mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hammerschmidt'd Highline

Just finished my Highline build with the AM Hammerschmidt. What a slick device. It is very cool to feel almost instant shifts as well as seeing all of the clearance around the BB. From the ground to the bottom of the Hammerschmidt it is exactly 12" and to the center of the spindle is 14.3" so you only lose 2.3"!

The photos aren't great but you can kind of get the idea.

Ryan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sweet!

Big Test Icycles
    May be a dumb question, but I take it you can't run a chain guide with the Hammerschmidt yet, or do you even need one with the extra clearance. Looks good.

mtbr member
    Why would you need a chain guide? It is a single ring with planetary gears. Take a look at the Hammerschmidt site (SRAM) and you will understand....

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quality bike Ryan, I bet thats a blast to ride.

BTW Does the BB need facing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This isnt the "correct" answer. I know it should be but none of the shops in the area had the special tools needed to do it. I measured the tab offset, and used spacers..... It works but is not the right way to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    Quality bike Ryan, I bet thats a blast to ride.

BTW Does the BB need facing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryana
    This isnt the "correct" answer. I know it should be but none of the shops in the area had the special tools needed to do it. I measured the tab offset, and used spacers..... It works but is not the right way to do it!
    You might want to rethink this...I predict you will have issues down the road if not setup properly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow, very clean lines and I really like the color on the front triangle!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Why would you need a chain guide? It is a single ring with planetary gears. Take a look at the Hammerschmidt site (SRAM) and you will understand....

Cheers

Buzz
    I think, to be more specific, it doesn't need a chain guide because the ring is sandwiched between two plates and the chain is managed with a mini guide on top. So it's crank, gears, ring, and guide all in one.

Pink bike says:

Ultimate Chain Management with one single ring and a constant chainline. Makes it much easier to use the full range of gears in the back. The chain is encapsulated between the collar assembly, Mechanism assembly and top chainguide slider, so itís not going anywhere.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Why the AM and not the FR version?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I looked at both, there is already a weight penalty for the HS, and really all you gain in the FR version is heavier arms, sure it is a gamble, but these look and feel very tough. I don't see anyone, under normal freering conditions breaking even the AM HS. I would expect that the BB aren't going to be long lasting items though.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Last edited by scottryana; 02-14-2009 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Because people race DH on XTR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't see anyone, under normal freeriding conditions breaking even the AM HS.

Ryan
    "normal freeriding conditions" is an awfully broad stroke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Dusty you are right, I suppose I should have said that I don't think I will see anyone that I ride with, breaking the AM, cranks. Nothing is unbreakable, and I am sure some huge huckers will even test the FR version, but they are pretty solidly built!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    "normal freeriding conditions" is an awfully broad stroke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well I have finally been able to get a couple of quick rides in. I am very impressed with the Highline and the Hammerschmidt!! I think I will bump up the rear spring rate but other than that I have been really happy so far!

The Hammerschmidt does exactly what it says, if does a good job of retaining the chain, and provides crisp shifts! I do have a little rub on the chain guide as on the small side of the cassette, but nothing I can't live with.

Ryan.
    Last edited by scottryana; 02-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Team Sanchez
    I have been riding my Highline with a HammerScchmidt for a couple of weeks now and I really like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just an update.

The Hammerschmidt on the Highline is awesome. I really think it is perfect for this bike. I am not sold on it for an XC bike, but I think for a heavier trail or freeride bike it is almost perfect. I have noticed a couple of things that are advertised but aren't 100% true. You can not shift under 100% load, just like any shifting system I think it is better to let off a little before you shift. I know if I am climbing hard and try to shift I can get a "bang" nothing bad, but noticeable. Second there is noticeable drag and noise associated with the planetary gears. It isn't all the time and I am still waiting for the gears to break in and quiet down but it seems apparent to me. It could just be the noise that makes me think there is more drag.... I have yet to drop a chain or even had any chain retention issues. The guide and the fact that it is sandwiched between 2 plates, and I am running a short derailleur, makes it very solid.

All in all great system, I would definitely recommend it!

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Nice looking XC bike there with the raised seat and Fox40

Surfin' da mountain
    How about chain noise?

Using the short derailer and guiding of the HS, is there less chain slap?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Haha, gotta ride something until Mountain High gets me my DW Flux. lol.

Nice looking XC bike there with the raised seat and Fox40

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Not to derail your thread...But is this the same Scott that used to post on on a certain Toyota forum? If it is, whatever happened to the 55 you were building up, it was hands down the best looking one I have ever seen.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep same guy! haha

I was building that '71 FJ55 and had it already to go, but decided that living in DC it was just way to impractical, not to mention it wouldn't have fit in my garage. LOL.

I sold it to a really great guy that drove down from Chicago area and trailered it home. I am sure he gave it a good home. I would love to buy it back from him at some point though. That was 3 years of hard work.

Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    Not to derail your thread...But is this the same Scott that used to post on on a certain Toyota forum? If it is, whatever happened to the 55 you were building up, it was hands down the best looking one I have ever seen.

Yay! Bikes !
    nice looking bike!
    FWIW, I demo'd a bike with the HS setup and I was able to shift under 100% load while climbing. I wonder whats up with yours.

???

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Yep same guy! haha

That was 3 years of hard work.

Ryan.
    No kidding! I followed that build and couldn't believe the attention to detail you were putting into it. Sorry you had to let it go, maybe one day again...
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

mtbr member
    Derailing here, Is that a 1upusa quick bike rack? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes it is a 1upUSA rack. I love it! It is very solid, simple, nothing touches anything onthe bike but the tires. I have hade several bikes from 24" dirt jumpers to road bikes to my Highline it it and it works great on all of them. I do wish it had a locking hitch pin in addition to the expanding ball that they use but all in all very solid and a nice light weight.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    Derailing here, Is that a 1upusa quick bike rack? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Cool, that anti theft modified alen wrench isn't much security to me. But hey, they say they'll replace the rack for free if it gets stolen.
    Back to the HS, I'm guessing you're not having any problems with the cable line sticking out on the bottom.
    Nice bike and rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No problems with the cable. It is hard to tell in the last picture but I have ziptied it a little higher. It comes out right off the backside of the crank and then runs right up to the side of the downtube. I think that it gives the impression that it really sticks out because the overall size of the cranks are so small. I have been grinding the cranks over some rocks and logs and they are holding up well as well. I had some scuffs and a couple spots I smoothed out with a flat file after a run in with a big rock, but holding up well

Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    Cool, that anti theft modified alen wrench isn't much security to me. But hey, they say they'll replace the rack for free if it gets stolen.
    Back to the HS, I'm guessing you're not having any problems with the cable line sticking out on the bottom.
    Nice bike and rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very little chain slap, I can see it rubbing across the lizard skins, but mostly just because of the chain lube on them, no real chain noise at all. The only real noise I hear is from the springs inside the Fox 40 banging the stantions.

Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    How about chain noise?

Using the short derailer and guiding of the HS, is there less chain slap?

Members who have read this thread: 0