Hope Mono M4 IS - 180mm, 183mm or 185mm?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hope Mono M4 IS - 180mm, 183mm or 185mm?

It's a x-copy from the "Brake time" forum. I know that many homers used Hope brakes on their homermobile I want it also on my 5spot. But I need help in identification. Used search, but can't find a correct answer.

One guy offered me a used Hope Mono M4 in mint condition. The problem is I'm using Shimano wheels with center-lock XTR rotors, 180mm front and 160mm rear. Those Hopes are also "180mm" front and "160mm" rear. But is it 180mm or 183mm or 185mm calipers? Will it work with my 180mm and 160mm Shimano rotors, or I will need to get original Hope 183(185)mm and 163(165)mm rotors? I have Vanilla fork with standard IS mount.

There is nothing like "Caliper No...." marks on brake calipers. Owner said there is only "Hope Mono M4" and "04-05" marks on the caliper.

Brakes photo.

Thanks in advance!

trail fairy
    I had those same brakes for awhile they are definitley Mono 4s
    Should be no issues running em if youve got the exisiting mounts for the rotor sizes youre running, using those calipers should be no issue, I used mine with Magura rotors and Braking rotors with no issues!

Just watch the master cyclinder at the lever and the top caps esspecially they had bad batchs where they leaked and there's no fix they tried replacing bladders with mine to no avail I gave up in the end if you get a good set then theyre good, just check for leaks first!

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for info!

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I had those same brakes for awhile they are definitley Mono 4s
    Should be no issues running em if youve got the exisiting mounts for the rotor sizes youre running, using those calipers should be no issue, I used mine with Magura rotors and Braking rotors with no issues!
    My current brakes is Shimano XT '08. It's PM caliper, with standard IS-PM adapter. But those Hopes are IS mount, it's mean I can't use shims to move it up or down. And, if caliper is 183mm it's mean that brake pads will not use full surface with 180mm rotor. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Just watch the master cyclinder at the lever and the top caps esspecially they had bad batchs where they leaked and there's no fix they tried replacing bladders with mine to no avail I gave up in the end if you get a good set then theyre good, just check for leaks first!
    How do I know if it the "wrong one" (let's say it was cleaned before selling)?

banned
    Those appear to be the 180 fr/160 rr calipers. I have an older (05 or so) caliper that has the longer mounts for 200 up front and 180 back.

As far as the levers go, I wouldn't worry about the prospect of leaking. The signs are there that these levers aren't one of those levers, such as being in service and being upgraded with the SS lines. TA is overblowing a problem HE had. This is not a common problem with Hope levers at all.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Those appear to be the 180 fr/160 rr calipers. I have an older (05 or so) caliper that has the longer mounts for 200 up front and 180 back.

As far as the levers go, I wouldn't worry about the prospect of leaking. The signs are there that these levers aren't one of those levers, such as being in service and being upgraded with the SS lines. TA is overblowing a problem HE had. This is not a common problem with Hope levers at all.
    Not over blowing just saying he should check em out first as said if goog then theyre sweet, agree though they look like 180/160 should have no issues with his shimano rotors, and they look in good condition.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Ultimate Poseur
    I have the same brake on the front of my Spot (Mini on the rear) using a 180mm Hope rotor. You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks guys! Brakes are already mounted on my bike. It's exactly 180mm front and 160mm rear. Matched with Shimano rotors without problem. Photos will be later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    180mm

Here is a picture of my 180mm M4 on the rear of my Sultan:

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you ever want to go to a 200mm-ish rotor setup with that front brake, you need the 200mm rotor and the 200mm adaptor that they used to make for the manitou dorado, because the dorado had a post-mount, and you needed the 180mm front brake caliper + the manitou adaptor to run it with a 200mm rotor.

This only applies for the old IS (not post) mount 180mm caliper half.

I run this setup on a marocchi 66 right now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've tested them hardly, in Leogang, Austria

The only problem was - they howl like a train when overheated

Members who have read this thread: 0