Dream it, Do it.

How did you decide to get your Turner?

I'm curious about how you decided to get your Turner?
    • What first interested you in a Turner bike?
    • What other brands did you consider?
    • Why did you choose the Turner over the other brands you considered?
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    • What first interested you in a Yeti bike?
      Since 2003 when I got my first 5 Spot
      Evil Wreckoning, Santa Cruz Nomad, Knolly Warden, Transition Patrol
      Dave Turner and crew (amazing group of people IMO) and the RFX checked all the boxes at the time.
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 05-07-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What first interested you in a Turner bike?
    LBS was a Turner dealer so I got to throw a leg over a few. Attracted by the Made in the USA at the time.[*]What other brands did you consider?
    Ventana, Yeti[*]Why did you choose the Turner over the other brands you considered?
    Used to ride Ventanas and loved the quality and their customer service. Then I was looking for a more pedal-efficient bike, demoed the RFX vs the SB6, and the rest is history!
    Last edited by JC822; 05-05-2017 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    First turner was a DHR, then burner, sold both and now have an RFX.

Bought it because my ironhorse was dying and the DW link suits me really well, just kept at it. No other bike i've tried have been better for me, best case perhaps equal so.. meh why not just keep it going

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bought a 5 spot from a shop in 2009, I liked the made in USA and DW link. Seemed like a cool small company which I liked compared to the big box brands like Giant and Specialized.

FYI also bought a Intense 951 DH bike the following year, which I sold a couple years ago. Kinda the same deal with that company that I also liked about Turner.

Shop accidentally cut into my 5spot frame while removing a stuck headset, was offered a discount on a Burner.

Burner frame cracked Turner offered me a discount on a RFX.

Currently happy with my RFX and Turner, long as Turners customer service remains good, which it has.

So kinda been hooked into Turner since 2009.

Demoed a few bikes since being on Turners and nothings really blown me away to make me want to sell my bike and switch companies.

Couple bikes have my attention like the YT Capra, Rocky Mountain Slayer, and Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail.

Would like to try a different bike but think I will be saving up for a DH bike instead in addition to my RFX.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I bought a Turner because of the DWlink.......after endless e-arguments with iHeartBikes....over DWlink and multilink SP. I started researching Turner. Then decided to buy a Flux 275. That was 2013.......now I'm ready to jump into carbon and Turner doesn't offer my size in the Flux v4.0. So I am considering a Santa Cruz 5010 or TB3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You just touched on what I find to be an issue that I think we all struggle with both the consumer and the mfg. It is fit/sizing. I myself tried a number of brands some were close to the fit I wanted and some I was right in the middle of two sizes. I personally disagree with adjusting fit with stem length. Five mm either way not a big deal but when you get to the 12-15mm change in stem length has a significant effect on steering not to mention wheel base and weight distribution. Of course as humans we are very adaptable but should we have to be? The good thing for me in regards to Turner's Dave builds them in sizes that I like. I would like to see some numbers $ in regards to what it would take for mfg's to provide frame sizes in smaller increments. Instead of what seems to one+ inches to maybe half inch increments. Have any brands done any studies too see how many lost sells they have had do to this?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mainly went with the RFX based on reputation. Turner was always up front with me, supportive and I know they stand behind the products. I had a 6pack, then an RFX, sold my bikes when I moved, then spent a little while without an AM type bike, then got a Specialized 29er Enduro. While the Enduro was fun coming downhill, it wasn't the fastest way downhill and the suspension sucked for longer or steeper rides. I had ridden DW turners before, so I was pretty confident about some of the details. I like to ride hard and have a bike that is capable of aggressive riding, whether it's at a park, in the woods, a shuttle run, or a long epic XC. This fit the bill. I had also replaced the bearings on the Enduro and the ridiculous cable routing had sawed through the chainstay (got a new one though). I needed to get off of that and on something more reliable and solid without proprietary shock stuff. I didn't really look at anything else, when the RFX was announced I was in the market and sold. Shortly after I ordered mine, the price went up a bit. If the Wreckoning had been announced a little earlier, it might have been a little harder decision to make, but I'm happy with the wheel size on the RFX and the balanced traits.

I got to get it back on dirt today and it put a huge smile on my face.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Reputation, design, small company with good CS

Santa Cruz, Pivot, Salsa

Fit, ride, ability to demo and discuss with bike designer at HQ, trade-in program

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My LBS had a trade in 5 Spot, I bought that in 07. I have not been without a Turner in the garage since then. At times there have been 6.

I did buy 2 Sworks bikes 4 years ago, but that just ended up being frustrating and expensive. Back to 3 Turners in the garage (plus one in the shop that my wife does not know about)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    (plus one in the shop that my wife does not know about)
    ftw.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Had to be back around 2000 or so, I was in Asheville, NC at a shop that carried Turner and they had built a Turner up, featuring it prominently. Don't remember the model, but it just looked bad-ass and it was from a brand that I'd never heard of - which added to the mystique I'm sure. I then researched the brand and sort of followed it in the background for a number of years as I went to school and started a career, finally to get into a position to buy one in 2014 (Burner).

Sadly, my Burner frame cracked, but with some help from DT, I'm on a RFX now and loving it.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    (plus one in the shop that my wife does not know about)
    Ditto!
    I have officially two Turner's, plus the one under a blanket and a spare frame (4 then).

The rule is always make sure I never have all three uncovered at any one time. Oh - a make sure that they are all the same colour Raw frames all look the same right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Review in MBA in about 1997 convinced me to get my XCE. Had 6 Turners but not got one now

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My first Turner was also an XCE. I got it in 1999 after a magazine review (Mountain Bike?) where the reviewer bought one after the test.

It's still getting ridden, I probably couldn't say that about the other bikes I was looking at at the time

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    As an East Coast XC racer in the late 90's I became instantly enamored with the K2 Razorback bikes I was seeing on the courses ( not much Turner presence on the XC scene here back then) When upgrade time came my research of course led me to the Turner Stinger. After a great call with Greg, I wound up purchasing an O2, as my RTR weight was above what the Stinger was designed for. The year was 2001, and I have ridden and raced Turners exclusively since then (the O2, 2008 Flux, 2015 Burner, 2017 Czar). I am currently having a total blast on the Burner and Czar.