mtbr member

How do you feel about IMBA's action?

I'm been contemplating opening a chapter in France and some people have showed some interest as well. We might have somewhat of a public awereness campaign in French MTB magazines to see if frogs would join in and participate.

But I was wondering if any Homers were members or not and what do you guys think about it. There are tons of info to digest on IMBA.com, so I'm just asking plain and simple:

Do you think it is useful? And if not why?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

banned
    while it's arguably better than having none,

I'm not too keen on the Lowest Common Denominator + Hollywood Photo Op approach they use.

LCD: trails generally - too simple... splitting out FR enabling USFS and other land managers to see "freeride" as dangerous and worthy of avoidance... better approach would have been to simply focus on adding technical difficulty by line selection, etc. on general trail access, IMBA seems too willing to yield to trail sanitizing if it means trails will still be there. basically, IMBA caters to the bulk of its members, Joe and Jane Average Rider. for them, it's probably very worthwhile. to me -- not so much.

Hollywood: their website has grown a bit too Media Savvy for my taste... photo ops, advertisements, logo changes. focusing on appearance is not the way to help MTB riders. not from where I'm sitting, anyway.

I'm sure you'll hear a lot of disagreement on this. but that's my experience from working with local IMBA affiliate and IMBA folks. great for beginners and intermediates. completely missing in action for any riders above intermediate. and too hollywood.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    From the dirt, so to speak, Gonz makes some very good points.

However, from a land access point of view, IMBA is very good, savvy about politics, and has been helping us a lot here in Oregon, with this crazy L & C Wilderness bill which could have closed us out of some of our most epic trails, which we have been riding for decades, AND DOING ABOUT 95% OF THE MAINTENANCE ON!

Another point is that if you are looking into forming your own IMBA chapter, they mostly leave you be, except when you ask for their help. Our local club, CAMBA, has some of the trickiest legal trails on USFS land that I know of -- definitely not beginner or intermediate stuff.

To sum up, I'd start a club of your own, and definitely affiliate with IMBA.

Now with flavor!!
    Sanitized?

Hogwash.

Lookie here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=129060

Check the photos towards the end of the thread for the results.

I got to ride this place over the holidays. It's imba designed and built and badass.

FM
    mtbr member
    Do it. And make it what you want.

Locally we have BBTC. Juice here on MTBR is a mover and shaker behind BBTC. (see link below) BBTC is definately working on some "Legit" FR/skill building spots. Legit meaning, beginner friendly, won't get torn out, surrounding landscaped by the park department, and locals are happy to have us, as we replaced homeless people etc. We are pretty lucky here.

The way I see it, IMBA is about big picture stuff. You may never see a local trail that IMBA saved or touched. They are busy working on big picture issues, like coordinating & advising grass roots level groups so we are united. Working to protect existing access in parks and public lands. Settings standards and raising awareness for new trail construction etc. That kind of stuff.

At the local level, you can make a difference, and build the kinds of trails you want to ride. IMBA will help you do it right.

Thats what I think people should belong to both IMBA and a local group.

not so super...
    I (with the help of a few friends and over 100 supporters) started a new chapter of our "local" IMBA affiliated club, www.sorba.org & www.sorbagatr.org. We have been very successful in our first 3 months of existance and SORBA has a very large presence in 5 states with over 1900 members. The club can be what you want it to be.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0