Honda Turner and The Tour de Cure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Honda Turner and The Tour de Cure

Many of you on this forum know that I donated a kidney to my wife last year. What many of you don't know is why. My wife Lori is a diabetic. She was diagnosed with adolescent onset diabetes at the age of 4. Living with this disease for over 31 year finally took its toll on Lori's kidneys. Believe it or not Lori was actually fortunate because every year more than 210,000 people die because of diabetes. This brings me to The Tour de Cure. Due to Lori's poor heath we were unable to ride in the Tour de Cure for the last few years. In the past we had been very active in this charity ride. The other week we participated in our first Tour De Cure in 3 years. This was the best Tour de Cure we’ve done!!! I tell you, to watch Lori cranking here pink XCE up the hills Valley Center for 34 miles was very inspiring, especially when you look back at where she was just one year ago. The Honda Turner team so far has raised almost $800.00. We're already looking forward to next years Tour De Cure. Maybe we can get a crew of Turner owners together for next year's ride, there are several different dates to choose from in SoCal! If you would like to make a donation for a very good cause please click on the image below.

mtbr member

Tour de Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    Many of you on this forum know that I donated a kidney to my wife last year. What many of you don't know is why. My wife Lori is a diabetic. She was diagnosed with adolescent onset diabetes at the age of 4. Living with this disease for over 31 year finally took its toll on Lori's kidneys. Believe it or not Lori was actually fortunate because every year more than 210,000 people die because of diabetes. This brings me to The Tour de Cure. Due to Lori's poor heath we were unable to ride in the Tour de Cure for the last few years. In the past we had been very active in this charity ride. The other week we participated in our first Tour De Cure in 3 years. This was the best Tour de Cure we?ve done!!! I tell you, to watch Lori cranking here pink XCE up the hills Valley Center for 34 miles was very inspiring, especially when you look back at where she was just one year ago. The Honda Turner team so far has raised almost $800.00. We're already looking forward to next years Tour De Cure. Maybe we can get a crew of Turner owners together for next year's ride, there are several different dates to choose from in SoCal! If you would like to make a donation for a very good cause please click on the image below.

I think it's awesome you're wife is riding-and big contrats to her for making the 34 miles. We live in Seattle, WA where there is a growing number of Turner riders-is there a Tour de Cure in WA-if so, maybe we can get some riders together?
    Turtle

mtbr member

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    Many of you on this forum know that I donated a kidney to my wife last year. What many of you don't know is why. My wife Lori is a diabetic. She was diagnosed with adolescent onset diabetes at the age of 4. Living with this disease for over 31 year finally took its toll on Lori's kidneys. Believe it or not Lori was actually fortunate because every year more than 210,000 people die because of diabetes. This brings me to The Tour de Cure. Due to Lori's poor heath we were unable to ride in the Tour de Cure for the last few years. In the past we had been very active in this charity ride. The other week we participated in our first Tour De Cure in 3 years. This was the best Tour de Cure we’ve done!!! I tell you, to watch Lori cranking here pink XCE up the hills Valley Center for 34 miles was very inspiring, especially when you look back at where she was just one year ago. The Honda Turner team so far has raised almost $800.00. We're already looking forward to next years Tour De Cure. Maybe we can get a crew of Turner owners together for next year's ride, there are several different dates to choose from in SoCal! If you would like to make a donation for a very good cause please click on the image below.

I too have family with diabetes, and rode the San Diego Tour de Cure last year. I think you're north of me, but if you want some help organizing a Turner group, let me know. If not, e mail me, and I'll send you a donation.

BTW, you don't ride the metric century on your Turner do you?

Brent

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Ratfink]Many of you on this forum know that I donated a kidney to my wife last year. What many of you don't know is why. My wife Lori is a diabetic. She was diagnosed with adolescent onset diabetes at the age of 4. Living with this disease for over 31 year finally took its toll on Lori's kidneys. Believe it or not Lori was actually fortunate because every year more than 210,000 people die because of diabetes. This brings me to The Tour de Cure. Due to Lori's poor heath we were unable to ride in the Tour de Cure for the last few years. In the past we had been very active in this charity ride. The other week we participated in our first Tour De Cure in 3 years. This was the best Tour de Cure we?ve done!!! I tell you, to watch Lori cranking here pink XCE up the hills Valley Center for 34 miles was very inspiring, especially when you look back at where she was just one year ago. The Honda Turner team so far has raised almost $800.00. We're already looking forward to next years Tour De Cure. Maybe we can get a crew of Turner owners together for next year's ride, there are several different dates to choose from in SoCal! If you would like to make a donation for a very good cause please click on the image below.

Count me in. I was looking for an excuse to ride in S. California and I can't think of a better reason than supporting such a worthy cause.

Congrats to your wife on completing the 34 mile ride. That's really inspiring. Your wife is awesome!!!!!

Keep up the great work!

mtbr member
    BTW, I've raised $3400 combined in the two latest Tour DeCure rides here. One of my employees has a 4 year old with infantile diabetes, so sad. I rode my 02/XCE on one ride and my 5 Spot in the next. Next year I'll ride my RFX /Z150 with slicks just to be different. Yeah, the metric century and my buddy riding the carbon fiber spandex pony whipped me good.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

good ol dog dreams
    Apr 2004

Good job! Very cool Ratfink!

Wow man, that's great. Real nice to here your wife is doing well and your into the Tour de Cure. I was diagnosed with Type 1 (insulin depedent) diabetes when I was 15 and am now 30. We used to have the Tour de Cure here in Augusta, GA but once I went off to college it kind of dissipated.
    It's great seeing folks doing the things they enjoy and not having diabetes get in the way. When I was diagnosed I never thought I'd be doing 100 mile endurance off road rides/races or even riding a mtn. bike for that matter. Once I turned 18 I realized I needed to exercise, saw a bunch of folks on TV racing in the mud, off road on multi-geared bikes and looked like what we did as kids on our BMX bikes! Bought a cheapo schwinn and was hooked immediately. Best thing I could have ever done for my diabetes.
    I'm using an insulin pump now instead of 4 injections per day and it's like having a pancreas on my hip. My riding has improved and my A1Cs stay around a 6.0!

Congrats and thanks on such a great Tour de Cure!

Members who have read this thread: 0