Happy birthday to me!- Mtbr.com
    Now with 3 more inches!

Happy birthday to me!

Been a very hard year - too much work , renovating an old house and a new arrival in January . My wife decided we needed to take a road trip and booked us into a cabin just outside Asheville.

The burner had been collecting dust for the last 9 months and I was worried about my ride fitness. August 4th was my birthday and we stopped in at Liberty Cycles, drooled over the Sultan frame and got some great ride suggestions from Scott there. Wanted to ease into it and we headed over to Bent Creek so Brooke and Stella could swim in the lake and I could blow the cobwebs off my legs.

Well, after such a long time off the bike the first 20 minutes were really hard. Did a couple of loops of the easier trails and was really surprised at how quickly I got back in the swing of things. Weather was pretty hot but cooler than back in NOLA. Back to the cabin for a shower then into town to sample the local Highland and French Broad brews. Great birthday.

Next day I decided to tackle the north side of Bent Creek. Climbed up the boundary trail to Green's Lick. Worst part of being out of the saddle for so long? Second day back in the saddle! Ouch! Green's Lick must be one of the most fun sections I can remember riding. Shame it's over so fast. Really great trail. Back up SideHill to 5-points (correct me on names if I'm wrong), then zig-zagging back down some great trails to meet the ladies at the arboretum.

Took a couple of days to go see an old friend from England who now lives in Hickory. Rode around the trails on his property and he tried out the Burner while I tried a 4-wheeler for the first time.

Back to Asheville and time for one more ride. Went to the Mills River area and tackled Laurel Mtn / Pilot Rock. Apparently day 3 back in the saddle hurts the arse even more than day 2. Beautiful singletrack climb with some tricky root and rock sections. Last section gets really steep and my legs were suffering. On to the Pilot Rock trail. Holy sh!t! One very fun, scary, technical descent. Fell negotiating one of the rocky switchbacks and got some nasty bruises and scrapes on my right leg. Still hurts now. Really enjoyed this trail but it made me think I'd rather ride it with somebody else there (and some shin guards).

On the way back stopped at Oak Mountain for an early morning blast. Who'd have thought August in Alabama could be cool! I've ridden here before and it's a really fun loop. Seemed like I was doing it the opposite way to everyone else. Don't understand why they'd rather come down the fire road and up the rock garden though.

Things that continue to impress me:

My Burner frame. I'm so comfortable on this bike, it's handling is really balanced and it constantly gives me the confidence to try things that I'm too old and under-insured to attempt.

My old XT drivetrain. Sat in a dusty room for months, no maintenance. Lubed it all up, a click of the barrel adjuster and everything worked flawlessly.

My Magura Louise Brakes. Awesome power, great modulation. No maintenance. No noise.

Espresso HammerGel. Mmmmm.

Was interesting to ride alone too. The solitude was very calming and therapeutic after such a stressful year. The downside is not having the cameraderie of sharing such awesome trails with friends (and having someone to pick you up when it goes wrong).

Very surprised with how quickly I got into the swing of things and how much better my fitness level was than I'd previously thought. Promised myself I'd get out and ride more regularly and am planning a couple of epic trips already. Of course some new toys are always a good incentive to ride...

Bike to the Bone...
    Hey, nice to read from you here! Nice about your b-day!

You'll most likely love the Revelation and new wheels!

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hey, nice to read from you here! Nice about your b-day!

You'll most likely love the Revelation and new wheels!
    Just one wheel so far. Back is coming later. Going with a Hope Front / King Rear set up on these wheels. I'm going to get my old King hubs laced to some new rims sometime too.

Looking forward to trying the Revelation.

not so super...
    Nice pics. You pretty much rode what the group did at HIP this spring.
    Nothing to see here.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Nice pics. You pretty much rode what the group did at HIP this spring.
    Feel like I just scratched the surface of what's there. Looking forward to checking out some more stuff next time. Have you ridden Dupont?

not so super...
    I've been there a handful of times. There are some fun routes there but I really prefer the trails like Laurel MTN. Check out the Squirrel gap, Kitsuma or Heartbreak ridge trails next time, but find someone to go with you.
    Nothing to see here.

My cup runneth over
    Waay better pics of the trails than what SSinga has ever produced . Great looking trails - bits of everything there.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Waay better pics of the trails than what SSinga has ever produced . Great looking trails - bits of everything there.
    I was really impressed with the variety of trails available in such a small area. Something for everyone. There's also obviously been a lot of hard work gone into them from dedicated, passionate people.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac

I blame the camera and the ugly doods I had to photograph!
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Great report. That baby of yours is the cutest!

"El Whatever"
    Hey, Tiger!!

Great report... Those trails look awesome. Great fun with all the rocks, roots and berms. Dang, that's the stoke I was needing.

I never thought I'd be happy to see your ugly face again at least in a picture, but I did. Take good care of those cuties!!!

BTW... I want exactly the same combo of hubs you'll be rocking... Hope Pro II front, King rear. Someday. But just stouter rims... Even at 140#, I manage to mangle rims with my poor riding skills.

Great, great report!! I'm jealous!

(and happy belated b-day!)
    Check my Site

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    just got home from a ride, saw this and got pumped all over again. nice work man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Awesome report. Tigerdog!

Happy belated b'day!

Take good care of those girls of yours!

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    BTW... I want exactly the same combo of hubs you'll be rocking... Hope Pro II front, King rear. Someday. But just stouter rims... Even at 140#, I manage to mangle rims with my poor riding skills.
    I went with the 4.2 and comp spokes because Chad seemed to think if I'd got 4 years out of the 4.1 rims (and they're still in pretty good shape) then I should be OK. I'm pretty convinced that a good wheel builder is the most important factor to the life of a wheel.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I blame the camera and the ugly doods I had to photograph!
    haha. You guys have great trails, enjoy.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Great pics and fun trails!
    I haven't made it all the way to Pilot but Laurel is a blast. Green's Lick is Green's Lick!

I've got a set of 5.1's on Hope Pro II front/Hadley rear from Chad on my Spot. He's working on a set of 29er Flows on the same hub selection this week. Nice goods
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Great pics and write up.

I have to be in asheville at the end of September on business and plan on taking my 5Spot. I haven't been so the info you provided is very helpful. Greens Lick and Pilot Rock look like must do's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Great write up! I miss Oak Mtn - haven been over that way in many years.

You'll enjoy the Rev - I've had mine on 2 bikes now, and I think it works better on my Flux than it did on the hardtail. Great fork.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    Great pics and write up.

I have to be in asheville at the end of September on business and plan on taking my 5Spot. I haven't been so the info you provided is very helpful. Greens Lick and Pilot Rock look like must do's.
    The "Off The Beaten Track - Western NC Pisgah" ride book is really good, so is the Bent Creek map. Should have them both at the bike stores in the Asheville area.

Members who have read this thread: 0