. I think Larry Mt cycle has done this before and I am sure Chad could hook you guys up with the hadley conversion.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=480 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ptitel>RWS thru bolt</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pheadtext>- 100 mm / Ý 9 mm, 49 g
    - 135 mm / Ý 10 mm, 63 g
    - Axles: 7075 Aluminium

The RWS is really easy to use and you can get both wheels off as fast, if not faster, than a normal QR. I have a 2005 fox RLC up front because it was light, albeit noodlely. With the front 9mm RWS it feel super stiff so you can avoid the extra weight of the pike.

I do not know if the conversion kit works with shimano or CK hubs (please correct me if I am wrong). Only hope and Hadleys that I know of.

It also reversible, so I can go back to QR if I wanted to, but who the hell wats to do that?

It is a sweet set up - no tools needed to take the TA off on the trail - SCHWEET!!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Thanks for the advice, now if only someone can find me a qr for my Z1, I'll be set.

Do It Yourself
    Thanks for the report. I have the same 9mm RWS + conversion kit on order for my DT 240s front hub. I'm hoping it will stiffen up the front end noticeably enough to sooth the UGI desires for a Pike. I really don't need to dump $800+ into the bike right now. Good to hear it's worked for you.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JC why not do what I did on my rear Pro II and switch the axle for a 10mm bolt in?

It makes very little difference to removing the rear wheel and a 6mm allen key is something I carry anyway in my camelback. In fact I find it easier to remove than fiddling around with qr positioning and it's way stiffer than a qr
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    JC why not do what I did on my rear Pro II and switch the axle for a 10mm bolt in?

It makes very little difference to removing the rear wheel and a 6mm allen key is something I carry anyway in my camelback. In fact I find it easier to remove than fiddling around with qr positioning and it's way stiffer than a qr

I would rather do that, actually. Point me in the direction of the parts for this conversion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I would rather do that, actually. Point me in the direction of the parts for this conversion.
    I ordered the axle kit in the UK through my LBS but any Hope dealer should be able to get the part, the axle comes with the bolts and washers and is pretty straight forward to fit.
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

That bike needs a good thrashing

It is far too scratch and dirt free. Go beat that bad boy like an ugly stepchild.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    It is far too scratch and dirt free. Go beat that bad boy like an ugly stepchild.

Jaybo

HEY!

I'm an ugly stepchild! I take offense to that!

Redheaded too!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if anyones gonna offend folks, its me. just ask whafe and the rest of the leagals. now stop steppin on my toes.

nice lookin ride rasta. those skewers are pretty cool. wonder if they are i9 compatable too.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

I take care of my bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo
    Jaybo,
    I rarely crash, and I wash my bikes after every ride. I like to keep them in shape so that I can have a great ride the next day.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

I think they will fit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    if anyones gonna offend folks, its me. just ask whafe and the rest of the leagals. now stop steppin on my toes.

nice lookin ride rasta. those skewers are pretty cool. wonder if they are i9 compatable too.
    If you have a 9mm TA on your I9's then go for it. The skewers are light if not lighter than my hopes and very stiff due to, obviously, the 9mm diameter for the front.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have enduro I9's already equipped with 10mm hadley thru axle, so rear compatability should be fine. My front hub is equipped with standard qr end caps, I'm sure I9 has some end caps that will work with this interface. 4 pound coil fork WITH thru axle! Mmmmmmm.

Captain Underpants
    Hmmm. . . this looks very promising. I just built up a set of wheels for my (soon to come) Sultan using Hope Pro II hubs, and was concerned that a Reba up front would not be stiff enough . . . looks like this might address some of my concerns.

Here is a link for the Hadley to Hope front adapter (though from what ZR mentioned, Larry or Chad could order as well . . .

http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/HadleyF9mmConvKit.htm
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 05-20-2007 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a Hope Pro II rear and I've tried the standard QR, Hope 10mm bolt in axle and most recently the RWS 10mm thru skewer. I think the best option for me has been the Hope bolt in kit. As Paul5s says it's really quick to use and I always carry an allen key. It feels stiffer than the RWS option as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I have enduro I9's already equipped with 10mm hadley thru axle, so rear compatability should be fine. My front hub is equipped with standard qr end caps, I'm sure I9 has some end caps that will work with this interface. 4 pound coil fork WITH thru axle! Mmmmmmm.
    you should be able to stick your current qr endcaps in a lathe and drill them out to 9mm so you can use the 9mm rws on your front hub. i did it on my hope pro II front hub and the end caps are silmilar, i can't see how it wouldn't work on I9"s endcaps. it made a big difference on my bike. i onle say to use a lathe as it guarantees that you drill it out to 9mm
    and keep it staight.

Lay off the Levers
    Just curious but would anyone know how this would compare to a CK hub with a HD axle and funbolts?

Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    you should be able to stick your current qr endcaps in a lathe and drill them out to 9mm so you can use the 9mm rws on your front hub. i did it on my hope pro II front hub and the end caps are silmilar, i can't see how it wouldn't work on I9"s endcaps. it made a big difference on my bike. i onle say to use a lathe as it guarantees that you drill it out to 9mm
    and keep it staight.
    I have a CK front hub that has become a King 9mm thru axle frankenhub. Works fine with the DT RWS 9mm. Marginal improvement though. Using it on a Spot with '08 Fox Vanilla.
    __o
    _-\<,
    (_)/(_)____ Sigmund | Norway

Big Test Icycles
    Go with the King Fun bolt. I have them on my Spot and have never looked back. Tried several different configurations to make it stiffer and was glad bought the ISO/HD. I'm 235 Lbs and it was a big improvement. I have them laced up to Mavic 819 rims

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Upgrade?

So, the final analysis is that TNT is an upgrade? Hmm. I think we are still debating that but they probably are stiffer. I know, it is like pulling a band aid off an old wound

The DT stuff looks very cool. Lucky for me I have DT 240's and a Hope with a Pike up front. I need to cave and try the bigger QR in the back to finally put to bed the TNT vs. HL debate.

I think Dave went to DW Link because the TNT thing was keeping him up at night He needs his sleep....

Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0