Fork Options for HL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fork Options for HL?

Well.....the new HL frame is about to arrive for my gf, and now I need to find the parts for it! I dont want to bias any answers by giving my opinion first, but what are the viable fork options for the HL? This will be her Shore bike and she weighs about 120lbs all geared up! Just want to see if I am overlooking anything...

Cheers

Buzz

AW_
    locked - time out

forks

Shore bike... hmmm... hang on I am trying to read your mind: Totem?

I'm going to start with an 06 888RC2 on mine with a low profile headset. But, I think a big singlecrown would be sweet too.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I can confirm an '07 66 RC2X is the mutts nuts. Not sure I'd want to risk an '08 RC3 so I guess that leaves Totem.

banned
    I know nothing of them, but I can recommend with total certainty the BOS fork. You heard it from this Homer first. Mark my words. I'm getting in on it early and I want the credit.

Outcast
    She is 120 pounds all geared up?
    Monster T!

mtbr member
    I'm still in amazement you boys find girls who ride HLs and DHRs; here in the Bay Area girls ride road bikes in the mountains...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You have to remember that there is no real XC where he and his GF live. His back yard is the North Shore...

that's why I'm coming to visit in a few weeks

PS - I second the Monster T Buzz!
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    WOO! An unexpected surprise to show you the trails again! Looking forward to it BL...

Why stop at a Monster T? Why stop at 8 inches when you can have 12?? I was thinking more along the lines of a Super Monster!!!

All jokes aside, thanks for the feedback.......but it looks like a Totem Solo Air is the only real choice.

As for finding girls who ride HL's and DHR's (or other big bikes), you really need to come to Vancouver/Whistler My gf has been rockin' her XCE on the Shore for 4+ yrs now and it has done its time. She wasnt sure if she 'needed' a bigger bike, but our recent trip to Baldface/Nelson/Vernon finally pushed her over the edge. Time to stop beating it up (and her in the process) and get down to some HL business...

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    Tell her she can "girl" up the Totem with "girly" stickers too...

Am jealous of y'all up there. If McCain wins the presidency, then I'll become your neighbor in no time!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I'm still in amazement you boys find girls who ride HLs and DHRs; here in the Bay Area girls ride road bikes in the mountains...
    I hear that

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Well.....the new HL frame is about to arrive for my gf, This will be her Shore bike and she weighs about 120lbs all geared up! Just want to see if I am overlooking anything...

Cheers

Buzz
    Slightly different take from me here, if its her shore bike and being such a lightweight a big burly fork might make it a little hard for her I'm guessing I dunno, but if it were me and the gf said you sort me out!

I'd be looking at a Boxxer WC air, get the weight down provide as much stability as possible and a fork she can get full travel with but giving her confidence, girls don't have the upper body strength so stability in a fork over stiffness would be my objective and damping for her weight!

jmo lucky girl enjoy, ps hate you

kidding

chur
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Hey TA,

I appreciate the feedback! I do want to keep it fairly light for her, but her XCE is running 32lbs right now so she wont really notice the extra 5-8lbs of the HL I bet The Boxxer was a consideration (as I ride one on my RFX), but there are a few things going against it for her.

1. A Boxxer WC is MUCH more expensive than a Totem Solo Air
    2. A Boxxer WC is listed as heavier than a Totem Solo Air (6.2lbs vs 5.9 lbs) - take that with a grain of salt, either way there wont be a much weight savings
    3. Boxxer limits your ability for sharp slow turns (of which there are many on the Shore!) and she will be happier with the freedom of a SC.

I think there was something else, but dont remember it right now...

Cheers

Buzz

~~~~~~~~
    I'm loving the Boxxer Team. Running a full stack headset and like the slightly slacker HT angle, and especially the more progressive feel of the fork. My Totem is pretty hosed so I'm going to rebuild it and give it another try.

I think Rock Shox offers the best options for tuning a fork for a lighter rider.

What did you end up with for a rear shock?

mtbr member
    Hey AW

It hasnt actually arrived yet (I rush home each day in hopes of seeing the tag on the door), but Turner shipped it with a 300lb spring on the DHX 5.0. I am thinking that it will be OK for a start. I discovered that I can get a 250lb spring if need be, so I am hoping to be able to live with the DHX for awhile at least!
    I love my Boxxer too (Boxxer Ride - U-turn!), was your Totem a coil or air? I dont think she is going to be able to do anything with a coil as there likely wont be a spring light enough for her. She rocks the PIKE 454 Air U-turn on her XCE now and it is superb.

Buzz

trail fairy
    Good points Buzz, I like ya choice on solo air out of the Totem models seems solo air is one of the best out of Totem and Lyrik
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Kind of wish they did some sort of U-turn ( I know that the 2-Step is a bust) to make the grinds up a bit easier, but it doesnt look like that fork exists out there right now!

Buzz

~~~~~~~~
    I have a extra soft totem spring that I'll give you if you want to go coil. I've been on a soft but might go to the medium. She might even be okay with the soft.

I wonder if the Totem air might have a more progressive feel than the coil, always been curious but have never tried one.

Good to hear on the rear springs, getting the front and rear suspension balanced is key.

mtbr member
    Air> How's the dual crown affecting turn agility in the skinnies?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Air> How's the dual crown affecting turn agility in the skinnies?
    tail whip!
    which you're going to need to do anyway with a single crown if it's that tight and slow.
    The only disadvantage of the dual crown that I can come up with is no X-ups.

mtbr member
    Hey Buzz,

my votes would be for an 06/07 66, or a Totem.

Hisforever
    As a die hard coil fan, i cant seem to understand why everyone likes airforks. i have never come across one i liked very well. coil just works better imo.

Totem Coil Vote here,

Pink & Purple Totem. Coil.

weight of a component should be less important than performance of a component.

mtbr member
    I've somewhat in the same boat with fork choice for my HL. (I've got a HL and RFX both enroute thanks to the clearance sale.)

I've got a 06 170mm 66 RC2X that was on my Nomad, that I was going to put on the RFX, and was really wanting an 07 180mm 66 RC2X for the Highline.

Not sure how the 170mm 66 would do on the HL being a shorter AtC height, but my concern is that both frames will have CCDB's on them (long story), so both bikes would have an almost identical fork/shock combo, so maybe too much overlap?

But if I threw the 170mm 66 on the HL, not sure what fork I'd go with for the RFX. The current 160 fork options don't thrill me. I went through 5 Lyriks last fall (all warranty,) Fox has crap customer service, and I'm not touching a new Marz until their QA issues are sorted.

What to do...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Not sure if Zilla is still rocking his 170mm 06 on his Highline, but I know how much I like my 07 RC2X on mine.

mtbr member
    I agree coil is the ideal. But at her weight, I am scared that even the softest of springs will be too firm! I am going to see what I can find locally. If a coil comes up, I have a source (airwreck) for an xtrasoft spring that might fit the bill...

If I painted it pink she would likely kill me......she doesnt understand (and I agree) why all 'womens' mtb products have to be pink/purple and contain flowers?

The frame showed up yesterday and she was very excited! The candy blue is better in person than in pics for sure.....!

Cheers

Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-14-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    She is 120 pounds all geared up?
    Monster T!
    Word, somehow you have to keep that front end down because the highline just wants to claw it's way uphill.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0