Help: Stripped axle nut on Fox 36RC2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Help: Stripped axle nut on Fox 36RC2

First off, this is a cross post, but I figured enough guys/gals had 36's on their Turners to merit posting it here:

I just sold my lovely RFX to a nice gal in AZ, and while removing the front wheel for shipping I managed to strip the 5mm hex nut on the end of the axle.

I'm sure this has happened to other folks, so anyone out there know how I can remove this w/o damaging the forks?

I really want to take care of this quickly for her so she can give the bike to her BF as a present. Very embarrassing...

Andrew

PS: Not leaving Turner, just ordering a new 5Spot.
    Will do math for food.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Probably obviously, you'll need a new axle. For the short term, you could drill two small holes in it spaced so that one of the little spanner wrenches that used to come with every Shimano crank b4 external bearing versions. It's the little wrench used to tighten or remove the self-extracting insert for each crank arm. Or the same idea, if you have a better quality pin spanner, like some SS bikes use to adjust chain tension via an eccentric bottom bracket.

After just one cup of coffee, that's the best I've got!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Bodhisattva
    Those 36 axles have been known to freeze. Mine did, despite being generously greased, but I picked up on it before stripping the nut. I have a feeling that yours is also frozen which lead to the stripping.

If I'm right then you're gonna need two long handled screwdrivers. Loosen the 4 dropout bolts completely and pry open the gaps. You may need someone to help you. This will make removal of the axle a lot easier. If the axle nut is completely stripped then you can try kosmo's suggestion above. Alternatively, you can take a dremel or hacksaw and carefully cut a slot in the nut and then unscrew the axle with a screwdriver. This might be tough to do if it's really frozen. Another option is an easy-out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thx, guys. I'll try the spanner option first, then the easy-out, then the screwdriver prying option as the last resort.

Thx again for the help!

SuLing, if you're out there: Sorry! I'm working on it.
    Will do math for food.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by amaner
    Thx, guys. I'll try the spanner option first, then the easy-out, then the screwdriver prying option as the last resort.

Thx again for the help!

SuLing, if you're out there: Sorry! I'm working on it.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thx again for the responses, folks. I simply tapped in the ez out (no drilling needed), twisted and pop it was out.

So SuLing, I'll call Fox on Monday and have 'em ship you an axle.

Andrew
    Will do math for food.

No, that's not phonetic
    Whoah. Freaky time warp. You are about to send her the RFX with Fox 36 she has already posted pics riding? Or does Ms Ling need a bevy of RFXs?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Or does Ms Ling need a bevy of RFXs?
    Not a bevy...but Ms Su Lingee needs a sweetass RFX for her man! Now what man wouldn't want that?

su ling
    ~~~

No, that's not phonetic
    Wow. So you wear the pants.... er, buy the bikes, 'round that house, eh? Kewl.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

involuntary dismounter
    hey Su -
    i think the man then needs to put up a 'look at the bike my gf bought me' thread...a refreshing change from all of the 'look at the bike my bf bought me' threads out there...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Clearly, Su Ling read the tongue in cheek "How to be a good Turner Wife" thread last week!
    Whining is not a strategy.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Shoot, I don't think "greet your man at the door with a new Turner" was even on the list!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hey squeek. seein as how ill have one of these in my hands within a week, is there any way to help prevent that from happinin to me? i mean besides gettin a lyric or a 66 sl ata, so dont even start with me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey squeek. seein as how ill have one of these in my hands within a week, is there any way to help prevent that from happinin to me? i mean besides gettin a lyric or a 66 sl ata, so dont even start with me.
    I don't really know other than to recommend loosening/reinstalling the axle regularly to prevent freeze.

Just remembered, Fox has addressed this issue for the 07 36s. The axle is a 2-piece setup with the end nut being separate from the axle spindle. In the past axle & end nut loosened in the same direction which made stripping easy. Fox woke up & the new ones have the end nut going opposite the axle. Should take care of the issue.

I was with Darren when mine happened. The axle had been generously greased several rides before and there were no unusual circumstances like a crash or anything.
    It just froze. We pried the crop outs with long handled screwdrivers and salvaged the axle with no damage.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thanx buddy. thats what i wanted to hear. sure would be cool if someone came up with a retrofittable maxle type unit for all these 20mm forks. im kinda surprised we havent seen one yet.
    No, I'm NOT back!

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I don't really know other than to recommend loosening/reinstalling the axle regularly to prevent freeze.

Just remembered, Fox has addressed this issue for the 07 36s. The axle is a 2-piece setup with the end nut being separate from the axle spindle. In the past axle & end nut loosened in the same direction which made stripping easy. Fox woke up & the new ones have the end nut going opposite the axle. Should take care of the issue.

I was with Darren when mine happened. The axle had been generously greased several rides before and there were no unusual circumstances like a crash or anything.
    It just froze. We pried the crop outs with long handled screwdrivers and salvaged the axle with no damage.

Squeak , do you happen to know if the 07 axle ( 2 piece setup ) will fit an 06 36 VAN if necessary ? So far I have not had a problem but have been careful to only torque the pinch bolts to 19 in lbs as recommended and like you mentioned grease the axle good ! Thanks ! TIG.

Bodhisattva
    TIG,
    I can't guarantee it but I'd be surprised if there is an incompatibility. Only thing Fox switched was the threading on the end nut so it now tightens when the skewer is loosened.

Members who have read this thread: 0