Is this a good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2759.l1259

When 08 frames can be had for about $900-$1100 new now?

So he wants probably $1500, which places the value of the parts at $400-$600 for parts and I looked at a few sites for some approx. prices (yeah I have a bit of time on my hands this morning, it's cold in Boise this morning!) I priced the parts out new assumption that most of his parts are new anyway.

"Wasnt ridden to much and the parts hardly ridden on "

Fox Float RL 120mm: $408.20 for the 08 model from Chainreactioncycles in the UK - one of the best online shopping cycling sites I've ever seen, by the way in terms of ease of use/search function and inventory/selection
    King Headset: $129 from Beyondbikes in San Diego

Easton Monkeybar: (clearly seen in the photo) $24.98 from Pricepoint

Thomson Stem: $89.98 Pricepoint

Thomson post: $89.98 also Pricepoint

XT Front Der: $49.98 Priceoint

XT Crankset: $269.98 Pricepoint

Avid Disc brakes with levers (no cables): $46.98 each and levers are about $19.00 on Pricepoint.

So, if we discount 10% we have about $668.00 in parts, so effectively selling 05/06 frame (it has a horst link so I think it's really an 05), for a little over $800

I had an 05 and it was the best bike I ever had all around, so this could be a good way for me to get XC/All Mtn ride again, just not sure on the deal.... thoughts, opinions about me pulling the trigger on this? I don't really care about the fact that the chainstay on this model is not assymetric, as the der only hit the stay if I did a little drop in my small ring

Thanks!!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    IMO, not the best deal, nor worst. Depending on cost of missing parts it'd come out to the complete bikes you see for sale.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    Thomson Stem: $89.98 Pricepoint

Thomson post: $89.98 also Pricepoint

XT Front Der: $49.98 Pricepoint

XT Crankset: $269.98 Pricepoint

you can get the above for way less new form other online stores or the likes of larry, chad and dave. i think it's a little pricey overall but not a terrible deal.

No, that's not phonetic
    The shock they put on the bike seems to be longer than stock the way it has laid the rockers back. The BB must be very high. Combine that with a 120mm fork and you will have a very weird handling bike. You would want to swap out the fork for a 140 anyway, so that reduces the value of the package.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I agree with tscheezy.

It's a lot of cash for old components. Discounting 10% essentially MSRP prices is not the way to go when you build a new bike. Make a list of parts and knock on a few bike shops doors and see what prices they quote you for the package.

Also keep in mind that you will probably get tempted to find a set of 5.5in rockers to put on that frame, especially if you buy a 140mm fork to replace the Fox 120. And that's another $100 or so on the used market (if you can find a set).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That looks like a HL rear end so it can't be a 2006 frame it has to be older than that.could have been bought in 2006. That is when i got my HL 2005 spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Keep looking

Like tscheezy noted, the rear shock/rockers look weird, that's a bad sign. Used/Old components are just that, thus not worth even close to retail. By they time you make that rig "right" you'll be shelling out significant dough. Be patient, I just went thru the same thing looking for a HL Flux (got one), saw many more HL 5-Spots during my search.

mtbr member
    Call Larry at Mountain High. I wouldn't be surprised if he could put together a good deal for you including a used frame. Plus, you know you are getting qualilty parts and great service.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Check this out....

Just for reference, HL 5-Spot, they're out there.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1026549061.html

Members who have read this thread: 0