Good alternative shock to the Romic on the 5-Spot???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    136

    Good alternative shock to the Romic on the 5-Spot???

    Has anyone had any success with the Manitou Swinger Coil Shocks on the 5-Spot.
    Aside from the Romic, what do you use on your 5-Spot?

  2. #2
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin
    Has anyone had any success with the Manitou Swinger Coil Shocks on the 5-Spot.
    Aside from the Romic, what do you use on your 5-Spot?
    Do a search below. There were a few discussions on this. The consensus is the current best aftermarket alternative is the Swinger 3-way and 4-way shocks. The Fox DHX is the heir-apparent and will likely sit on the throne as top-shock when it finally ships so get in line for that one.

    Meanwhile, word has it that If you can get your hands on a Vanella, and get it Pushed, you'll be in heaven.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    136
    Thanks. Just doing some forward research before I get my 5-Spot.

  4. #4
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin
    Has anyone had any success with the Manitou Swinger Coil Shocks on the 5-Spot.
    Aside from the Romic, what do you use on your 5-Spot?
    I will add a little to re-iterate what Zilla already said. There are a few good choices to be had in a alternative shock on the 5 Spot vs. the stock Romic at this time. What you can get is, 2004 Manitou Swinger coil and air. The coil is quite good performing, the air is also quite good as far as air shocks go, but not quite up to the coil standards. An old Fox Vanilla coil or Float AVA and having either PUSHED would be an excellent choice for sure, dont turn down this idea without some serious thought. Maybe even an Avalanche if you have serious bank to blow. Now, what you cant quite get yet and you might want (or maybe not): The 2005 Fox DHX will be an awesome coil choice, and for air I feel the best choice will be the Fox RP3. The 2005 Manitou air shock has proven to have a bit too much wallow and extremely tough to tune correclty. It almost feel like a hard tail climbing and then too soft and blowing through travel all in the same set up. If you want Manitou swinger coil, try to find one now before the 04's dry up.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,789

    Alt. Shock

    I like my Manitou 3 way air. One pound lighter, totaly reliable and plush, especially for an air shock.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    .......... Maybe even an Avalanche if you have serious bank to blow. ...........
    ..........funny that you should mention the Avy!!! Just days prior to receiving my new Spot, I had a long discussion with DT regarding an alternate rear shock. Having a big DH background, as well as an Avy on my DH bike, I asked his opinion of an Avy on the Spot.....there was a very distinct moment of silence....then laughter....then he slowly asked me why! LOL It does seem a little bit of overkill, being designed to handle abuse that would probably destroy the Spot eventually at a hefty weight penalty......but the performance cannot be matched by anything on the market!!!!!


  7. #7
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,345

    Just to back up your point

    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ..........funny that you should mention the Avy!!! Just days prior to receiving my new Spot, I had a long discussion with DT regarding an alternate rear shock. Having a big DH background, as well as an Avy on my DH bike, I asked his opinion of an Avy on the Spot.....there was a very distinct moment of silence....then laughter....then he slowly asked me why! LOL It does seem a little bit of overkill, being designed to handle abuse that would probably destroy the Spot eventually at a hefty weight penalty......but the performance cannot be matched by anything on the market!!!!!
    Here is a older or past design DHR in my garage right now, with the Avalanche. On this bike, the Avalanche is on the correct bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    136
    Seems to me it would be the wise choice to wait for the 2005 Fox DHX.
    When will these things be available to buy?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin
    Has anyone had any success with the Manitou Swinger Coil Shocks on the 5-Spot.
    Aside from the Romic, what do you use on your 5-Spot?
    get a Fox RC & send it to Push - you will not regret it - I've got two and they are the best performing shocks I've ever had (had Romics on both bikes before)

    http://www.pushindustries.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Espen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    364
    This bike is NOT a 03 DHR. It's a prototype showed at Interbike before the 03 season. I think it was called the C-Note
    I was ment to be a more affortabe DH bike, but the project was canselled.
    The linkage on the DHR is doing an important job.

    Edit:
    And.....GO WITH A PUSHED VANILLA!! I got a rider spesific shimstack Vanilla on my 5S and this shock ROCKS. I think Push got an even better upgrade than my Mojo Vanilla.

    I would love to try out the DHX but, not yet. First productionrun products are never 100%

    e


    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Here is a older or past design DHR in my garage right now, with the Avalanche. On this bike, the Avalanche is on the correct bike.
    Last edited by Espen; 07-17-2004 at 02:31 PM.

  11. #11
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    The 2005 Fox DHX will be an awesome coil choice, and for air I feel the best choice will be the Fox RP3. .
    Can you elaborrate on those 2 shocks? What would be better for a hard riding 230lb guy?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ratfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    158

    Push!

    Push!




  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    ........New 05 Fox DHX 5.0 has left its nest & is heading to my place to roost...BABY!!!!!!!!

    ...reports to follow!


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    136
    Sweet! How much?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin
    Sweet! How much?
    $399...........give Go-Ride a call!!!!!!!!!!!!


  16. #16
    Rocket Scientist
    Reputation: bpatterson6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010

    ... and if we just ...

    Get it Pushed here is Mine.
    Sweet Azz Ride!!! You wont Regret it.
    The Turner Factory team is using these this year.
    They Rave about them. https://www.PUSHIndustries.com


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ........New 05 Fox DHX 5.0 has left its nest & is heading to my place to roost...BABY!!!!!!!!

    ...reports to follow!
    I'm all ears! How did you size your spring? Same as what was on your Romic?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I'm all ears! How did you size your spring? Same as what was on your Romic?
    ..........well, I had assumed that I would need a lighter spring (ala 5th Element...etc), but apparently Fox is recommending a similar weight to standard coil/ oil dampers. Go-Ride had already ordered the shock with the standard weight (500lb) as they were going quickly in that spec (7.5 x 2.0). Interestingly enough, the 5-Spot spec'd dampers (7.5 x 2 ) were available first....other lengths were not yet available. I had contacted them long ago & asked for soonest availability so I didn't really mind. My theory is, with the air assist the lighter weight spring will give me more adjustability (current spring on romic is 550# & is slightly too light, but works fine nonetheless). They offered to swap me out for a heavier spring should the need arise.


  19. #19
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ........New 05 Fox DHX 5.0 has left its nest & is heading to my place to roost...BABY!!!!!!!!

    ...reports to follow!
    Hey, you get the DHX yet? Any initial reports? Fit, spring rate and size, adjustments, ect??.... I have one on the way also...... The guy at fox i talked to is sending me a 600lb spring. I have a 650 romic already. He thought they would be interchangable as the DHX didnt sound like it used the same springs as an RC. Looking forward to your comments....

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Hey, you get the DHX yet? Any initial reports? Fit, spring rate and size, adjustments, ect??.... I have one on the way also...... The guy at fox i talked to is sending me a 600lb spring. I have a 650 romic already. He thought they would be interchangable as the DHX didnt sound like it used the same springs as an RC. Looking forward to your comments....
    .....NOT YET!!!! Should be between SLC & VA about now. They sent it ground as soon as it came into the shop...I would have had them upgrade to 2 day had I known. Should be here tomorrow...........


  21. #21
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    .....NOT YET!!!! Should be between SLC & VA about now. They sent it ground as soon as it came into the shop...I would have had them upgrade to 2 day had I known. Should be here tomorrow...........
    Oh, gotcha. Mine is supposed to leave fox real soon. Im very excited! Im still going through the initial stages of having the spot. Ive had it since last friday and have already lost a pound in tires, swapped to a 100mm thomson stem, and am ordering new cranks. Gotta get rid of the salt and pepper look i got from the white stem, white cranks, and white stickers on my beautiful black anno frame.......

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    ......Gotta get rid of the white stickers on my beautiful black anno frame.......
    ........if you're looking for a stealthier motif....check the link in my sig. I can email you the file & take it to your local sign maker....mine cost $10 & look very sweet!!!


  23. #23
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ........if you're looking for a stealthier motif....check the link in my sig. I can email you the file & take it to your local sign maker....mine cost $10 & look very sweet!!!
    Ive looked at your thread many a time. I'd do the reflective thing too if i had thought of it... Dont wanna copy though.... i like originality. Yours is a bad ass look BTW.... I have my own sticker design ill have done in a few weeks.im just waiting for the guy who runs the machine to return from a buisness trip. I've also made my own that match the current logo real well. Im a CAD guy so working on them keeps me awake on those slow days. Once its applied ill post pics. I like the new sticker look, it just has too much white........ill preserve the original sticks incase i end up not liking my custom look.

    I'd still be interested in seeing the file. Maybe i could use it here.... most of what i do though is all cad based using .dxf file format. Ill PM you my addy.

    D

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    .....UPS showed up late...no time for a ride yet. Mucho riding time this weekend!!!





    ...this thing is HUGE!



  25. #25
    in the getto
    Reputation: toe-knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    175
    awsome , we await a full detailed report
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    31

    Man, are you a professional photographer or what

    You should sell your services to PUSH with shots that nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    Push!




  27. #27
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    .....UPS showed up late...no time for a ride yet. Mucho riding time this weekend!!!





    ...this thing is HUGE!

    Have you checked the clearance of the resivor to downtube under full compression? I had a K2 frame once with a swinger and the oversized resivor actually dented the tube under full compression. I didnt mind denting that bike, but couldnt live with myself if i dented my 5spot. Can you mount the shock any other way?? I guess ill be answering these same things soon enough. I should get mine next week.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Have you checked the clearance of the resivor to downtube under full compression? I had a K2 frame once with a swinger and the oversized resivor actually dented the tube under full compression. I didnt mind denting that bike, but couldnt live with myself if i dented my 5spot. Can you mount the shock any other way?? I guess ill be answering these same things soon enough. I should get mine next week.
    ....the shock appears to clear fine. It doesn't appear to have any alternativ e mounting options however. I am going to remove the coil & cycle the suspension tonite, but I did attempt to bottom the shock by bouncing & it didn't appear to come too close. This thing really feels great with initial testing!!!


  29. #29
    oly
    oly is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    850
    Cool, ive checked the RM thread too..... I also know the guy at fox i dealt with said there were a few spot owners there with this shock on it.... He didnt mention how it was mounted though. The swinger coil that I have at home seemed to almost fit with resivor up and back, and also with the main body down, and resivor forward......... but i dont have shock spacers so i was just eyeballing the centering of it. Without compressing you cant tell how far the shock really moves.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Romic spring on my 5 Spot
    By JTBAZ in forum Turner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 07:34 AM
  2. Magura air shock for UK 5 Spot
    By HollywoodUK in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 12:56 PM
  3. Another New 5 Spot Story
    By Surfer in forum Turner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:57 AM
  4. Any one run an air shock on a 5 spot?
    By S-Works in forum Turner
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 01:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.