Bite Me.

Fruita GJ options for THC

For those of you planning on hitting Fruita GJ in October, here's a great link that describes pretty much all the riding in the area from Rabbit Valley to GJ. http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/site.html

Accurate trail descriptions and good high reso maps that can be printed and stuffed in jersey pocket or camel back. Most of the trail guides for the area have not kept up with the latest developments for riding on newer loops and trails. These guys nail it on the head. I humbly suggest that the Ribbon is a "must do".

I thnk Cactus started the "THC" nomenclature, but doesn't that also stand for something else??
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great website. Though I can't make the trip, I'll still throw Moore Fun in both directions into the "must do" category. Bring you climbing legs, Team Sanchez!
    Whining is not a strategy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hehe, you said THC, I vote for GJ lunch loop area but I imagine Koko's will be in demand also. Maybe we could have 2 groups and everyone could choose which area they want to ride, I think most folks will only be there 1 day right?

Team Blindspot

Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Hehe, you said THC, I vote for GJ lunch loop area but I imagine Koko's will be in demand also. Maybe we could have 2 groups and everyone could choose which area they want to ride, I think most folks will only be there 1 day right?
    Hey Rick,

My meeting in the springs got changed to third weekend in Oct. So if you need any of my racks Moab, let me know and we'll have to figure out a way to get them to you.

John

P.S. Me and the Family will be in comfort Suites in Moab, don't know if Fruita will work for me yet. Kids will need to be back for school.
    Astigmatic Visionary

No, that's not phonetic
    Let's shuttle the ribbon and then hammer out some lunch loops.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Hey Rick,

My meeting in the springs got changed to third weekend in Oct. So if you need any of my racks Moab, let me know and we'll have to figure out a way to get them to you.

John

P.S. Me and the Family will be in comfort Suites in Moab, don't know if Fruita will work for me yet. Kids will need to be back for school.
    I think those homies have rails for their bikes and I have a rail for mine, I think I will just bring the RFX so we should be set.

I think we are staying at the comfort suites too, make sure you get a room FAR AWAY from ours, CC gets all loud and obnoxious after a few beers

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Let's shuttle the ribbon.
    a man after my own heart! thank you! thank you!

after 4 days of havin my ass handed to me in utah, this sounds like a good plan to me. ill be able to stuff a few folks and bike into my car. anyone interested in this?
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    a man after my own heart! thank you! thank you!

after 4 days of havin my ass handed to me in utah, this sounds like a good plan to me. ill be able to stuff a few folks and bike into my car. anyone interested in this?
    Yeah, I agree, best way to experience all the fun trails there, of course it IS a CO shuttle so you know what that means.

it means im screwed, doesnt it? after lookin at the maps/descriptions on bassfaces link, some dont look too bad. lemon squeezer and holy cross are both under 800' and cross has options. i might be down for some of that as the ribbon shuttle looks like a bit more than i might wanna tackle now that ive seen the map.

No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Dave was talking about 2 days in the area - a full day on the 2nd and a shorter morning ride on the 3rd. If you haven't ridden the Kokopelli/Mary's area, you really don't want to miss it - just for the scenic factor being near the river. It's a pretty spectacular place to turn the cranks - even compared to Moab, and the single track is, well, it's about a skinny as it gets

Everything in the area is within about a max 30 minute drive from Fruita central (all one block of it ) so there's no reason you couldn't ride the Mary's Horsethief stuff in the morning and opt for a Ribbon shuttle in the afternoon, or vise versa. We're heading out a day early and will probably have two vehicles, the Trooper with three racks and a Tundra pick up so we can haul a few bikes around plus have room for extra people. I gues a lot depends on where Dave intends to set up the toy hauler.

Cactus-butt - there's plenty of less stenuous/dangerous riding aorund and the elevation is only around 4,500 feet, so we don' need no stinkin' excuses comprende? Fiesta Guadalajara is the answer to Mexican food cravings by the way.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

thanx for the clue-in catfish crotch. those river overlooks are sweet! we simply need more time in this area. hell, im down for just about anything under1000' at this point, maybe more as i think i just quit smokin 3 hours ago. ill try and keep my whining to the bare minimum.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Decisions decisions, both areas are a lot of fun. One thing cool about the Kokopelli area is the easy access, right off I-70. Hell, we could hit the kokopelli area on the way out for a quickie if you want CC, we usually do that so we get a ride in on the drive out to Moab.

The lunch loop seems to be favored by most locals and front range people, less crowded, more technical overall and the Ribbon trail is pretty cool, I hear Holy Cross is a lot of fun too. I lived there for a month back in '02 and rode that area some but haven't been back since, with the shuttle you would cut out the initial 2000+ft(I think) grunt from the parking area to get to Ribbon but you still climb some obviously.

its all sounds so good. what do ya think the chances are of puttin together a mini thc for those of us goin over the vail pass on the 27th? we could all do a quickie ride, like ya said, at one of these spots then all drive to st g together.

"we got a big ol con - voy...
    drivin through the night.
    we got a big ol con - voy...
    aint she a beautiful sight?
    con - voy!"
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0