Gearing for 2x9- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gearing for 2x9

mtbr member

Gearing for 2x9

There's been some talk recently of 2x9, bashguards, and what not so I thought it might be interesting to hear what gearing you guys are running on your Turners. I made the swap to 2x9 several months ago by simply replacing my big ring with a bash guard and thought it might be wise to re-gear. Any thoughts?

mad aussie

2 ring gearing

I am running a 22-34 combo with an 11-34 rear, I have heard about a 26-38 combo (I think) that would be a better choice, I dont tend to use the 22-34 rear combo much at all as I find I do better on steep loose climbs in a lower cadence (ie I dont spin out).
    Anyone know about the different chainring combo's?

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I also run a 22/34 front with a 11x34 rear on my XCE. Being a heavier rider, I need all the help I can get and I'm constantly suprised at what I can climb with this combo. I don't miss the big chainring in the front and the bashplate has saved my chainring on log and rock impacts.

One added advantage to running 2X9 as above is that you can run a shorter chain which somewhat reduces chain slap.

mtbr member
    ive been running 2x9 for three years now and id never go back. the gearing that ive found works the best for me is 26-36 in the front and 12-34 in the rear. i love it.

Baked Alaskan

22 x 32 x bashguard

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    There's been some talk recently of 2x9, bashguards, and what not so I thought it might be interesting to hear what gearing you guys are running on your Turners. I made the swap to 2x9 several months ago by simply replacing my big ring with a bash guard and thought it might be wise to re-gear. Any thoughts?

That's what I'm running right now, but I was thinking about moving to a 34 or 36 instead of the 32 up front. Blackspire makes a lot of different rings for the XT 104 bcd cranks I'm running.

Running the standard 11-34 xt in the rear, I'm thinking about playing with that too, trying to find a cassette with a more gradual spread, rather than the big jumps that I have right now. Too much hunting for the right gear, and I ran a lot over the winter so I haven't touched the 34 yet.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...