mtbr member
    Jul 2011

is the Fox talas worth the price?

About to buy a 5 spot and can't figure out if the 2012 Talas is worth the price for the upgrade? I ride some DH, more XC, but do people that have the Talas actual change it up? Most things I have read said people that buy the Talas never actually do any adjusting.

nocturnal oblivion
    Don't bother, it just adds weight and can lower damper performance. If anything I'd recommend saving a few bucks more and going with Rock Shox; Full travel, very easy to rebuild, great forks.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    On my 07 5 spot I used the Talas function alot (130 to 160), but on the 09 Spot I just leave it in 160mm al the time.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I think it depends on were you live. I used the U-turn function on my Revelation all the time; however, it i lived in Sedona, St. George, or a flatter places I would not bother. I can't imagine climbing with a 160 fork on the Spot. If you live in Vegas I would not bother.

Making fat cool since '71
    I put one on my slack AM hardtail (65 degree HA) thinking I'd love being able to adjust all the time, but over time I've settled on leaving it all the way out unless on an extended (>30 minutes) climb. It's nice for those extended climb times, but...I'm not always doing hour plus climbs and could live w/out it I suppose.

FWIW, I have no need for travel adjust on my RFX.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the thoughts. Besides the weight and cost, function/performance is the same correct? I would imagine with more working parts for adjustments that also means more pieces to brake. This will be the last bike I get hopefully for years and my job moves me all around so kind of light the idea of the Talas if I am not giving up any performance. But the extra money I'd save on the non-talas I could buy some new shoes and pedals.

Here, diagonally!
    I demod a Mach429 with a 95 / 120 Talas with Kashima last Friday. Worked great, and was useful to have 2 front-end settings. However since there is no remote, I was only able to get to the switch about 1/3 of the time I could have benefited from it. At the demo I was already trying to figure out how to get a shifter hooked up to the height adjustment knob. As far as I know it would have to be DIY.

Check the reviews, a lot of people have reported issues with the Talas. The one on my demo bike worked flawlessly, and moved very freely with almost no stiction. Guy from the LBS at the demo says Fox has worked out the bugs and Talas is a great way to go. Then again he sells them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last question for current 5 spot riders with a Talas, especially those with the new 2012s, then i'll let this thread die. I have read there have been a lot of improvements on the 12s "solving past Talas issues," but havent seen anyhing from riders. Any regrets on getting the adjustable? Do you actually use it?

And then to those that have a non-adjustable any limitations to your climbing?

My cup runneth over
    Lyrik coil u-turn for a year on my '10 Spot in Colorado. Still have never wound it down...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Lyrik coil u-turn for a year on my '10 Spot in Colorado. Still have never wound it down...
    I'll second that, only mine is a Lyrik Air, Mission Control DH, best fork I have ever ridden & do not miss my 2009 Talas, ever

mtbr member
    No. Next question.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    In short, it's not. It's the least reliable of the bunch and worst performing (in terms of trail feel). Either go with a Float if you want an air spring or a Vanilla if you want best feel. Best yet, go with Rock Shox and get a much better damper, more reliability and much longer life out of the seals and bushings.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    No. Next question.
    +1. Talas is way over-rated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If it is as good as my 29 talas 2011 i would say get a rock shox.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Float with a 650B wheel for a nice improvement. Most RS forks wont work with a 650B while all current Fox forks will.

Color conscious? Aftermarket Floats are White the Talas is black
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've had a Push'd 36 Talas on my '07 RFX and now on my 11' Spot. While I totally agree that the Talas's feel is not as good as the Float, Vanilla, or some Rockshox offerings, I would not trade the Talas function for the world. We do a LOT of big 1 to 3 hour climbs here in western MT. They often have some seriously steep technical sections. For me, the Talas function makes these climbs MUCH easier. I really can't see riding around here with a 160mm fork without it. To each his own.

mtbr member

Talas for me

There are a few super steep short technical climbs were I ride and it makes it so much easier to climb when I drop to the lower setting on my TALAS equipped DWL 5-Spot, Many other places I ride, I never use TALAS, So, for me it was worth it, for many others, not so much.

mtbr member
    Get the Float over the Talas. Simpler, lighter, better performance.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mk_ View Post
    in short, it's not. It's the least reliable of the bunch and worst performing (in terms of trail feel). Either go with a float if you want an air spring or a vanilla if you want best feel. Best yet, go with rock shox and get a much better damper, more reliability and much longer life out of the seals and bushings.

_mk
    +1.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    BehInd the no messages on TALAS is the more interesting comments that the Rock shox dampening is better. I have missed these comments for years until my latest bike came with a Revelation. Pushed vanilla 140, pushed Float 140, pre pushed float 140, vanilla 36 all of these bow down to the Revelation in performance on a 5 spot.

Why all production bike seem to come speced with fox forks is starting to make me wonder....

Do yourself a favor and try a rock shox.

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    BehInd the no messages on TALAS is the more interesting comments that the Rock shox dampening is better. I have missed these comments for years until my latest bike came with a Revelation. Pushed vanilla 140, pushed Float 140, pre pushed float 140, vanilla 36 all of these bow down to the Revelation in performance on a 5 spot.

Why all production bike seem to come speced with fox forks is starting to make me wonder....

Do yourself a favor and try a rock shox.

Bob