Gratidude for DT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Gratidude for DT

Anyone else feeling large doses of thanks n praise to DT....Thank God I ride a Turner!......seeing all these broken Niner frames littered all over the forums I praise the Turner build. Anyone like to tell me I wrong in thinking that Turners are made better than the rest.....do Turners crack like others? ( if so are Homers just loyal, "quietly picking up the phone n dialin home" for a replacement) No I dont think so!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    Anyone else feeling large doses of thanks n praise to DT....Thank God I ride a Turner!......seeing all these broken Niner frames littered all over the forums I praise the Turner build. Anyone like to tell me I wrong in thinking that Turners are made better than the rest.....do Turners crack like others? ( if so are Homers just loyal, "quietly picking up the phone n dialin home" for a replacement) No I dont think so!
    Turners break. Less than other top brands? Perhaps, perhaps not. But the CS is definitely tops when something does go wrong.

not so super...
    they do break and there are plenty of pics to prove it. Remember the early Highlines with the chainstays that cracked? It's how they handle it that makes the difference.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    what niners are breaking the jet 9s or the new rips?

mtbr member
    Something I've wondered about, not flaming at all...

Would Titus and Moots be considered the same quality as Turner? They all come out of the same place in Portland. My 2002 or so Santa Cruz Super Light was made in Portland, at Sapa. Can Titus, Turner, Moots and who ever else is having Sapa build for them specify quality?

I'd be interested to hear the process that Turner and others go through to get a frame built at Sapa.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

banned
    Mar 2009
    Had my 09 spot crack on a ride at 10AM. Called Turner CS and had a new front triangle in my hands by noon. I do have an advantage of living close to their HQ, but anyone would experiance a quick turnaround when/if needed. They may or may not break like others, but Turner stands behind their bike like no one else!

mtbr member
    I so prefer Turner over Santa Cruz..... had some bad bouts with SC previously.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Something I've wondered about, not flaming at all...

Would Titus and Moots be considered the same quality as Turner? They all come out of the same place in Portland. My 2002 or so Santa Cruz Super Light was made in Portland, at Sapa. Can Titus, Turner, Moots and who ever else is having Sapa build for them specify quality?

I'd be interested to hear the process that Turner and others go through to get a frame built at Sapa.
    In my limited experience... and it IS limited... It plays a part but is not the final word. Too many variables go into making a widget.

The factory who does the manuf does play a big part, but it's the brand as well. The brand is the one that dictates the materials, tolerances, and has to do the quality control.

If it's a good factory, and the widgets are spec'd to similar tolerance levels - the products will come out with similar quality. However if the factory tolerance levels are given a bit more room... And even if they are great with one product, does not mean another similar widget will have the same variables.

And that doesn't include the differences between designs too. Something designed a bit more robust does may be a quality widget, while something on the edge will be a widget that will be a permanent black mark on the company. And that's the Truth!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Toby Wong?
    i don't vote for free-heelers
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    How about telemarkers?

Toby Wong?
    wool knickered granola eating Mammoth freaks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    New DW Flux owner here, third DW bike. I bought for lots of reasons, the geometry felt right, beautiful bike. I hope the quality is there, though there have been some breaks on the newer models too.

Customer service is probably great (not yet needed), but lasts only as long as the company. Obviously no support left for my last Iron Horse(s). That will never happen to Turner you may say? Watching Porsche go from koenig to debtor reminds us that what was once can be gone in a flash.

I hope that my two-grand for a frame keeps Dave around for a long, long time. I doubt the Arabs would have interest in a mountain bike company .

G.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

worms

Jmz touched on that can o worms. All bicycles are made in the same division of Sapa so 'quality' is going to be within the tolerance of the plant. Should a brand want higher tolerance or special weld rod etc etc then it is added to the bottom line and the designs are solely the responsibility of the customer. Says so right on each and every approval drawing.

Tapper, I like my wool boxers when sitting on a snowy chair lift swinging my freeeee heeled gear! I was daydreaming about cranking some turns in the paranoids just yesterday. WTF is up with that!!! July and I want to freeze my face off on that evil pile of pumice in seach of the linked turn, none of that mogul smearing tray sliding for me, no thank you, face the abyss and drop a knee.

DT

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So DT does this mean you spec higher tolerances?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

yes

Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    But remember there are plenty of broken Turner frames out there. I just saw a crack on a Sultan. Alloy busts but yes the Turner quality is amazing.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

Tapper, I like my wool boxers when sitting on a snowy chair lift swinging my freeeee heeled gear! I was daydreaming about cranking some turns in the paranoids just yesterday. WTF is up with that!!! July and I want to freeze my face off on that evil pile of pumice in seach of the linked turn, none of that mogul smearing tray sliding for me, no thank you, face the abyss and drop a knee.

DT
    Wow. You're such a granola munching hippie freeheeler. Who knew?

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Wow. You're such a granola munching hippie freeheeler. Who knew?
    the dude is hard to the core, K.I.R. every day, soul brother universal #1

BELIEVE

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    BELIEVE
    That's just psick. A whole other world of stoke.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Would Titus and Moots be considered the same quality as Turner? They all come out of the same place in Portland.
    I'm fairly certain Moots does their welding in house in Steamboat Springs CO, but I could be wrong. Not that it really matters that much to this discussion I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    I'm fairly certain Moots does their welding in house in Steamboat Springs CO, but I could be wrong. Not that it really matters that much to this discussion I suppose.
    I'm pretty sure Titus also does some welding in house, but according to This Moots is also a Sapa customer.

And that is an awesome pic!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure Titus also does some welding in house, but according to This Moots is also a Sapa customer.

And that is an awesome pic!!!
    i wonder if for moots they're just doing the aluminum fulll suspension rear ends.

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    i wonder if for moots they're just doing the aluminum fulll suspension rear ends.
    Yep, all the Ti production is done in Steamboat.

banned
    Sep 2005
    So the pricing increase is so DT can stay chest deep in fresh pow for 4 months out of the year?

trail fairy
    All bikes break period, nothing is frever or unbreakable!

Turners are well made as are many other brands, D does some things better and looks after his crew and Homiesw better han the rest, and its a tough crowd and hard business to be in!

So props for the CS, I love my RFX an Spot though Spot is in a box!

Enjoy the ride its what its all about
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0