mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Got your vistas in panorama here

Or at least I'm going to attempt to do so. Same set of trails I was on last week, only I stitched together multiple pics to create a single panorama pic (something I've never tried before). I had no luck uploading these last night because mtbr told me they were too wide. Here's another try:

No luck. I'm trying to embed these directly here from Photobucket, not just link to them. Can anybody help? 'Zilla?
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-02-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Trying again

6th Element suggested using the IMG link from Photobucket:

Would you look at that? I thought I tried that. Which is not using the Upload tool here but left clicking on the IMG link in Photobucket, "edit" "copy" then "pasting" directly into my thread. Here's three more:

Last edited by xcguy; 03-02-2009 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was going to weave these panos into a short story last night but gave up. Here's some more details: Green Mountain is the place you can take your newbie significant other for the easy stuff. Or, if you want some really steep climbs it's got that, too. Some pics of successful and unsuccessful attempts to follow. One is a pretty long steep...then steeper and loose...then ridiculously steep and loose climb. The guy pictured gave it his best shot but as happens when it all doesn't go to plan (rear wheel slips once, you lose your line, your legs give out) he walked the last 8 nearly vertical feet. The last time I tried this climb I made it and I'm not gonna try it again. It's no bargain just getting to the point the rider was at the first pic (of three).

The other climbing set of pics is of a section that isn't quite as steep...it's actually quite rideable...but that doesn't stop 70% of riders from either not making it or not even trying. In fact, going UP Box O' Rox is a steep grunt, too. But lots of fun. The lady coming at ya on the pink Yeti is almost a fixture there. She will kick your butt either ascending or descending. She's nice about it, though. The pic from down low of the rider grinding up the service road? Another long steep 16-20 minute grunt. The stated record is 12 minutes from the bridge way down there (not quite in one of the panos but to the right a bit) to the top where my Burner is resting against the rock pile. My record is abound 16 minutes but that was back when I had knees.

The wide open bowl I crafted two panos of (one from nearly the top and other looking back up there) is called "Box O' Rox" for a very good reason, although it seems someone recently went down this section with a shovel and pushed all the "rox" aside.

I'm gonna try to post these single pics backwards and see if that works.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Glad to have helped, that last few feet looks like a lungbuster!

ride
    Nice. I like Green Mountain. Should get down there, it's been a couple of years now. Good pics. I like the shot of the hike a bike. It does a good job of portraying how steep it really is. I like coming down that one.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Never enough time to ride
    Beautiful pics XC, looks like a lot of fun mang. That's the most dirt I've seen in about 4 months, keep em coming.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks a heap for your help

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Glad to have helped, that last few feet looks like a lungbuster!
    Sometimes it just takes a little push from somebody more knowledgeable than myself to make it happen. Re that last 8 feet: back when I was a whole lot stronger climber with good knees it was all I could do to push over that final pitch. I always told myself that if that pitch lasted another 5 feet I would have never made it. The pics do a pretty good job of showing how steep it is (when do pics really do that?) but, truly, it's almost vertical and a rider is pretty spent by the time he's got to actually clean it. That first pic is after you've done some seriously steep climbing for about 100 feet. It's like the trail at the top is asking "you think you're tired? Clear this!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Beautiful pics XC, looks like a lot of fun mang. That's the most dirt I've seen in about 4 months, keep em coming.

happy trails...

squish
    Glad to help. It's been real dry here lately so a lot of trails are mud-free rideable. It could just as easily be the opposite. I've been lusting after a really wide angle for my camera (Nikon D40) to get quasi-panorama shots. (to paraphrase Ansel Adams...wide angle lens?: who needs it, just step back). Sometimes I can't step back, coupled with the fact a decent really wide angle lens costs too dam much for me these days. So I'm experimenting with stitching together multiple shots. Probably stitching two pics would equal about an 18mm wide angle (in 35mm camera terms) but the panos I put up here were 4 to 6 pics.

For example, that pic of the Yeti Betty storming up Box O' Rox? That's just a single shot. The other stitched together panorama from virtually the same spot is four pics. Since I'm having to stitch together multiple pics I didn't use my D40 here, I had my Panasonic TZ5, but I could have done these with any of my cameras. Big freakin' deal, right? but it's cool to experiment like this on great trails that are rideable in early March. It's all part of my current philosophy to appreciate stuff I've ridden a thousand times, to see it all in a fresh light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Nice. I like Green Mountain. Should get down there, it's been a couple of years now. Good pics. I like the shot of the hike a bike. It does a good job of portraying how steep it really is. I like coming down that one.
    Green Mountain is kind of like those South Boulder trails you've been riding. If given a choice of any trails to ride Green Mountain might come in a distant whatever during the "real" riding season. But in late winter when other trails are sketchy it's really enjoyable. Here's another of that steep b!tch, before the hapless biker gave it his best shot. Who knows, if he hadn't spun out on some tiny rock he might have cleared it.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I made it today though!

So its kind of funny that I ran into you (XC Guy) today at Green Mountain and then you started talking about the guy who missed the hill...and sadly that person was me after confirming looking at the pictures. That was my first miss on that hill... but I redeemed myself today. Hopefully you got the pictures. I would love a copy of the pictures and the picture where it shows how steep it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by comountainrider
    So its kind of funny that I ran into you (XC Guy) today at Green Mountain and then you started talking about the guy who missed the hill...and sadly that person was me after confirming looking at the pictures. That was my first miss on that hill... but I redeemed myself today. Hopefully you got the pictures. I would love a copy of the pictures and the picture where it shows how steep it is.
    Yeah, what a coincidence. I haven't had time to check out what I got today but I really hope I have one of you cresting the top. Good job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Comoutainrider

It must be time for the kill jim training plan!

Members who have read this thread: 0