Hey Kool-Aid!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hey Kool-Aid!!

not so super...

Hey Kool-Aid!!

Why has everyone been so quite about this 29'r thing? I would have switched a long time ago if one of ya'll had spoken up. How about sharing your thoughts with us on a more frequent basis.

Just to make sure I had made the right decision on selling the Spot, one of the local zealots arranged for me to have some extended saddle time on a Sultan. I tried to sabotage it by "losing" my car keys but he managed to find my hiding spot and the ride continued. It was a large (one size too large for me) with a WB F135 up front. I put my saddle and pedales on it to make it seem like home. It had a Ignitor up front and a CrossMark out back.

We rode a variety of trails from smooth twisties to chunk covered DH to steep switchback climbs. It handled just like the Spot through the twisties. It held the speed slightly better in the flats. I noticed some of the missing travel on the DH but did not hinder my descent. It held a line and had better traction on the climbs. Where I noticed the biggest difference was through the rolling tech sections. I rolled over rocks and roots with out pedaling while still holding my speed.

I think I'm going to like the Sultan!
    Nothing to see here.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

Why has everyone been so quite about this 29'r thing? I would have switched a long time ago if one of ya'll had spoken up. How about sharing your thoughts with us on a more frequent basis.

Just to make sure I had made the right decision on selling the Spot, one of the local zealots arranged for me to have some extended saddle time on a Sultan. I tried to sabotage it by "losing" my car keys but he managed to find my hiding spot and the ride continued. It was a large (one size too large for me) with a WB F135 up front. I put my saddle and pedales on it to make it seem like home. It had a Ignitor up front and a CrossMark out back.

We rode a variety of trails from smooth twisties to chunk covered DH to steep switchback climbs. It handled just like the Spot through the twisties. It held the speed slightly better in the flats. I noticed some of the missing travel on the DH but did not hinder my descent. It held a line and had better traction on the climbs. Where I noticed the biggest difference was through the rolling tech sections. I rolled over rocks and roots with out pedaling while still holding my speed.

I think I'm going to like the Sultan!
    Thanks for the review. I'll have to check one out.

Chur.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Thanks for the review. I'll have to check one out.

Chur.....
    Speaking of chur, is Darren still working on those rockers that convert the Sultan to DW-Link?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Speaking of chur, is Darren still working on those rockers that convert the Sultan to DW-Link?
    he's working on an ICT kit. I hear it's the next big thing. It comes with stickers that say "chur"

Lay off the Levers
    Hey, Asimil-Aid!!!

"Ooohhh YEAAAAAHH!"
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Zilla@hotlinking.com

Have you been borrowing Cruz's bike? I remember absolutely loving one of the rolling sections at Monte Sano the few times I've ridden there. I wore myself out tearing through them.

not so super...
    it was Jeffs raw Sultan
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Good on you SS for finding new stoke!
    Enjoy.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

it was Jeffs raw Sultan
    A fine choice!

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Have you been borrowing Cruz's bike?
    Not mine, I needed mine to look for keys

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    Not mine, I needed mine to look for keys

Doh!
    Nothing to see here.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I need to stop coming to this forum. Ordered my Sultan Tuesday. Larry thinks it'll just take a coupla weeks, but my wheels won't be here for a coupla months. Patience ain't my strong suit.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    A fine choice!
    Hear hear!

Don't know when I'll be back through H-Ville, but looking forward to seeing the colony of Sultans that has sprung up there.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Cruz, SS - I should be back down there for the first week in September if someone can find me a bike to ride. Too expensive now to take mine when I fly for work with Delta, $230 each way last time I checked on their website

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    I need to stop coming to this forum. Ordered my Sultan Tuesday. Larry thinks it'll just take a coupla weeks, but my wheels won't be here for a coupla months. Patience ain't my strong suit.
    I'm guessing I9's. Same boat here.
    Nothing to see here.

Living the Dream

When I was traveling a lot for work

Cruz, SS - I should be back down there for the first week in September if someone can find me a bike to ride. Too expensive now to take mine when I fly for work with Delta, $230 each way last time I checked on their website
    I would FEDEX my 5Spot to the hotel I was staying at. I used a Crateworks Box and it usually came to $40-$60. Of course, this was pre $4 gas, so the rates may have gone up substantially.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I'm guessing I9's. Same boat here.
    Ding, winnah!

Think I'm going to have to get a cheapy rim + spokes and take a hub from an unused 26" wheel to make something I can at least get rolling with sooner.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

not so super...
    CTP was kind enough to offer a spare set he has until mine show up. Of course it'll probably cost me a big$$ steak dinner.
    Nothing to see here.

aka...appBLING72
    I heard it was gonna be pink. Does that that mean that we should now call you "Smurfette"????

Miss that hang bro!!

Expert Crasher
    Alabama's turning into Sultan nation....I'm sure CTP had 'no' influence on your decision what so ever....like he didn't on mine but subtley passing me his to try out at the FTF last fall...like feeding crack to an addict......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Alabama's turning into Sultan nation....
    SS's will make 5 in Huntsville

mtbr member

I woulda

told you about the 29er kool aid but ever since I got it I've been too busy riding! There is no longer a need for 26" wheels, except for DH bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member

Wink

I know it would be a royal PITA, but you could easily semi disassmble your bike if it's an FS and fit it and the wheels into a good sized wheel box and then the fork into a hard bottomed duffle with clotes/padding. Did it last year with my RIP9 Xl to Denver and Delta didn;t charge me a thing extra - it came in just a smidge (63") over the 62" linear measurement allowed and under the 50lb weight limit. Image attached of the rear triangle folded into the front triangle.

Oh yeah SSinga, 29ers rule
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    SS's will make 5 in Huntsville
    sweet nibblets. Too bad I'll be gone for the fat tire fest this year - moving to Miami.

For a brief few days, I"ll have 2 Sultans while I upsize to an XL frameset. New frame will be raw, bronze frame is heading up way north to Canada.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    I heard it was gonna be pink.
    Just a rumor!

We're riding Chilhowee this weekend if you can make it. I'll be on a borrowed PINK 29'r bike.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0