Headset woes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Headset woes

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

Headset woes

Howdy,

I picked up a lightly (allegedly) used '08 Spot a couple months ago and built it up with a new OEM take-off FSA "Kona" headset, new Revelation Maxle Lite, and new Hope Pro2 20mm hub.

Used a home-made h/set press and the cups went in easier than anything I've ever pressed in before. Now it seems like I have a loose headset all the time. I originally thought it was play in the hub, but after buying a repair stand I was able to isolate the various points better and am pretty positive it's all in the headset. Topcap/steerer tube interference is *not* an issue. I still need to take apart the headset again and make sure I didn't inadvertently flip the bearings, but assuming that's OK, I was thinking about installing a King Steelset lower cup and keeping the FSA upper cup.

Anyone know if I will need to have the headtube reamed for the 1" insertion depth of the Steelset? Any other thoughts about possible solutions?

Thanks

I think I need to Upgrade
    Before you drop the money into a Steelset try another headset that can be removed. One thing about the Steelset is once it is installed it is usualy in there for good (not sure why but that is what I have read and been told). Take your frame into a shop and have them remove the headset and measure the I.D. of the head tube to make sure it is not ovalized and measure the headset thst is in there to see if that is in spec and not under sized.

mtbr member
    I've had an assortment of FSA headsets in my time, and they've all been at the "slightly small" end of the tolerance scale. If your head tube happens to be even fractionally baggy, then it most likely is a hand push fit. I've also had 2 FSA Orbit Extremes where the sealed cartridge bearing became loose in the cup after some hard riding.

Loctite do a "bearing lock" which is used for seating bearings into sloppy housings, which is one answer, or if it's not too bad Loctite 270 (Studlock) works pretty well too.

Bodgey, but cheaper than a new headset....

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

update

Frame and cups check out OK, went to wipe down the crown race and it spun around! I'm gonna shim it with a strip of aluminum can. Thanks for the ideas

mtbr member
    or just get a new race... they're relatively inexpensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0