Fork Question!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork Question!

Fork Question!

Well, I just ordered a Minute 3 for the Five Spot. Does anyone here have one of these forks, and if so, do you like it? It will be replacing a 04 Z1 Freeride. It seemed like the Z1 was pretty tall and made the climbs more difficult (even in the 4" setting). Additionally, the Minute is supposed to be about a pound lighter, and after a whole semester of barely riding, I need all the help I can get!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've gone the opposite direction from Minute 2 to Z1 FR 04 ETA version. The Minute in 130mm form is almost as tall as the Z1. You can't adjust the travel on the fly with the Minute you need to get off the bike and adjust it, on the Z1 just flick the ETA lever while still riding to drop the travel, flick again at the top of the climb.
    On the weight issue there is a clear winner, the Z1 FR is at least 5.3lbs the Minute three is 4lb or possibly slightly less.
    The Minute is a stiff fork which works well on big to medium hits on the smaller stuff it get's very fidgety and lacks response, but Manitou have a new damping cartridge to improve things for '05 SPV forks. It also skips about on climbs for the same reasons. It does seem to help with brake dive though and holds the front up well on descents keeping the H/A slacker which can make it feel more stable. The air sprung version seems better than a coil sprung option as you can tune the ride more, I've tried the SPV Sherman Firefly and couldn't get the spring rate low enough for me, 160lbs FYI.
    The Z1 is going to last forever though, it's stiffer, tougher, and much better on small stuff and works very well on the bigger hits too. The Sherman is more of a comparison than a Minute though, I would say the Minute was pitched against Fox Forx, and RS Psylo's, etc.
    Myself I prefer the fully active option and durability of the Z1, I don't find the extra weight that big of a problem either but my last FS bike came in at 36lbs or so. My 5Spot is around 30-32lb now and it still rides great

Thanks...

For the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    I've gone the opposite direction from Minute 2 to Z1 FR 04 ETA version. The Minute in 130mm form is almost as tall as the Z1. You can't adjust the travel on the fly with the Minute you need to get off the bike and adjust it, on the Z1 just flick the ETA lever while still riding to drop the travel, flick again at the top of the climb.
    On the weight issue there is a clear winner, the Z1 FR is at least 5.3lbs the Minute three is 4lb or possibly slightly less.
    The Minute is a stiff fork which works well on big to medium hits on the smaller stuff it get's very fidgety and lacks response, but Manitou have a new damping cartridge to improve things for '05 SPV forks. It also skips about on climbs for the same reasons. It does seem to help with brake dive though and holds the front up well on descents keeping the H/A slacker which can make it feel more stable. The air sprung version seems better than a coil sprung option as you can tune the ride more, I've tried the SPV Sherman Firefly and couldn't get the spring rate low enough for me, 160lbs FYI.
    The Z1 is going to last forever though, it's stiffer, tougher, and much better on small stuff and works very well on the bigger hits too. The Sherman is more of a comparison than a Minute though, I would say the Minute was pitched against Fox Forx, and RS Psylo's, etc.
    Myself I prefer the fully active option and durability of the Z1, I don't find the extra weight that big of a problem either but my last FS bike came in at 36lbs or so. My 5Spot is around 30-32lb now and it still rides great

mtbr member
    just baught a Maverick off the classifieds...sorry, I had to tell someone!

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    just baught a Maverick off the classifieds...sorry, I had to tell someone!
    Smart move. You will not be disappointed. It'll become your favorite part on your bike. Be prepared for everybody you meet on the trail to ask questions about it. Here are the answers:

-no it's not a DH fork
    -it's lighter than yours, much lighter
    -it's also way stiffer than yours
    -Yes, it's made by "that guy" who started RockShox

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    -Yes, it's made by "that guy" who started RockShox

Enjoy!
    really? i didn't know that...

the only thing i'm abit sceptical about is having the sanction tubes on the bottom. worried they will get beat up, but i guess not...?

and kinda bummed I will need to give up my thompson stem...probly stupid, but I spent alot on it.

I had to tell someone here cause i sure as hell couldn't tell my wife I just spent $XXX (just in case she reads this) on a new fork.

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    I was considering a Minute myself, Given that I weigh under 140 I might have a problem getting enough small bump sensitivity, might have to wait until the 05 forks come out or go with a Talas.

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    I was considering a Minute myself, Given that I weigh under 140 I might have a problem getting enough small bump sensitivity, might have to wait until the 05 forks come out or go with a Talas.
    Check with Steve or TJ at Maverick. Christina Begy rides their fork now, and there's no way she weighs over 130.

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambone
    really? i didn't know that...

the only thing i'm abit sceptical about is having the sanction tubes on the bottom. worried they will get beat up, but i guess not...?

and kinda bummed I will need to give up my thompson stem...probly stupid, but I spent alot on it.

I had to tell someone here cause i sure as hell couldn't tell my wife I just spent $XXX (just in case she reads this) on a new fork.
    They now include stanchion guards, which are big enough for a Bad Cop! No Donut! bumper sticker. Seriously there's no way you're going to bash them with a rock, unless you're maybe going backwards. You'd rip off your disc brake before anything.

Don't worry about the stem. I gave up a RaceFace Deus and the Maverick setup is way stiffer, not to mention lighter.

Tell her it's the last fork you'll ever buy. Then hope she won't remember 2-3 years from now Any other ideas, married dudes out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    Tell her it's the last fork you'll ever buy. Then hope she won't remember 2-3 years from now Any other ideas, married dudes out there?
    Didn't you explain to your wife that the Maverick fork is only $200.