yelgatgab
    Jan 2004

Highline sag question

Mmkay, so if the rear shock has 2.75 inches of stroke (~70mm), and I'm looking for about 30% sag, then I want about 21mm of static sag, right?

Is 30% the ideal, or am I looking for more/less?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    30 is what the book says, i haven't measured mine exactly but i'd say i'm around the 25% mark. feels plenty good enough for a pie eater like me!

Just another FOC'er
    You can try this calculator http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm. That page also talks a little bit about what sag you should have for the type of riding you're doing.

BTW, when you're checking sag you want to have 65% of your weight on the back tire and 35% on the front. That seems to be the most common standard

Toby Wong?
    hi bags

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    hi bags

Hi tap

Set at about the suggested sag and then go for a ride. Adjust either way accordingly. Bike rides are more informative than rulers.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Toby Wong?
    hi woo

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Mmkay, so if the rear shock has 2.75 inches of stroke (~70mm), and I'm looking for about 30% sag, then I want about 21mm of static sag, right?

Is 30% the ideal, or am I looking for more/less?
    I'd say 30% is ideal. At least in my case it was. First I was running #500 spring/ sag around 25% and rear was bad, really bad. Swap for #400/ sag 30% and now it's fine. It brakes and rides much better.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Hi Tap, woo.

Thanks for the info folks. So, am I calculating correctly though? I mean, I'm determining a percentage of 2.75", correct?

IT: How much do you weigh geared up? I'm running a 400# at Turner's suggestion, and I almost feel like I could go lighter.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 09-07-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    You are correct.

I've found that with almost every design, especially my turner, I tend to like lower than reccomended spring rates. Your shock has a lot to do with it too. I'd back off the boost valve and propedal so you can start as close to a straight spring as possible. Back off the preload collar as much as you can and see if it works for you then go from there. There's kind of a balancing act between damping resistance and preload you need to play around with.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Hi Tap, woo.

Thanks for the info folks. So, am I calculating correctly though? I mean, I'm determining a percentage of 2.75", correct?

IT: How much do you weigh geared up? I'm running a 400# at Turner's suggestion, and I almost feel like I could go lighter.
    Bag: I weight 172lb w/o gear. Full geared I guess 177lb. As I said #500 was too much for me. Now it's fine, bike handles and brakes great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey Bag,
    I weigh 210 with gear and was recommended a 500.. Felt rough and not very compliant.
    Now I've got a 450 on there and it feels fantastic. Try running a lower spring rate. I run about 30% sag, with a CCDB and its perfect for me. The Highline is truly a kick-a$$ rig once you get set up right.

Flyin Canine
    I'll echo what hambone said. I'm about 210 with gear too and just switched from a 500 to a 450 and like it better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New question here.

i've got a highline with a fox DHX coil shock - is it possible to change the travel from the 8.5" to 7"? Do you need a different shock?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Sandy
    i've got a highline with a fox DHX coil shock - is it possible to change the travel from the 8.5" to 7"? Do you need a different shock?

Yes.

You need an 8.5 x 2.5

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Sandy
    yep, that's my xc setup .

lots of hiliners are running the 8.5, have a look here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=143032

in fact I think DT mentioned going to the 8.5 stock and 8.75 will be an option for the next run of HL's.

want to buy a 8.5x2.5 dhx air?

Members who have read this thread: 0