mtbr member
    Feb 2005

help a homer travelin to california out

I might be visiting some family in Oxnard at the end of Feb. I'm hoping to bring my bike and ride some trails for a few days. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what/where to ride while I'm out there???

I don't mind driving an hour or so from Oxnard as I'll have a car and free time. I'd like to find some good intermediate riding nothing too gnar core or 'hella' steep just some nice flowy fun trails to rip on my sultan. I'm from the midwest and in beer drinking shape.

help me out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    oh and more importantly sultan or spot?

Peace & Love
    PM me when in town...i am one city south of oxnard. there is great riding within an hour based on whatever type of riding you are looking for. there is killer riding within an hour from the North, Santa Barbara, down towards Los Angeles in the Santa Monicas. A ton of stuff you would enjoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greenchris
    I might be visiting some family in Oxnard at the end of Feb. I'm hoping to bring my bike and ride some trails for a few days. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what/where to ride while I'm out there???

I don't mind driving an hour or so from Oxnard as I'll have a car and free time. I'd like to find some good intermediate riding nothing too gnar core or 'hella' steep just some nice flowy fun trails to rip on my sultan. I'm from the midwest and in beer drinking shape.

help me out!
    There are tons of good trails within an hour of Oxnard! Probably the best nearest trail is Sycamore Canyon in Pt. Mugu State Park. Depending on where you are in Oxnard, you can either ride from the top or the bottom. Either way, I suggest going up Guadalasca trail and down Backbone. It's a pretty good climb - maybe 40 or 50 minutes up Guadalasca, but it's a nice even grade. You can also go up and back down Guadalasca, if Backbone is too technical (it's definitely rougher than Guadalasca, but nothing too serious).

Another really good trail, all singletrack, would be to head east on the Backbone trail from Kanan Road (from the parking lot at T1, the tunnel nearest to the ocean) over to Corral Canyon. This is really a pretty trail. Again, there's a bit of climbing - some pretty tough climbs, though they are relatively short - and it's a bit more technical.

And then finally there are a lot of options around Cheeseboro Canyon. You can go straight up and back down Cheeseboro Canyon, or make it a loop by going over to the adjacent Palo Comado Canyon. Lots and lots of different routes with different difficulties and lengths.

That should give you some good options!

Members who have read this thread: 0