mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which Fork for the Spot

Hi all, new to the Turner club, and was wondering which fork would be the most reccomended. I was thinking Marzocchi Z1light eta, manitou nixon elite, or RS pike 454. Any experience/knowledge greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bander119
    Hi all, new to the Turner club, and was wondering which fork would be the most reccomended. I was thinking Marzocchi Z1light eta, manitou nixon elite, or RS pike 454. Any experience/knowledge greatly appreciated.
    You can't go wrong with the new RS...I've really enjoyed my Revelation so far. My only word of caution is to SKIP THE REMOTE POPLOC - It's a real turd. I broke it in the 1st 10 min. & it really clutters up the handle bar- ESPECIALLY if you are running twisters.

I just had my fork converted so the compression dial is now on top of the fork leg (where it belongs) and now really love it. I do wonder how my bike would ride with the Pike, but for Austin, (and for now at least) the Revelation is fine.

I'll tell you that if you are finicky about how your fork feels, make sure you don't buy the Nixon with out trying it out first - I was test riding one and it felt really nice unitll you blow through its travel and can feel it bottoming out with a loud "thud"...I've read a few others comment on this too.

I haven't had the chance to check out ANY of the new Marzokes yet, they sure look beefy though.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ill second the Revelation.

Get it from universal cycles.....$390 with everything but poplock on the bars.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It depends on your riding style

I am riding a RS Revelation with the pop lock (don't go there as stated). I really like the new RS products. I kind of wish I would have went Pike but the model I would have like is almost $700. Ouch! Plus, you have build a 20mm front wheel. Kind of expensive. Nonetheless, the stiffness would be nice. I would recommend a Pike if you are a bombing technical riding freak. I'm a pretty cross country orientated guy who is nimble and soft riding most of the time. Call me a wimp. Go for it. The Revelation meets my needs and desires at a lower weight. All that said, a Marzocchi is a great choice. I would not put a 130-150 fork on a Spot. Just too big....a AM1 would be great with the ETA is fantastic! A gorgeous fork that can be bought for around $400. I would avoid the Manitou due to some inconsistancies in their quality assurance. One Manitou may ride perfect for years while another on is busted all the time. Lots of good choices.

Jaybo

PS chucksbikes.com is selling the 2000 Z1 for $120. You could try it and see if you like a taller fork on your Spot.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Stay away from the Nixon... I have one, and if I had to do over again, WOULDN'T. Nevertheless, it's probably best to balance out the front and rear. In other words, if you're running a coil shock (i.e. Romic), you would probably be happier w/a fork in its Coil version (i.e Fox Vanilla). Vice versa if using air shock. This was just a tip givin to me by my LBS, after I tried (unsuccessfully) to match my Romic shock w/a Nixon Platinum D@MN! If only I had supported my LBS, I'd saved a ton of time & money. Lesson learned.
    p.s. previous tips are right on point as well. Keep asking, you'll figure it out.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Both I (5Spot) and a pal (Flux) much prefer a slightly longer fork that originally spec'd for our respective steeds. It's not that the "correct" travel forks are bad but that the bike can still handle the longer stroke without many compromises i.e. climbing.

I've had a 130mm Pace fitted which was good but a 145mm Nixon feels so much better IMO. Part of this could be down to damping I suppose and I've found that I don't use the IT system much and would love to try a Pike, perhaps with U-Turn. The only problem is my front hub won't take the maxle so I'd have to factor in a new wheel too. On price alone the RS stands tall, in use they're damn fine unit's too; we've a Reba and Revelation in our midsts that are so nice. Mega adjustable too.

Sparky has a good point about the Manitou's, they're defo hit and miss. Mine's been fixed twice in the 9months I've had it but last time it was fitted with redesinged guts which "should" resolve the earlier issues. Fingers crossed.

Good luck !
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey Farqui, I am currently running an 80mm manitou lightweight fork on my flux. I know what you are thinking, but I am poor the amount the frame cost me, and I was gagging to ride it, so I borrowed a fork of a old bike. Anyway I was thinking about a Pace rc39, mainly because of the weight. Are you saying you would go with something with longer travel for the flux??

I have been recommened a Magura Ronin by poshbikes in the UK, becasue they have 110mm of travel and apparently allow the wheels to track the hollows better becase you set a bit more sag into the fork. More "droop" in race car terms. What do you all think.

Jonathan
    P.S sorry to go a bit O.T

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny69
    Hey Farqui, I am currently running an 80mm manitou lightweight fork on my flux. I know what you are thinking, but I am poor the amount the frame cost me, and I was gagging to ride it, so I borrowed a fork of a old bike. Anyway I was thinking about a Pace rc39, mainly because of the weight. Are you saying you would go with something with longer travel for the flux??

I have been recommened a Magura Ronin by poshbikes in the UK, becasue they have 110mm of travel and apparently allow the wheels to track the hollows better becase you set a bit more sag into the fork. More "droop" in race car terms. What do you all think.

Jonathan
    P.S sorry to go a bit O.T
    Ronin is by far not the plushest... Thereby, the 110 versions had problems with stiction, because their upper legs could move around just too much.

Reba of Fox Float is always the better choice

Mexican e-rider

Revelation

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread but what settings are you running on your Revelations.
    I have the dual air and can't get to the recommended sag without an absurdly low pressure

Thanks
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread but what settings are you running on your Revelations.
    I have the dual air and can't get to the recommended sag without an absurdly low pressure

Thanks
    Have you tried increasing the pressure in the negative chamber? Also, on my dual air PIKE I am below the recommended pressure in the positive in order to get the fork to ride well. I also slowly increased the pressures as I was breaking it in.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Z1 Light will probably be the stiffest. It definatelly is stiffer than the PIKE. I have no experience with Nixons but people report Shermans to be stiffer than Z1s and the Nixons are close siblings. If you go the Nixon route, stay clear of the Infinite Travel. A good fork to experiment with would be the Jenson blowout Nixon. Either the $199 Comp or the $269 Elite. Elite offers the Rapid Travel Wind Down, Manitou's version of the ETA which drops 30mm of travel for better climbing geometry. Very tasty fork for the money. TPC damped. Good chasis to learn tuning on too, you can mess with the shim stack, you can get the TPC+ damper, etc.

Z1 Light at 130mm is as tall as the PIKE at 140mm. Running the PIKE at around 130mm gives the Spot the most neutral handling characteristic I have thus far experienced. When I ran a Vanilla 130 in the front, the bike felt XC biased, in retrospect, the ZAM1 (identical a2c) it definatelly gave the bike downhill bias whereas the PIKE fits right in the middle. I can raise it up to 140mm for that same handling charactersitic as the Z1 or drop it a little lower to mimic the Vanilla. I do miss my ZAM1, however, on rough steep trails.

Another fork to consider is the DUC. It takes a lot of effort to dial it in, but once you do, it is an incredible fork. If the air negative spring mod ever comes to life, I'll be putting it back on as I find it a tad too tall at full extension for general riding, it is very similar to the Z1 in that respect.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Z1 Light will probably be the stiffest. It definatelly is stiffer than the PIKE.
    Ok, lets see the data on that one.

I have both (actually a few of each), all about the same age and mileage, and I'd give the stiffness edge to the Pikes.

The Pike is undoubtedly the best all-around fork for the Spot. Get the Air U-Turn.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Ok, lets see the data on that one.

I have both (actually a few of each), all about the same age and mileage, and I'd give the stiffness edge to the Pikes.
    No data. I am surprised that you think so. Maybe your Z1s are a bit more beat up? Or maybe my feel-o-meter is busted. In any case, this is just my opinion.

The Pike is undoubtedly the best all-around fork for the Spot. Get the Air U-Turn.
    That I most definatelly agree with.

_MK

Baked Alaskan
    Just an FYI -- there are plenty of brand new '05 Pike Air Team models floating around Ebay in the $350 range, some with the poploc and some without. Since its an '05 its not a u-turn, so you have to use the spacer to bounce between 130 and 140mm. But for the $$$ its tough to beat.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Just an FYI -- there are plenty of brand new '05 Pike Air Team models floating around Ebay in the $350 range, some with the poploc and some without. Since its an '05 its not a u-turn, so you have to use the spacer to bounce between 130 and 140mm. But for the $$$ its tough to beat.
    I have a dual air PIKE and found no adverse effects to controlling the extension with the negative pressure. I only dropped ~10mm off the 140mm max, so no extreme pressures, but I didn't find the spacer to be necessary.

_MK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pike vote

I've researched this extensively and just picked up a never used 05 Pike Dual Air in the MTBR classifieds for $375 including shipping costs. You'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck. I have a convertible front hub between QR and 20 mm so a new wheel is not an issue. If you have to get a new front hub you may want to consider one that is convertible like Mavic, Hope, Azonic just in case you want to switch back at some point down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Another fork to consider is the DUC. It takes a lot of effort to dial it in, but once you do, it is an incredible fork. If the air negative spring mod ever comes to life, I'll be putting it back on as I find it a tad too tall at full extension for general riding, it is very similar to the Z1 in that respect.

_MK
    What is the proposed negative air spring mod? I am guessing from your comment that it lowers the forks ride height? thanks

mtbr member
    Pike dual air for the Spot, is a good combination.
    The Pike is a lot stiffer than the Nixon (with 20mm Thru axle) and gives a great deal of confidence to the front end when entering and tracking through corners.
    It also takes rocks /steps/boulders in it's stride and has an excellent range of adjustments,
    and on top of all that it is cheap (compared to the competion)

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimtech
    What is the proposed negative air spring mod? I am guessing from your comment that it lowers the forks ride height? thanks
    Currently the negative spring is made out of a coil.

_MK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback, I currently have a fox vanilla for it, but was wanting something with a thru-axle, and thought I would poke around and see what some opinions are. I have crossmax xl, so the front hub is no problem. Has anyone tried both a coil and an air pike? I am a heavyer rider (230or so) and have always had better luck/performance with coils. But if air is as good as coil on the pike, might be willing to try it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I've owned both the coil and the air Pike and find the air to be considerably more adjustable (including bottoming resistance), it weighs less, and is no less plush. A win-win-win.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I've owned both the coil and the air Pike and find the air to be considerably more adjustable (including bottoming resistance), it weighs less, and is no less plush. A win-win-win.
    I concur. I still have a coil on my DJ/Urban bike with xtra stiff springs. I like the coil due to the fact that it can be dropped all the way down to 95mm, whereas air only to 110 with U-Turn. i find little excessive brake dive with the air and it definatelly ramps up on bigger hits unlike the coil.

_MK

Members who have read this thread: 0