Thread: Hadley/819

tg
    mtbr member

Hadley/819

Any Turner riders rollin these? I went with the 10mm TA for the rear and a QR front for now. How do Hadley peps like em? .Any issues? likes dislikes. I just put them on the 5 spot today so no ride time yet. I sold some I9s with the intent to build a 29er over the winter but aborted it in favor of keeping the 5 spot. ( I could not let her go ) The I9s were sweet but the 10mm rear seems to make a lot of sense. ( side note ) ....I have Hope pro 2s / 819 on my Flux , great race wheelset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hadley/819-cimg0739.jpg  

Hadley/819-cimg0741.jpg  

Hadley/819-cimg0738.jpg  

Hadley/819-cimg0740.jpg  

Last edited by tg; 12-10-2009 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm rolling those as well. I have the 9mm TA on for the front as well. They were built by Larry and have held up great so far (since May). I've had no issues so far. The hubs roll extremely well. Better than my Hopes. Also not as loud as the Hopes either. The extra engagement points are welcome as well. I haven't run the hubs with the standard QR so I cannot comment to any improvements made by the axles.

The only potential ding I can give the hub is sealing. The freehub hub lube was washed away on one extremely wet ride (running water on the trail). No harm was done and they were as good as new when cleaned and re-greased, which is easy to do. My Hope hubs never took on water like this but it rained hard for the entire ride and the ride bike home with bike on the rack so I don't know if this would have occurred with other hubs. I have heard that the hubs require more frequent service than other hubs so this could have been expected. I haven't touched them since though. To make life easier, I picked up the 2 wrenches for the hubs from Hadley for a couple bucks and they also threw in some grease and oil for the freehub. Actually gonna crack them open soon for service. I really wouldn't call this is a negative as they are racing hubs and I expected the seals to be less than perfect. I've had them in normal rain and creek crossings and they have been fine.

As for the rims, they're great. I'm running 2.25 Fat Albert USTs and have had no problems at all. No burps or sealing issues. No dents and they are running true as ever. I'm certain Larry's build had something to do with that!

Did I mention that the hubs roll really well?

mtbr member

nice!

Same set up I am running, but with the 20 mm front hub. I had them built by Larry at Mtnhigh Cyclery a few years ago. They have been awesome. Larry builds a very solid wheel.

Sometimes I think about getting new wheels, but then I ask myself 'what would I change?' Nothing. Easy to service, strong enough for AM, tubeless, light enough and they keep rolling.

You will be very stoked with these wheels.

TG

mtbr member
    Looks like the rear tire is installed on a wrong direction.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT-Spot
    Looks like the rear tire is installed on a wrong direction.
    I think it rides and climbs better in that direction. Looks wrong I know but it works great on our trails.

spr
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

what is the weight of this set ?

thx

mtbr member
    I do mount my nevegal rear tire reverse once it's half worn out...it gives extra bite on the climbs
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn
    I do mount my nevegal rear tire reverse once it's half worn out...it gives extra bite on the climbs
    Hey, I'll try that! Thanks Bullit-cn (Manny)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got some hadley-flow wheels which I was using with the 9mm axle up front for a while. I have the 10mm rear TA, no complaints there. The through axle is light and seems stiff. Freehub engagement is great. Now I've changed to a 20mm TA in the front, my only problem is the 20mm spacers don't attach to the hub, they just hang there on the seals so they tend to fall off when the wheel is off the fork. Not that big a deal but if I had a rack where I had to take the wheel off all the time it would bug me.

i can't type the letter s
    I don't have the 819 wheels but I've been a Hadley fanboi since 2004. They are on both my bikes; 20mm front, 10mm TA rear. I think Hadley has the best balance between price and quality.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spr
    thx
    Dont know Dont care.

mtbr member
    May 2006

hadleys w/ 819s

i have been running this setup for almost 3 years w/no issues. rear bearings went once,hadley replaced under warranty. going to the 9mm ta helps front end stiffness. easy to maintain, too. rims are tough as well. simple to use w/ust or stans conversions. enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was running a 10mm/20mm Hadley 819 wheelset for awhile, then went to a Hope 20mm, 823 front wheel.
    I just got a set of Stans ZTR Flow rims on Hope Pro II hubs, not alot of ride time on them yet, though.

The old style Hadley 20mm hub, 819 rim and proper longer brass nipples weighed 980g
    I did not weigh the rear Hadley wheel but I'm guessing it's around 1100g or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I use 20mm front and 72 point rear,also own a set of Chris Kings,hands down the Hadley rocks overall on Kings.Kings lack the durability and ease of maintenance.Hadley's is super quick engagement you really appreciate it in extreme tech sections.

Build More = Ride More
    Where are people finding Hadley hubs right now? I've been waiting on some for over 4 weeks!

Not a single one in black to be found on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Where are people finding Hadley hubs right now? I've been waiting on some for over 4 weeks!

How many holes? Jenson has a 36 hole rear in black, Universal has a 36 hole front 20mm in black. Go-Ride doesn't advertise stock, but I'd give them a call, they usually have quite a bit of Hadley stuff.

As to the original topic, I have a set of Hadleys that are ~3 years old at this point in time. Other than changing the bearings in the body once and doing the overhaul kit 1.5 years ago for peace of mind they have been flawless. I am running the 10mm Ti bolt on in the back and it is a stiff, bombproof set up. In the process of building up a Hadley SS 108pt rear hub, mmm...

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn

Hadley has been out but they're expecting to have a some more done this week.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member

Weight?

Hi Larry,
    Do you have weights for this wheelset?
    Hadleys/819 with Competition spokes and alloy nipples.

Thanks,
    TIM

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Hadley has been out but they're expecting to have a some more done this week.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    I was running a 10mm/20mm Hadley 819 wheelset for awhile, then went to a Hope 20mm, 823 front wheel.
    I just got a set of Stans ZTR Flow rims on Hope Pro II hubs, not alot of ride time on them yet, though.

The old style Hadley 20mm hub, 819 rim and proper longer brass nipples weighed 980g
    I did not weigh the rear Hadley wheel but I'm guessing it's around 1100g or so.
    Why did you go from the Hadley to the Hope, and how did the the Hope compare with the Hadley?

mtbr member
    Just plugging my ad in the Classifieds- i have set on sale there on DT swiss 5.1D
    "Nice bike...Take it off any sweet jumps?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DFCall
    Why did you go from the Hadley to the Hope, and how did the the Hope compare with the Hadley?
    The big reason was price of the wheelset. I was already considering a Hope/Flows wheelset, and Chain Reaction Cycles sells Hope hand-built "Hope Hoops" wheelsets.
    The wheelset shipped to my door was $388.16
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40780

The next reason was weight. My 819/823 Hadley rear, Hope front was close to 2400g and DH bombproof. I wanted a lighter trail/AM wheelset in addition to this set.
    The Hope/Flows are 1800-1900g (I have not weighed my personal set yet.)

Eventually I want to pick up a set of Roval Traverse wheels. This is a similar width and strength wheelset that weighs under 1600g
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9303&eid=5099

As to the Hope/Hadley hubs. I like both the rear hubs equally. They are both super easy to service, and very versatile, I've set up the rears as QR, 10mm thru, and 12mm thru. As to the engagement speed, it's noticeable if you go from one wheel right to the other, and very slight, but after a few minutes riding I don't notice it anymore. And yes, I do ride/ratchet through rock gardens, and pedal kick off ledges.
    The Hadley weighs about 100g more that the Hope.

I prefer the Hope front 20mm I've only used the old style Hadley. Mine seemed to have a fair amount of drag, but it may have just been my hub.

All this info is from 5 years of riding on a Giant Reign, and I'm in the process of building a 2010 Reign X right as we speak. Been mountain biking since 1989.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    The I9s were sweet but the 10mm rear seems to make a lot of sense.
    It's my understanding that you can get a 10mm conversion kit for I9. I've been planning on doing the upgrade for awhile but have never got around to it.

From what I've heard about Hadleys is that once they are on your bike you simply forget that they are there, which is good.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    The big reason was price of the wheelset. I was already considering a Hope/Flows wheelset, and Chain Reaction Cycles sells Hope hand-built "Hope Hoops" wheelsets.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40780
    Have been considering getting the Flow/Hope set too but they never seem to be in stock at CRC. Did you have to take a chance and order when out of stock? Have you had a chance to ride 'em yet? Seem like a well built wheelset?

Also considering the DT 5.1/Hope set too as they seem to be regularly in stock and I think a little bit cheaper.

Anyone else bought wheelsets from CRC please chime in with your experience too

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=deoreo]The big reason was price of the wheelset. I was already considering a Hope/Flows wheelset, and Chain Reaction Cycles sells Hope hand-built "Hope Hoops" wheelsets.

I have been looking at the hope/819 wheels from Chain Reaction, great price, but I am still evaluating the hope engagement issue. I struggled riding/ratcheting through the technical areas, old bike, my skills, or hubs? I am new to FS biking, and need to spend some time riding some good wheels without breaking the budget what are your thoughts on a Hope/front with the new 36 engagement xt/rear from Chain Reaction.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Have been considering getting the Flow/Hope set too but they never seem to be in stock at CRC. Did you have to take a chance and order when out of stock? Have you had a chance to ride 'em yet? Seem like a well built wheelset?
    You know, when I ordered mine, they were in stock, I never really gave it much thought as these are for my new build. No real time frame for it, except to be built over the winter. They did arrive quickly, and I had time to try them on my Reign w/tubes for 2 rides maybe 50 miles max.

Out of the box they were round and true, the tension seemed good and even. On par with other hand built wheelsets I have.
    On the rides, they didnt fold in half or anything But I don't have enough time on 'em to form a real opinion on the Flows, or build (I've used the Hope hubs before) I don't forsee any problems though.
    I've since swapped in a 12mm axle in the back for the new frame, and set-up the yellow tape to run tubeless.

I've bought stuff from CRC many times, no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DFCall
    I have been looking at the hope/819 wheels from Chain Reaction, great price, but I am still evaluating the hope engagement issue. I struggled riding/ratcheting through the technical areas, old bike, my skills, or hubs? I am new to FS biking, and need to spend some time riding some good wheels without breaking the budget what are your thoughts on a Hope/front with the new 36 engagement xt/rear from Chain Reaction.

Thanks
    The engagement issue is a personal thing for each rider. While I do agree that faster is "better" I personally feel that most people blow it waaaay out of proportion in real world riding.

I LOVE rocky, pedal-y, tech riding with ledges that need "trials" type moves. Even with old-school cheap Shimano hubs (the ones everyone loves to bash) I've never felt like I couldn't manage the section, because my freehub didn't "catch."
    But, that's just me, someone else will claim they can't even ride away from the trailhead, without the "instant" engagement of a King or I9 (don't read too much into that, I like, and have ridden King and I9 hubs, too.)

As to the new XT hub, I don't have much experience with current Shimano hubs/wheels.
    If they work for your frame, they would be fine. One reason I'm not too keen on Shimano hubs is I like to be able to change out rear axles for different frames, so most Shimano stuff is a no-go for me. But Shimano hubs in general, and in bearing quality, are top notch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As to the new XT hub, I don't have much experience with current Shimano hubs/wheels.
    If they work for your frame, they would be fine. One reason I'm not too keen on Shimano hubs is I like to be able to change out rear axles for different frames, so most Shimano stuff is a no-go for me. But Shimano hubs in general, and in bearing quality, are top notch.[/QUOTE]

The xt hubs will fit my frame; however I just need to decide if I want the ability to switch out the hub. Thank you for the information, fun dilemma to work out over the winter.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Hadley hubs rock ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Hadley hubs rock ! TIG.
    Hadley's custom, anodized, hub tools are pretty rad too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hadley/819-hadleytools.jpg  

trail fairy
    Hadley's rock

Um like that Hadley kit too, and that's how simple they are too, service I mean, whip in some enduro bearing or enduro ceramic's whoop whoop

Also ya can upgrade the 10mm ta to a 12mm as well they have kits for this too, so you 142mm spacing dues can go the new RFX std, I sold a set to a mate for his Shova LT 135x 12 mm hes stoked.

3 sets no other hub for me! If it works don't fix what aint broke
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

tg
    mtbr member
    Wow those are sweet.......I want. Where can I get em?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Wow those are sweet.......I want. Where can I get em?
    From Hadley.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Hi Larry,
    Do you have weights for this wheelset?
    Hadleys/819 with Competition spokes and alloy nipples.

Thanks,
    TIM
    Hey Tim. Approx. 1960g if I remember correctly.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    From Hadley.

Yes , got mine directly from Hadley as well ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.

tg
    mtbr member
    Those are flippin sweet. How much $? A little red flag is telling me ...... Will my Hadleys need a lot of TLC or can I ride em and love em as is? I have not done dip to my Hopes after a full summer of riding/racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    tg, I have the 16 mm spanner and 21 mm C wrench for my hubs. They were $9 each direct from Hadley.

Members who have read this thread: 0