Hey Dave!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hey Dave!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Hey Dave!

Hi Dave,
    Just wondering about the future line up of Turner bikes. A new Sultan, 5Spot, DHR etc or even a radical never seen before design. Maybe Mr Weagle has invented a new suspension platform for Turner.

Put it this way, Turner riders past and present are getting concerned and impatient. This Forum is shrinking and Facey-gram posts are slowing. Itís been a while since you commented on here.

So just a morsel, titbit, glimmer, hint of what the Turner Bike future holds. Flirt with us, tempt us and tease us with your ideas.

Turner followers love the bikes. So what the .... is going on! Donít loose the homers, letís have bikes on sofas and shredding the trails. Like the old days.

Just a bit of info is all I ask. It wonít hurt.
    Skye

mtbr member
    May 2014
    You sound like an unfulfilled groupie who hasn't been hammered enough by a Turner in the woods or behind the hills.. Ride more so so won't need to post these possibly relavant ,, yet creepy thought of yours (heeheee!!). If it's too cold where you live, get a Wahoo Kickr. IF you need some glimmer, morsels & tidbits. Go to Instagram & Facebook. Those are the new social media platforms. DT just released info this morning on (pre-order) of the new ART Ti bike. I'm getting one...I'm kidding by the way regarding my above statements..Yes I too enjoyed these (this forum) when I bought my first Turner 5 spot in 1994. There are many more outlets for Turner Bike fans, and yes most people no longer use this one. Again I'm kidding, and you are loved By me on an exponential scale immensely!There, you just had a big Rock Star, unknown to you, (who loves the Hungarian minor scale) scold you, yet also showed you love!

mtbr member
    A new antigravity design is on the way from the lord wizard dt

Elitest thrill junkie
    What do I need besides an RFX?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow Bullrun can I have some of what youíre taking.
    Yeh but the Cyclosys is a limited run.
    So why are riders asking about a new Sultan or 29er RFX. Carbon layup in the USA? Remember when this forum was rockin. So many characters. Other forums are still buzzin.
    Itíll just take DT to contribute a little more. Without trolling through all the posts the last time he mentioned something was about pedal placement I think.
    Maybe his business plan has changed. Smaller company concentrating on just a few frames. Nothing wrong with that.
    Skye

Pro Crastinator
    Dave?

Dave's not here....

mtbr member
    Times change. Companies come and go. I used to care about what I rode. Now I just want to ride. There are lots of good bikes out there and I don't know how unique Turner is anymore.

I say ride your bike and be happy. Let Turner worry about Turner.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    ..Let Turner worry about Turner.
    You sound like an unfulfilled groupie who hasn't been hammered enough by a Turner in the woods or behind the... Oh nevermind, that was someone else...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .westcoasthucker. View Post
    you sound like an unfulfilled groupie who hasn't been hammered enough by a turner in the woods or behind the... Oh nevermind, that was someone else...
    lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skyerose123 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Just wondering about the future line up of Turner bikes. A new Sultan, 5Spot, DHR etc or even a radical never seen before design. Maybe Mr Weagle has invented a new suspension platform for Turner.

Put it this way, Turner riders past and present are getting concerned and impatient. This Forum is shrinking and Facey-gram posts are slowing. Itís been a while since you commented on here.

So just a morsel, titbit, glimmer, hint of what the Turner Bike future holds. Flirt with us, tempt us and tease us with your ideas.

Turner followers love the bikes. So what the .... is going on! Donít loose the homers, letís have bikes on sofas and shredding the trails. Like the old days.

Just a bit of info is all I ask. It wonít hurt.
    It's pretty clear that, for whatever reason, Turner is simply not going to be developing new designs at the rate they were previously and doesn't appear to be overly concerned with projecting a public image to the contrary. There's any number of explanations for it. I've heard Dave in interviews hint at everything from global trade to local taxes to his own personal philosophies about wasteful consumerism. Dave even predicts the end of the MTB industry as we know it due to e-bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZuUn5Ci2k

I suppose you can take that as an ominous sign for the brand but, while it used to concern me too, either Turner will keep on going like this or it won't. Nothing we do or say is going to change that. And I'm fine with that. It's Dave business and he's never seemed particularly dissuaded from his own vision - which is why we like him.

But, I also think it's encouraging to see brands like REEB and Guerrilla Gravity. Obviously, we'll see if they have staying power, but it's still positive for the US boutique MTB industry. I hope Turner sticks around for many years to come but, if not, hopefully we'll have something to fall back on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmtb View Post
    It's pretty clear that, for whatever reason, Turner is simply not going to be developing new designs at the rate they were previously and doesn't appear to be overly concerned with projecting a public image to the contrary. There's any number of explanations for it. I've heard Dave in interviews hint at everything from global trade to local taxes to his own personal philosophies about wasteful consumerism. Dave even predicts the end of the MTB industry as we know it due to e-bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZuUn5Ci2k

I suppose you can take that as an ominous sign for the brand but, while it used to concern me too, either Turner will keep on going like this or it won't. Nothing we do or say is going to change that. And I'm fine with that. It's Dave business and he's never seemed particularly dissuaded from his own vision - which is why we like him.

But, I also think it's encouraging to see brands like REEB and Guerrilla Gravity. Obviously, we'll see if they have staying power, but it's still positive for the US boutique MTB industry. I hope Turner sticks around for many years to come but, if not, hopefully we'll have something to fall back on.
    Totally agree, but one standard was customer service. Itís just some time since Dave made an appearance on here. Yeh, heís busy building and riding bikes and I should get out and ride myself (quite literally) however his words of wisdom also kept the forum going.
    Look at the forum now. Whereís the photos of shredding Whistler, Alps, New York and my favourite Kodiak Island to name but a few.
    I hope Dave is a shrewd business man and Turner arenít going the way of this forum. Blasphemy I here you cry. Infamy, infamy youíve all got it in for me! I cry. (Iím sure Mr exPink will get it).
    Anyway, I hope my post keeps a bit more interest in this forum before it dwindles away.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Totally agree, but one standard was customer service. Itís just some time since Dave made an appearance on here. Yeh, heís busy building and riding bikes and I should get out and ride myself (quite literally) however his words of wisdom also kept the forum going.
    Look at the forum now. Whereís the photos of shredding Whistler, Alps, New York and my favourite Kodiak Island to name but a few.
    I hope Dave is a shrewd business man and Turner arenít going the way of this forum. Blasphemy I here you cry. Infamy, infamy youíve all got it in for me! I cry. (Iím sure Mr exPink will get it).
    Anyway, I hope my post keeps a bit more interest in this forum before it dwindles away.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I guess my point is that I think everything you say is understandable, Dave is probably fully aware of your concerns, and, nonetheless, he's consciously decided against actively addressing them. It's not just the expressed concerns of fans like you, it's the general expectations of the MTB industry that you must constantly change and evolve - which Dave is going to know better than us. So, I think the "silence" on this issue is an active choice on Turner's part, despite whatever PR hit it might risk. For me, best case: Turner has made a choice to say (albeit indirectly) "this is our line up, we're happy with it, it's a sustainable business model, no need for change, love it or leave it." Worst case: it's a sign of Turner of struggling. I think we have to make our peace with that.

Having said that, I can't say that I'm not curious. If you happen to spark a response, more power to you!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    but one standard was customer service.
    Just because Dave doesn't spend time online disclosing future plans does not mean Turner CS is lacking. I'll put money on a quick and thorough answer from any inquiry sent to TSB.

mtbr member
    DT posted on here yesterday....

And Jayem, don't you also have (need?) a fatbike and an XC 29er along with your RFX?

mtbr member
    For a small company, chasing ever changing standards with carbon bikes sourced from China has got to be a bitch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    For a small company, chasing ever changing standards with carbon bikes sourced from China has got to be a bitch.
    This. I think one of the responses to this is to just kind of pick a solid, "flagship" line of frames and stick with it for a long time. Kind of like say how Porsche will pick a "generation" of 911's and just stick with it for years.

Also, DT likes to drop hints like this:

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    I have found that the Schick Quattro with 4 blades lasts a long time and cuts with little collateral damage. Certainly outdated compared to the 5 blade system but does the job just fine. But whats really interesting is the resurgence of single blade shaving, to read about it one would think that it's all we ever needed and disposable 2-6 cartridges are just a bunch of over priced and over marketed hype. What's next, mountain bikes without suspension? What happens when the dog catches it's tail?! Will bell bottoms really come back, again?
    It's pretty obvious that, unless Turner is able to somehow bring frame manufacturing in-house or domestic, this is Turner's philosophy going forward. It'd probably be better if this philosophy was a bit more spelled out, but it's not and that's fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This thread is frigging bizarre.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    This thread is frigging bizarre.
    It's not, of course. Just some Turner fans discussing the future of the brand in a mtb forum dedicated to Turner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmtb View Post
    It's not, of course. Just some Turner fans discussing the future of the brand in a mtb forum dedicated to Turner.
    The "fanboys begging for attention" part is pretty weird man, ya gotta admit.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Historically, Dave has been very interactive on this site. Maybe this site is outdated, fair enough. But, it's not just random attention seeking. And to be fair, Dave's always been "unique" with how he markets Turner. These questions are going to pop up as a result. I just think there's an "elephant in the room" quality to this topic that's going to keep coming up unless and until there's new bikes. Small companies come and go in the MTB industry so, it's to be expected that some Turner fans will ask these questions primarily, out of respect and admiration for the brand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No, youíre missing the point. Three reasons I bought a Turner
    Performance
    Made in the USA
    Customer service
    No Four reasons I bought a Turner
    Dave taking time out to listen and advise Turner riders.

Ok how many of those are still relevant. Iím not dissing Dave but just wondering whatís going on. It seems cyclosis is whatís going on. Brand allegiance is important but just look at this forum. Itís pathetic (not those who ride Turners or contribute) just itís shrinking. How long does MTBR say enough! and shoots it to put it out of its misery.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Performance
    Made in the USA
    Customer service
    No Four reasons I bought a Turner
    Dave taking time out to listen and advise Turner riders.

Ok how many of those are still relevant. Iím not dissing Dave but just wondering whatís going on. It seems cyclosis is whatís going on. Brand allegiance is important but just look at this forum. Itís pathetic (not those who ride Turners or contribute) just itís shrinking. How long does MTBR say enough! and shoots it to put it out of its misery.
    I guess I really can't say I've put 'chatting with the company owner on internet forums' on the list of important things to consider when choosing a bike.

Also don't understand how 'brand allegiance is important'. Important how? To who?
    I mean, I guess it would be important to those trying to sell their stuff; nice to develop a bit of a captive audience from that angle. But from a consumer angle, what does it get you?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looking for a new bike, came back to Turner Forum hoping to see a conservative frame coming out that could meet my needs. Found . . . this bizarre thread instead. Truly very different than the Turner forum of years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    Looking for a new bike, came back to Turner Forum hoping to see a conservative frame coming out that could meet my needs. Found . . . this bizarre thread instead. Truly very different than the Turner forum of years ago.
    Not bizarre just reality. It was buzzing on here a few years ago. But now itís mainly about the Cyclosys, Dave producing a 29er RFX, a bike build or ďhow toĒ. There is/was also ďwhat happened to this forumĒwhich also makes a point.

People were winning competitions on Turners!

Dave whatís your mission statement. Give us just a hint of where you envisage your company will be in the future and the bikes that could appear. Much appreciated.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Performance
    Made in the USA
    Customer service
    All I can say is Guerrilla Gravity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    All I can say is Guerrilla Gravity.
    And Revel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    And Revel.
    Based on what? They just come out a couple weeks ago right?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Dave, I drafted a mishiní statement for ya.

TSB aims to continue its tradition of trend skepticism, shooting straight and designing select bikes that we ourselves like to ride. We will continue focusing on making bikes and industry involvement Ė not on being popular. If you donít like it, you can start your own bike company and see how that goes.

Please advise of necessary edits.

mtbr member
    Will the 29er rfx coming out fit plus sized tires?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    Will the 29er rfx coming out fit plus sized tires?
    freebiker, I donít know who you are but I love your post. Keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk