banned

New question here. Gauging Interest: Eurobike 08

I've hijacked several other threads over time speaking about it, but now I'd like to see if anyone here is interested in making a run to EB 08. I know nothing about anythnig to do with it, so I'm simply going to head there, check out the new stuff, and take lots of pics to bring back here.

I've noted EB coverage doesn't seem to be as good as IB coverage here.

Is anyone interested in doing this? Has anyone don'e EB before?

No, that's not phonetic
    I think some Euro Homers should hit it and report back.

There are a few reasons why folks in the Americas may be less interested in Eurobike than Interbike though: they seem to focus on road stuff, most of the exhibitors are Euro brands that we will (hopefully) never see over here, and there's a lot of carbon. I have looked through EB coverage on a few websites and there was precious little that interested me. The actual on-dirt demo portion also seems anemic, so it may be hard to get feedback on new parts other than how shiny they look at the floor show.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I think some Euro Homers should hit it and report back.

There are a few reasons why folks in the Americas may be less interested in Eurobike than Interbike though: they seem to focus on road stuff, most of the exhibitors are Euro brands that we will (hopefully) never see over here, and there's a lot of carbon. I have looked through EB coverage on a few websites and there was precious little that interested me. The actual on-dirt demo portion also seems anemic, so it may be hard to get feedback on new parts other than how shiny they look at the floor show.
    So are you suggesting that some big, loud, obnoxious, and possibly drunk homers should bust in and turn the place upside down?

banned
    PS- this invite would be open to everyone including those who aren't Turner owners.

mtbr member
    If you plan on going i would suggest fitting a trip to the Alps for some top rides dirt or road!

mtbr member
    If I manage to fit that in the schedule, I would gladly come, ride and meet some Euro Homers.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    If you plan on going i would suggest fitting a trip to the Alps for some top rides dirt or road!
    I wouldn't want it any other way

From the bits and pieces I've seen scattered throughout the web, the weight-weenies seem to be out there and as mentioned, they seem to worship carbon more than us. Perhaps it's because EB caters to a collection of diverse countries throughout Europe and some places can easily support bikes whose wheels will never leave the ground.

I know they have a healthy DH/FR/heavy duty trailbike scene, but they seem to get less press. I'd really like to be able to make a comprehensive tour, or split up into groups to get some nice coverage and be able to compare notes with tscheezy's IB coverage and see how different the Euro market really is.

So far Crisillo is interested, and I'll probably x-post this out there. Are any of you fellas familiar with any trails in the Alps? At least for 07, there seemed to have been good support for Zurich based visitors and perhaps that might continue.

the refurbished one

Wink vegas is nothing compared to Friedrichshafen

you guys do have a completely wrong view of the EB. the EB is more than twice as big as the IB and carbon/weightweenie and road stuff is maybe 20% of the show. the rest is AM, Enduro, Trail, FR, DH whatever you want. you will not find any tiny us custom builder but all the homer ingredients you need + some nice european brands you have probably never heard about but want to have once you have seen them.

IB is a tiny show compared to EB. and EB is worth to come over, really.

and for the Alps you should consider Portes du Soleil / MTB Portes du Soleil

cheers
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be very interested as well. It would be nice to combine that with some sightseeing in Europe. It has been too long since I did some real travel.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hball, link us to some big EB dirt demo review pages. I think I missed them. I saw some, but it was very limited. Dirt is where it's at.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

the refurbished one
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Hball, link us to some big EB dirt demo review pages. I think I missed them. I saw some, but it was very limited. Dirt is where it's at.
    this year was the first year they had sth. like the dirt demo in vegas. and over here we do not have sb like you writing all these reviews.

maybe it will grow with the years like it did at IB. but just an experienced biker can judge a bike after riding it for about 30min - 1hour.

but i will be always a big challenge especially for smaller brands to provide enough demobikes. we are talking about over 65000 visitors. 35000 just on one sunday when the show is open for the public (other days are for industry professionals, shop owners etc.)! IB is talks about 15000+ visitors.

do not want to start a EB vs. IB deathmatch but you have to see the difference between these two shows.

for demoing bikes there is the BikeFestival in Willingen. That is where you can demo new bikes for the upcoming season from all kind of brands at the beginning of the season.

cheers
    Last edited by hball; 10-30-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    not wanting to organise anything but it sounds to me like there should be a euro homerthon which ties in with eurobike for those interested parties. just a suggestion.........

rr
    I don't do PC
    This thread cracks me up, not dissing Eurobike at all but a dedicated homer trip to Europe and all the related expenses just to see Eurobike 1 DAY, and maybe some riding on the side?

JC- why not plan a vacation over there with riding and seeing the sites as the priority and maybe you can make the show, but a dedicated trip like that for one day at the show so you can post pics here for the homers? Or better yet use the $ to take a kick arse vacation stateside

And less press for the DH/FR scene over there? Dude your in the states hanging out on MTBR, why would you hear about the scene over there as much as you do here?

I'm sorry but this is the gheyest homer idea yet

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    This thread cracks me up, not dissing Eurobike at all but a dedicated homer trip to Europe and all the related expenses just to see Eurobike 1 DAY, and maybe some riding on the side?

JC- why not plan a vacation over there with riding and seeing the sites as the priority and maybe you can make the show, but a dedicated trip like that for one day at the show so you can post pics here for the homers? Or better yet use the $ to take a kick arse vacation stateside

And less press for the DH/FR scene over there? Dude your in the states hanging out on MTBR, why would you hear about the scene over there as much as you do here?

rroeder,

I'm going to be living there, so the visit for me is just a car ride away. I was appealing to Turner owners in the surrounding regions, as well as riders of other brands as well.

As my previous posts in other threads have eluded to, it would be based in some riding, but I am really interested in seeing what the bike industry is like way over there and what kind of new technology will be pawned off on us next.h

mtbr member
    Passportes du Portes du Soleil and the Megavelanche are good things to try as a proper objectives.
    Eurobike is at the end of the season, are there any other events to tie in with?
    We did have a go at this didn't we.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=235163
    Stay off the brakes

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    rroeder,

I'm going to be living there, so the visit for me is just a car ride away. I was appealing to Turner owners in the surrounding regions, as well as riders of other brands as well.

As my previous posts in other threads have eluded to, it would be based in some riding, but I am really interested in seeing what the bike industry is like way over there and what kind of new technology will be pawned off on us next.h
    Well that makes more sense, wish ya would of said your gonna live over there so I wouldn't of gone off Thought you were asking the homers to travel over there just to see Eurobike, personally I would rather take a trip to Europe with family or friends, not strangers on the internet.

Outcast
    What about booth babes? Does eurobike have scantily clad uninhibited euro-hotties? Gotta have your priorities straight.

Bite Me.
    I will be glad to donate my private jet to fly the Homer crew over for a couple of days once my Nigerian bank account gets wired here. Just pm me with all your private financial information and I'll put you on the guest list - Ibraheem.

As far as EB goes - the beer will defintely be superior, but the Tequila won't be as good. I got to do a bit of VTT riding outside Annecy a few years back and the terrain is spectacular - huge vertical and awesome views.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    What about booth babes? Does eurobike have scantily clad uninhibited euro-hotties? Gotta have your priorities straight.
    They don't shave their underarms.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    They don't shave their underarms.
    luckily the young ones do

how could I have missed this thread.... I only missed EB this year because I was back in the US at that time, visiting friends after the Tribe Gathering.... my riding buddies went..and for sure I am there next time (unless I manage to finish my PhD before then, but I doubt it )

mtbr member
    Up for everyone to think about it.

banned
    RAD offered the suggestion of Winterburg as a more suitable show to meet at, as EB is not all that to speak of.

I also have a good friend in Nordrhein-Westfallen, who owns a DH/FR shop, and he offered to get me in as a dealer at the beginning of the show.

RAD offered the suggestion of Winterburg as a more suitable show to meet at, as EB is not all that to speak of.

I also have a good friend in Nordrhein-Westfallen, who owns a DH/FR shop, and he offered to get me in as a dealer at the beginning of the show.

cool!

mtbr member
    I have to admit, I do not know when that is. More info?

banned
    https://www.eurobike-exhibition.de/h...home/index.php

First week of September.

Here's the link for Winterberg Bike Park:

https://www.bikepark-winterberg.de/index.php?id=9

And their course:

My gf has actually been there in the past and rode the course during the off season, before she became a real biker. Said it was pretty fun and we watched some youtube videos of it and she remembers a lot of the features.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling

nice find, Bling!

Turner owner
    As one of the "Euro-Homers" I feel I have to comment on this.
    Winterberg is a bikepark with just one (fairly easy) downhill-track, there's some northshore, a 4x track and a gravel freecross. It's a fun bikepark, but only for a day or two in my opinion. Friedrichshafen and Winterberg are quite a few miles apart. Not sure how many, but count on at least a 6 hours drive.
    Friedrichshafen itself is quite close to the Alps. It's 1,5 hour drive to austria's Kleinwalsertal where some good trails are situated. Then there's the French bikeparks like Portes du soleil (Morzine, Les Gets, Champery) with countless miles of downhill track in every grade. It's far better to go there than to Winterberg. French bikeparks have much longer downhills and far more natural trails than you'll probably ever find in Germany.
    Lots of helmetcam footage can be found on youtube. Les Gets and Alpe d'Huez have featured in the Earthed series.
    In Austria there's Saalbach-Hinterglemm and Leogang as two of the larger bikeparks

Send me a PM if you'd like to know more, because I've visited quite a few of them.

Cheers, from Holland
    Member of the Trailjunkies
    Turner RFX
    Turner DHR
    Evil Faction

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I'm with J.BL at this point.Winterberg is nice for a day as season warm-up and is easy to reach for the guys living in the north like me but it is so dam overcrowded and doesn't have a that challenging terrain.
    There are far better options as J.BL already said.

RaD

I'm such a newbie in this sense (mostly an XC rider this far), that any level of dificulty wll probably be a challenge for me

but I have no problem with going to any of those options

mtbr member
    Guys what about the EHC? Is it still in planning phase or you want to kill it and meet during the EBIKE? I am just starting to make plans for next summer.

banned
    Ok, thread back from the dead.

I am confirmed to attend Eurobike 2008 with the dealers. I'll try and get as much info of what things are like over here. From what I see on the trails and on the street, it's quite different.

Expert Crasher
    JC - looking forward to some updates from you on this.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

trail fairy

I am confirmed to attend Eurobike 2008 with the dealers. I'll try and get as much info of what things are like over here. From what I see on the trails and on the street, it's quite different.
    I'll take the free jet to Euro bike

1: we expect you to be our euro Tscheezy!, if not demo piccs at least piccs of bikes and booth girls

2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    If you bring your sisters, Im in, mind you Euro chicks are hawt, under arm hair or not, just dump em after 40 is all, they do end up looking like there mothers

3:
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    All Homer ideas are GHEY but we have and share ideas, everything starts with an idea, "Vive La France" where is this again..

Ps Miss Venezuela Danyana Mendoza is Miss Universe 2008

Dam those Vens girls are hawt, any good riding in Venezuela
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-14-2008 at 05:19 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I'll take the free jet to Euro bike

1: we expect you to be our euro Tscheezy!, if not demo piccs at least piccs of bikes and booth girls
    Lord no. If that was the case, I'd be posting all sorts of bad sizing info, resulting in many irate people pissed about how they got the wrong size, like the highline and the current RFX.

You'd also get pictures of flexy wheels blamed on a rear tri that's obviously in line.

trail fairy
    Lord no. If that was the case, I'd be posting all sorts of bad sizing info, resulting in many irate people pissed about how they got the wrong size, like the highline and the current RFX.

You'd also get pictures of flexy wheels blamed on a rear tri that's obviously in line.
    ...still get some hot piccs
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

cool....I am planning to go this year...I'll go on the "public days" over the weekend...since my sister will be visiting I will probably be showing her around the black forest, etc and come down for eurobike...

banned
    ok, let's keep in touch because I'm camping out overnight into day two. Don't know if we're heading back or not on that day. At the least, I'd like to meet you in person.

I don't know if I will drive down straight from Dresden or go from Bielefeld with the crew.

I'm going to contact some manufacturers and arrange for some words or pictures. Then I'll see if I'll have enough to post on the blog of mtbr.

ok, let's keep in touch because I'm camping out overnight into day two. Don't know if we're heading back or not on that day. At the least, I'd like to meet you in person.

I don't know if I will drive down straight from Dresden or go from Bielefeld with the crew.

I'm going to contact some manufacturers and arrange for some words or pictures. Then I'll see if I'll have enough to post on the blog of mtbr.

cool!

will do... my sister will be flying in on that Friday..so we would be there on Fri-Sat...but we can sync itineraries

Members who have read this thread: 0