Help a confused soul: Can Diggle v Highline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Help a confused soul: Can Diggle v Highline

Hey all,

I must admit, I never thought I would be posting in this forum, let alone starting a thread about possibly getting a Turner Anyway,

Background info:

I'm currently on a Canfield Can Diggle, medium, build up fairly decent (66 RC3, Codes, Hopes/Syncros DPS32, Saint cranks, PUSHed ROCO).

I went from a Transition Blindside, large (888 WC, ROCO, Hadlyes/Pimps, Codes) to the Diggle in search of a "lighter, more pedal friendly" bike, as in the fall I'm moving up to Bellingham, WA to attend college.

The Diggle has been awesome, feels agile, but can still hold it's own on the mountain (I work at Northstar at Tahoe for the summer).

But for whatever reason, a couple things have "erked?" me about the Diggle. Put bluntly, it just doesn't feel as stable under me, as say the Blindside (obviously). I don't expect it to be as stable/stiff as the Blindside given the weight difference (Diggle comes in at 8.91# w/ coil shock).

Also, on descents, I always feel like I'm getting pushed to the front of the bike, over my handlebars. Before and after I got my shock PUSHed it did this. I tried switching from a low rise bar to a hgher rise bar, but still no luck.

My guess is the top tube length, coming in at 22.5, where as the Blindside was 23.6....

I think I would rather have a longer cockpit and a sturdier frame, over a shorter more agile frame...

So.....

I'm looking at a Highline. Obviously it's heavier, but I assume it will be stiffer, and I would make sure to get a longer frame (medium or large will be decided later). I would switch all my parts over, with the exception of a finding some 83mm cranks and a 150mm rear wheel.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?

Bikes Rule
    The Highline is by far the best "big bike" FR bike I have ever owned. Period. And that was after only 1 ride on it. I have ridden a ton of different frames from different companies and this bike is hands down the best yet.

I only have 1 ride on it as I was building another bike and needed time to finish. Now that it is done I can focus back to he HL. I wanted to build a smaller bike than my Gran Mal. I looked around at geometries and came across the HL which matched up to my 12 x 150 rear/83mm BB requirements.

After building it up it just looked perfect. Everything about the geometry was spot on even before I rode it. The 1st ride was amazing. It actually came out to 39lbs with a coil Totem, coil DHX, bombproof wheels and Saint cranks. That is LIGHT considering all that weight in parts. It was lighter than the GM and about 2 inches shorter wheelbase, which was the goal.

The bike simply feels like 8" of travel with just the 7.1" set-up. It is stiff on decents and the suspension is so plush it is scary. It is nimble, flickable and yet so solid. Get one and you will not be dissappointed.

On a side note, I am not a fan of the looks of Canfields. They may ride awesome, but I don't like the looks at all.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Hey all,

I must admit, I never thought I would be posting in this forum, let alone starting a thread about possibly getting a Turner Anyway,

Background info:

I'm currently on a Canfield Can Diggle, medium, build up fairly decent (66 RC3, Codes, Hopes/Syncros DPS32, Saint cranks, PUSHed ROCO).

I went from a Transition Blindside, large (888 WC, ROCO, Hadlyes/Pimps, Codes) to the Diggle in search of a "lighter, more pedal friendly" bike, as in the fall I'm moving up to Bellingham, WA to attend college.

The Diggle has been awesome, feels agile, but can still hold it's own on the mountain (I work at Northstar at Tahoe for the summer).

But for whatever reason, a couple things have "erked?" me about the Diggle. Put bluntly, it just doesn't feel as stable under me, as say the Blindside (obviously). I don't expect it to be as stable/stiff as the Blindside given the weight difference (Diggle comes in at 8.91# w/ coil shock).

Also, on descents, I always feel like I'm getting pushed to the front of the bike, over my handlebars. Before and after I got my shock PUSHed it did this. I tried switching from a low rise bar to a hgher rise bar, but still no luck.

My guess is the top tube length, coming in at 22.5, where as the Blindside was 23.6....

I think I would rather have a longer cockpit and a sturdier frame, over a shorter more agile frame...

So.....

I'm looking at a Highline. Obviously it's heavier, but I assume it will be stiffer, and I would make sure to get a longer frame (medium or large will be decided later). I would switch all my parts over, with the exception of a finding some 83mm cranks and a 150mm rear wheel.

A friend has just started bringing in Canfield I think hes doing a Diggle for himself can't remember the numbers, geo wise but that might be more your issue than anything esspecially concerning comparisons to a Blindside, Diggle is more FR/Jedi is more comparable to the Blindside as is the DHR the HL more inline with the Diggle so check the numbers, that said the HL speaks for it self here and Ive not heard those comments re an Highline, still I'd be looking a that first! Just some thoughts, good time to jump on an HL also! Canfields look pretty rad! another freind is rocking the Jedi and he reckons its the best bike hes ever been on and hes a true Bikewhore
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i dunno but i can diggle fo's mom... not that i would mind ya... but for $5 i could.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    Now I know I still haven't met any of you, but I think the proper response to CC's comment is:

I can diggle Fo's Mom for $4.....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    that said the HL speaks for it self here
    This makes me laugh, in an odd sort of way. Surely if the HL spoke for itself, it would still be being manufactured and would feature in the Turner line up in the future... Would it not ?

And for the record, the HL is or was the Hottest looking Turner frame made in my opinion....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Time flies...
    ...funny, she paid me $11.31 (all she had) to get diggled....

...every day sends future to past...

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i dunno but i can diggle fo's mom... not that i would mind ya... but for $5 i could.
    I think after the amount of times you all had Fo's mom I'll pass not much left there me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    This makes me laugh, in an odd sort of way. Surely if the HL spoke for itself, it would still be being manufactured and would feature in the Turner line up in the future... Would it not ?

And for the record, the HL is or was the Hottest looking Turner frame made in my opinion....
    You big tease!

I can only go on what the Homer crowd say here bro and rarely read anything bad about her, seems like shes the winner to me, XC her one day, spanks 29ers in a bikestand, jumps tall building in a single bound DHs at lunch time, picks up all the hawt chicks in Whistler!

Can't figure it myself, still Im not one to question why I just fight and die qoute Homer or is that stewie

Everything changes its the only thing that stays the same!

The HL will live on

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hisforever
    Matt, its too bad 'el poseurs' have given you a bad idea/taste about the Turners and this forum. If you do decide a Highline and get to know the team behind Turnerbikes, you will know.

about the highline, its a great bike all around. You will notice instantly how comfortable you are on it.! plenty of R&D went into the frame. blows the gran mal away in 'suspension and handling feel'

had a chance at interbike recently, rode tons of bikes instead of partying. the conclusion was the highline was a bada$$ bike over all the others in its respective class. it really left me wanting to compare the dhr to the others.

all your parts are solid, so thats an easy change over from the can diggle.
    you cant go wrong with a highline, i can say that much

fried stuff with cheese
    I actually pulled the trigger on a blindside but then when I found out I could get the Highline for around the same money I switched over. Haven't looked back. I love the bike. It just feel super stable and solid. In my first ride with it I was hitting stuff that I never hit on my RFX. The bike just laughed at it. Since then I've taken it to Highland Mtn in NH a couple of times and again both times I was able to step up to bigger stuff than I ever thought I could. What I really dig is how after getting stuff locked down on the Highline I can then go back and feel ok hitting on my RFX. The Highline are my training wheels. We have a drop here in our local stash that I hit a couple of years ago on my 06 RFX (built up pretty burly) and I did fine on it but it still scared the hell out of me. Didn't hit it the rest of that season and even last season. (This is a drop I have to ride by every time I ride this trail) A couple of days ago I went in with the Highline and after one practice run to see how the bike would feel I just went at it. The bike literally just laughed at the drop (and me).

Funny, I'm thinking the big thing that kept a lot of people from buying the bike was the price. Once the price went down we now see all these people jumping on the Highline train. The more people that ride it the more the word gets spread. It is too bad it's going away. The only thing about it that I disagree with a lot of people around here is that it's a good climbing bike. WTF? This thing isn't meant to climb....I mean I guess it will and I have climbed stuff with it but...come on. It's not a good climbing bike. Maybe it's better at it than others in it's class but that's like arguing about what rear wheel drive supercar handles best in the snow.

Oh yeah, Can-Diggle. I thought about one of those too but decided that it was too all mtn for what I wanted my new bike to be.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    I can diggle Fo's Mom for $4.
    what, you have a frequent ..... ummmm.... flyers card or somethin, or are ya just tryin to 1-up me?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Committed
    Hey all,

Background info:

So.....

Matt,

I'm up at N* all the time and have a med Highline. I'd be happy to let you take it for a few runs and see what you think of the bike for yourself.
    PM me and we can work out a time to meet up.

Trophy Husband
    For Bellingham this is a tough call. Yes, the Highline will be stiffer. It will also be a bit less manuverable (although it handles quite well). The local legal riding area (Galbraith Mtn) will be more fun on the Can-Diggle. Galbraith stunts are relatively small and new trails are being built with more speed and flow in mind...less old school drops to flat.

FWIW, the newer local "secret" trails are more flow oriented as well. It seems that most builders around here ride Bottlerockets and Reigns, so the trails tend to reflect those type bikes (read: flow, burms, gaps with bmx style faced jumps). IMO, a smaller more agile bike would be better...especially if the rider has some skills.

On the other hand, the HL would be fun too, just maybe a bit more work on those trails...although, the Highlines stiffness and stability will be better suited on the Shore and Whistler.

So, in the end I think you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do. Both bikes will be tons of fun.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    what, you have a frequent ..... ummmm.... flyers card or somethin, or are ya just tryin to 1-up me?

Have you guys never seen Name that Tune? Guess it went right over everybody's head...moving on....

Get the HL. Best freeride bike I've ever been on and am currently saving up to get one.

1Soul- I'll keep an eye out for you as I'm at N* frequently as well. I'm the guy on the 5 spot with the CCDB and my buddy is on a black HL.

oh! i get it now!

diggle that mom!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Matt, mine's getting built up at the moment; I may even have it up at the Star this weekend (and/or next). If you see me (HL is raw colored; medium sized, red CK hubs), just holler!

Not sure about the stock levels on these, but seeing how fast they seem to be selling, you may need to act fairly soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G

Not sure about the stock levels on these, but seeing how fast they seem to be selling, you may need to act fairly soon!
    ditto obviously. when i ordered mine about two weeks ago, i got on of the last 3 08 larges. what size do you need/want again matt?
    Last edited by rscecil007; 08-14-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

"Its All Good"
    These Highlines are going to be like extinct treasures...............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

trail fairy
    These Highlines are going to be like extinct treasures...............
    Guess well have to see what happens in 09, till then anything could happen, life's like a box of chocolates ya never know what ya gonna get to ya open it

I'd still buy a Highline though!

Here's some numbers interesting

HL
    Travel 7.1inches 8 wiith alternative shock i2i
    HA - 66.5deg
    SA - 72.5deg
    CS 17.3 in
    BB - 14.4in
    TT in a Med - 22.75in
    WB - 46
    A2C 568mm not sure what fork assume 180mm so HA could be steeper on Diggle on said fork!

Diggle -
    TRAVEL 7 -8 inches
    HA - 65.5deg
    SA - deg can't locate it
    CS - 17.5in
    BB - 14.6in with 2.5in tires (different brands um)
    TT in a Med - in 22.50
    WB - 45.48
    A2C with boxxer or F40 570

A few things there based on numbers which I could see might give you your impressions of the Diggle, HL may be more inline Geo wise with what your after!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Guess well have to see what happens in 09, till then anything could happen, life's like a box of chocolates ya never know what ya gonna get to ya open it
    Well that is a good motto for life, very true, but on this occasion do not think it rings true for the Turner HighLine........ R.I.P Turner HighLine........

trail fairy
    Well that is a good motto for life, very true, but on this occasion do not think it rings true for the Turner HighLine........ R.I.P Turner HighLine........
    well leaves the opportunity for a comebacks and comebacks rule, the RFX made a comeback if only in name! HL will live on VIVE LA HL..

sheesh I don';t even have one, tis one of the best looking bike around though

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    well leaves the opportunity for a comebacks and comebacks rule, the RFX made a comeback if only in name! HL will live on VIVE LA HL..

sheesh I don';t even have one, tis one of the best looking bike around though
    Give it up Bro,,,, it is called acceptance........

R.I.P the Beautiful Highline..............

trail fairy
    Give it up Bro,,,, it is called acceptance........ R.I.P the Beautiful Highline..............
    I never give up, acceptance is ages ago with LnP

No Retreat no Surrender, HL lives in the Freeride halls of Vallhalla

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    I never give up, acceptance is ages ago with LnP

No Retreat no Surrender, HL lives in the Freeride halls of Vallhalla
    Bro: You need to empty your billies........ A lot of hand on cock talk going on re this.....

trail fairy
    OK thread dreail
    Bro: You need to empty your billies........ A lot of hand on cock talk going on re this.....
    Stones and glass houses bro

thread derail

poor guy gonna wonder whats all the Diggle's about, and he hasn't even been to Fo's mom's house yet

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Sorry MattP, wasnt intentional to derail your thread on the Diggle vrs the HighLine....

Its all good.....

Homer's problem child

I'd still buy a Highline though!

Here's some numbers interesting

HL
    Travel 7.1inches 8 wiith alternative shock i2i
    HA - 66.5deg
    SA - 72.5deg
    CS 17.3 in
    BB - 14.4in
    TT in a Med - 22.75in
    WB - 46
    A2C 568mm not sure what fork assume 180mm so HA could be steeper on Diggle on said fork!

Diggle -
    TRAVEL 7 -8 inches
    HA - 65.5deg
    SA - deg can't locate it
    CS - 17.5in
    BB - 14.6in with 2.5in tires (different brands um)
    TT in a Med - in 22.50
    WB - 45.48
    A2C with boxxer or F40 570

A few things there based on numbers which I could see might give you your impressions of the Diggle, HL may be more inline Geo wise with what your after!
    I don't know, aside from how the Diggle suspension handles during braking I don't see anything in those numbers that tells me the HL will address any of the issues he has with his Diggle other than going to a Large frame, which may be true with the Diggle too.

In looking at the numbers the HL could be even more problematic due to the steeper HA. I've been meaning to compare the Lucky geometry to the HL. Seem to look very similar just haven't got around to digging out the numbers.

I have a Canfield Lucky and it is pretty neutral during braking (no jack, a little squat, but pretty neutral overall). Not sure how much the Diggle mirrors the Lucky in terms of rear suspension performance. I'm running a 888 RC3 with direct mount stem and low rise Diety dirty 30 bar and an Avy Woodie on my Lucky and am not experiencing anything like the original poster is with his Diggle. The Lucky is built more like the Highline in terms of design (150mm rear wheel, 1.5 HT) strength and weight (and looks even), if anything the Lucky is more burly (heavy) than the HL.

B

P.S. It is fun to type the word "Diggle"
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Trophy Husband
    poor guy gonna wonder whats all the Diggle's about, and he hasn't even been to Fo's mom's house yet
    I think we've all been to Fo's mom's house for a little Diggle.
    Extreme stationary biker.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I think we've all been to Fo's mom's house for a little Diggle.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    All I can add is that I live in Bham and if your going to sell that CanDiggle let me know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a medium Candy Blue! Ordered some Gravity Light cranks to go with, as well as a Ringle/729 rear wheel!

Thanks for everyone's help! Can't wait!

Hisforever
    Congrats on you dude!

Have fun on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Bikes Rule
    Good choice.

Build More = Ride More
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a medium Candy Blue! Ordered some Gravity Light cranks to go with, as well as a Ringle/729 rear wheel!

Thanks for everyone's help! Can't wait!
    Great!

I was just about to reply with how the HL would be a better bike for your choice. Having a full lenght seat tube automatically makes the HL climb better.

You won't be dissapointed. Just make sure to get a roco or better rear shock on there pronto!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Great!

I was just about to reply with how the HL would be a better bike for your choice. Having a full lenght seat tube automatically makes the HL climb better.

You won't be dissapointed. Just make sure to get a roco or better rear shock on there pronto!
    I don't know, after getting my roco PUSHed on my Canfield, I might have to send the DHX over there for some loving as well.

mtbr member
    I don't know, after getting my roco PUSHed on my Canfield, I might have to send the DHX over there for some loving as well.
    I may do the same; after the first ride am still fine tuning. But it's riding harder than I'd like. Great pedaling platform, but bump absorption ain't where I'd like it to be at the moment.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I may do the same; after the first ride am still fine tuning. But it's riding harder than I'd like. Great pedaling platform, but bump absorption ain't where I'd like it to be at the moment.
    The great thing about the Highline is that is doesn't really pedal any worse without a platform or proppedal shock.

Have a Roco WC on mine and it pedals great in and out of the saddle. Totally blows away my last Maestro bike when pounding out of the saddle.

Members who have read this thread: 0