forced to clean up shop- Mtbr.com
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Listen! forced to clean up shop

ok guys and goils. a hard and quite serious question to ask. lets say ya had a ton of bills stackin up and not enough income presently to keep up, much less catch up. hell, not even enough in the acct to buy a friggin mtbr ad. then lets all assume ya had 4 bikes, 3 of them turners, that would bring a good price, ok? now allow the assumptoin that we sell a beautiful '03 homegrown hardtail along with 1 of the followin so ya didnt lose yer ass:

* '96 med burner w/ original 2.75" & 3.6" rockers, alps 5r & float rl shocks & 2 rear tri's, 1 a '96, 1 'a 97. serial # 01 - frame or entire bike built retro style.
    * 02 med rfx w/ '05 pack rear tri. 5" 'A' & 6" pack rockers w/ ava & dhxc, very low miles - frame or entire bike w/ 5" &/or 6" parts.
    * '05 med flux. low miles - frame or entire bike.

if you were in such a position, what do ya think you would do? maybe ask folks to pm or email ya with suggestions or a request for specs and pics perhaps? that sounds like a good idea to me. im sure ya wouldnt wanna break any rules by postin any kinda spam.

ps: its not april folks. its not april at all.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 09-05-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Least utility goes first. The one that covers the most terrain doesn't go at all.

No, that's not phonetic
    Nostalgia is not worth much $$, so you may as well keep the Burner as you won't get anything for it. The RFX is probably worth the most, and probably suits your local riding less than the Flux. I'd sell the RFX. If you have the patience, I would part it out. You make a lot more cheddar that way.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Now with flavor!!
    Word.

Farewell snaabbann or whatever the hell it's called.

The last bike I keep will ALWAYS be the xc bike.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Outcast
    Geez CC, tell us you're fockin with us again. Pimp yourself out. Sell your blood. Rob convenience stores. Sell things that someone else owns. Or:
    Move out of the state and get a new identity. We won't rat you out.

involuntary dismounter
    donate sperm!

and i concur with keeping the flux over the rfx!...just in case you actually care what i think!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Nostalgia is not worth much $$, so you may as well keep the Burner as you won't get anything for it. The RFX is probably worth the most, and probably suits your local riding less than the Flux. I'd sell the RFX. If you have the patience, I would part it out. You make a lot more cheddar that way.

I disagree. What is the point of having both a burner and a flux? I would keep dissimilar and the flux would go...

Unfortunately for your finances CC, I can only offer you $600 for the frame
    Last edited by mtn hack; 09-05-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I agree that you will probably get the most money for the RFX. I also agree that the Flux probably better suits your terrain. However, with 5" and 6" rockers the RFX will be able to do whatever you want to do (I'm assuming a little bit here). It may be a little heftier on the XC rides, but you can still ride the RFX on those trails. I would keep the bike with the most versatility. I don't think the Flux or Burner are as versatile as the RFX. Like everything else in life, I guess it all comes down to priorities.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the troubles CC. I've been there. If its about cash, that darn flux it seems is the hard $ reality. The others will still roll, and they're still fun. I was riding my '92 frame till a few months ago when my Spot arrived, then just the other day I parted with it (hardtail stumpjumper that was made right down the road, not overseas) because I live in a box and didn't want to decorate the walls with a frame.

Once the cash is confident you can always go big another time, but till then think about just riding the other bikes, and remember you at least still get to ride.

Good luck, hope it doesn't take long to work out.
    -kcav

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    now allow the assumptoin that we sell a beautiful '03 homegrown hardtail along with 1 of the followin
    I think I'd sell the Flux, as well as the DHX and big fork (66 is it?) from the RFX. That would leave you with a 3.6" and 5" bike, both classics in their own right. The Flux probably needs a few more years before it achieves that designation. Good luck.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

well what if i was just contacted about sellin the flux? hmmm. this sux so badly im not shure what i want to go 1st as long as i hang onto it or the SPaaNB/rfx. the flux is indeed more suited to my local dirt but the rfx is a ton of fun anywhere, here included so im on the fence as to which i would care to keep. the burner is cool but not as nice a ride as the flux. it would be my clear 1st choice from a non emotional standpoint. emotionally it would kill me to see it go.

mtn hack: i hope yer only kiddin me. just cuz im behind the 8 ball doesnt men im a friggin idiot.
    renny: no pal. its for real. a guy can only cry wolf 1 time.
    dharriet: are you askin me out?

gotta run. here come the emails. wish me luck, or hand me a friggin gun so i can shoot myself.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Food,heat,lights and a roof over your head? Nah it's over rated don't sell anything....for what it's worth bro,your not the only one in this suck sinking ship called life. GOOD LUCK. It will pass.

Now with flavor!!
    well what if i was just contacted about sellin the flux? hmmm. this sux so badly im not shure what i want to go 1st as long as i hang onto it or the SPaaNB/rfx. the flux is indeed more suited to my local dirt but the rfx is a ton of fun anywhere, here included so im on the fence as to which i would care to keep. the burner is cool but not as nice a ride as the flux. it would be my clear 1st choice from a non emotional standpoint. emotionally it would kill me to see it go.

mtn hack: i hope yer only kiddin me. just cuz im behind the 8 ball doesnt men im a friggin idiot.
    renny: no pal. its for real. a guy can only cry wolf 1 time.

gotta run. here come the emails. wish me luck, or hand me a friggin gun so i can shoot myself.

Sell the flux right now.

It's money in hand.

I hear there's more than one in the world when you're ready to buy another one.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

banned
    The SPaaNB is the special bike. It's also the bike that won't limit your riding. As good as the Flux is, it's replaceable.

im thinkin miles, woo and jc are right. lets just see how it goes. thanx for the words fred. we havent talked since the big day. its good to have ya back. this really sux and i think i know how joker feels at the moment.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 09-05-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Sorry to hear about the hard times cc.
    Listen you only need one bike. Seems to me one that suits the majority of your riding would be the best choice but honestly flexibility always reigns supreme in my mind. Keep the spnaab and you can tweak it for whatever you prefer, meanwhile you can get more money for the Flux, and supplement it with the other bikes. It's sad to break up a stable but then you'll have the fun of rebuilding it later on when the grass is greener.

Best of luck to you brah, hang tough.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If I recall, you live where the hills aren't too huge, and you only race occasionally for fun and the scene.

If true, the RFX spans everything from snappy xc (crank up the preload fer chrissakes) to the big love-fest coming up in Utah and CO.

Esp with an offer pending on the Flux, sell that thing, and don't dilly-dally. The time of year (umm, winter) where buyers assume they can steal stuff is quickly approaching!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Being that youre one of the last people who convinced me to get the Flux who still HAVE the Flux, I want you to keep THAT bike for my own selfish reasons.

But seriously...you wax poetic about that bike MUCH more than any other in your stable. Your talk of that frame sold a lot of folks on it, including myself. Think about that.

A lot of folks are giving you different opinions on what THEY would do. Rule #1 of buying a bike frame: Dont ask people what THEY would do!

YOU are not THEY.

Do whats right for YOU. What kind of riding do YOU do the most? Sorry..."flexibility" doesnt cut it, IMHO. For example, what good is a bike that will handle drops when one doesnt DO drops? Conversely, what good is a bike suited for climbing when one refuses to ride somewhere that doesnt require a lift pass?
    Last edited by Rouleur321; 09-05-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Never enough time to ride
    Man, sorry your hurtin so bad.

Given the choice I think I'd keep the Spaanb, and the Burner and sell your Flux, and the Homey. I know you love the Flux, but the Burner's not gonna pull that much for ya, and your too attached to that frame. The Spaanb is far to versatile to get rid of, though it would pull a pretty penny.

If there's anything I can help with give me a scream, you got my number, and there are a few brews in the fridge. The apartments a bit of a mess but the door is open and the beer is free. I don't have much but I'll do my best.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Which one do you ride the most? Without knowing that, I'd say sell the RFX and the Burner. If you had a Spot, I'd say keep the Spot as the one do-it-all bike. The Flux is one I really like and I love the Spot as well. Those are my favorite Turners so the Flux get my keep-it vote. I love riding that bike.

~~~~~~~~
    CC, you've been granted immunity, spaam away.

At least your not like me and trying to sell a bunch of thrashed stuff.

I vote for selling the flux.

we're cheering for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Man, I'm sorry to hear about the tough times, CC. I know you were putting everything into your recent venture, which kinda left you out to dry. Starting over again from scratch or in the hole sucks, and I admire the positive attitude you always seem to keep.

Probably a dumb question, but do you have anything else you can afford to sell other than your bikes? If not, and if you don't have any other options, I'd probably sell the Flux. I don't say that lightly because I can't imagine parting with mine, but it seems like the best choice for you. The Burner and its sentimental value are irreplaceable, and you won't get much for it. It's not as good as the Flux, but it will more than cover you in the XC department. The RFX fills out the other end of the spectrum and keeps your riding options open. Hard to imagine giving it up, but the Flux is replaceable and will net you the most cash without cutting out any riding options.

Best of luck in the lean times. Not sure what I can do from here in Tejas, but let me know.

mtbr member
    It's an oooollld Burner - not the precedent to the Flux. Cheese is right, it won't get you much money.

Keep the Flux. Sell the RFX (and some of that moto-X gear). Heck, the Flux will work anywhere, but especially where you ride. You might just have to go a little slower on the downhills on the trips out west, but you can ride everything with that bike.

Good luck CC.

... I guess you won't be
    CC - at least you have a turner you can actually ride.....at least one.....

trail fairy
    Sorry to hear CC I have another option

Sell the Business

Get a real job and build some trails in them there mountains and go ride all day

serioulsy though

Id sell Burner and Flux ya can always get an XC machine any day and theres plenty of good ones cheap when business is better.

RFX though hard to replace

Also not that Im the best accountant in the world but I'd start running a tight ship track everything and if possible invest in some technology that can save time account accurately and keep ya ahead of the game, I deal with merchants everyday and this is where they fall down, the days of cash in vs cash out is gone.

Ya need some good systems in place no matter how small or big ya are..

POS integration to payment etc is one area that can simplify your business then a payment system to keep ya on track with ya suppliers would be the go, ya never want to get behind with them no matter how bad they can be.

Hope all goes well dude, hang in there do a little at a time and it will come right faster than you realise without having to sell everything..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Alaska Turner Mafia
    CC, do you have to sell? Have you considered a pawn shop until you regain some income? Crap, sell the truck and ride all year long!

If you have to sell at all, it sounds like someday you'd like to replace the sold bike, so sell the Flux. That will probably fetch a nice sum for now, plus they'll be out there for purchase easily enough in the months ahead. If you sold the SPaaNB now, you'd have a tough time replacing it sometime in the future. Besides, the SPaaNB allows you the most versatility to ride the varied terrain around the country until the Flux gets replaced.

Sorry to hear you're in a jam like this, best o' luck, I've got my fingers crossed for ya,
    Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    CC - I always enjoy your posts.
    Hope you and yours can get out of the hole.

good luck man

~~~~~~~~
    looks like keeping the rfx has a slight lead at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    looks like keeping the rfx has a slight lead at this point.
    yeah, and the more i think on it the more it makes sense. surprised theres not much interest yet other than 1 guys emails and no offer. maybe hellbay is my next step. thanx all. this too shall pass.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think maybe people just don't believe you CC. Boy who cried wolf and all that. If true I'm sorry for your position, but would agree you could sell the flux and replace it when you have more $. Personally though, I'd sell the wife...

Unfortunately the Flux and RFX are now available cheaper anyway. Have you got a big record collection you could ebay, or something other than bikes??

i hear ya. i made my bed back in april and now i gotta re up my anti-wolf membership card. i assure ya its all quite true.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    anti wolf membership lol.
    Best of luck CC, but I'd keep the SPaaNB, it's more unique than the flux and more versatile, plus you get big air with it, albeit in CC units!!

thanx pal. to add a little credit to this sad tale, heres what went down in order. bought a new car, accepted job offer, trained replacement, changed jobs, left job due to poor circumstanses, invested time into buyin a business, sale never develops, no shop/on air jobs available, slow movin job market, workin p/t for 30% of previous hourly rate.

now with a car payment added to the standard list of previous bills along with higher ins. and reg. payments, things got ugly fast.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    At least you can take comfort in the fact that you did go for the gamble and tried your best. Small comfort but at the very least you had the balls to go for it.
    Good on ya CC!
    Big Up!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    keep the SPaaNB
    Whats with the 'SPaaNB' moniker?

SPaaNB: explained

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Whats with the 'SPaaNB' moniker?
    Six Pack and a Nickle Bag. it reflects its ability to go back n forth between a 5" and 6" bike. i thought it was pretty clever when we were brainstormin at work one day. took 3 of us to come up with than name.
    No, I'm NOT back!

were still workin on it but confidence is not high. the current owners dont wanna hand over the financials and tax docs. makes it hard to see what its worth or get the bank on board. so it on to plan b. im not done tryin yet pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

not so super...
    We all need to help CC out. Here is how: http://www.krispykreme.com/fund.html

Dewd, this sucks. If I had to let one of those go it would be the Flux. If it had to be 2, now that would be a tough choice, but the Burner would stay.

Hope things come around your way quickly.
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    I can only see the seller's reluctance of disclosure as an effort to withold facts that would otherwise disuade you or at the very least have a profound effect on the sale price.
    -Proceed very carefully-
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

yeah. we found that out in a cpl different areas already. with the good help of a few folks on this board, ive learned enough to keep from screwin it up and gettin screwed back. the good news is we didnt catch this fish as the lake was about to freeze over for the winter. if it were to go down, the timing of a spring purchase will be far better.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...it just seems so obviousl to me; DUDE! Sell the car

rr
    I don't do PC
    Don't sell the RFX that is a sweet rig. Your an XC guy at heart though, you need some kind of fast XC machine too, especially with your local terrain. Tough one CC, you will want the RFX for Utah too correct?

How's the Burner running? Could you sell the Flux and use the Burner for XC duties? I guess the RFX in nickle bag mode would make for a nice trail bike too, maybe you could sell the big fork and wheels and rebuild it for "six pack" mode later? The Homegrown ain't gonna go for much, maybe you hang onto that and make it your winter beater.

Sounds like the Flux will bring top dollar and might be the best option, shame though cause thats an ideal bike for you and your terrain, of course the Burner would be too.

BTW, if this trip ain't in the cards I'm all good with that

involuntary dismounter
    i thought we already established that i wasn't into old dudes with missing front teeth?

anyway, looks like the flux is going. sorry about that. i know how much you love that bike!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

the car stays. transpo for me, the family, odus and the bikes is primary. besides, its a new loan. id be lucky to pay it off. if i was single and i was deeper into the payments, it would be a no brainer. thanx jnc.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. yeah, the rfx is gonna be needed for utah. when i spoke to dt about all this yesterday he also suggested the SPaaNB go and borrow his rfx. then he said he wouldnt be in sg till day 2. then i got a bite on the flux and alls well so far. nuthin firm yet. also, i made a commitment to you and squish i intend on keepin. thats also primary.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    i thought we already established that i wasn't into old dudes with missing front teeth?

anyway, looks like the flux is going. sorry about that. i know how much you love that bike!
    but im so young at heart and my man boobs are even close to bein fully developed! give a old guy a chance will ya?

yeah. its just sad. i was tellin candycorn last night that this just makes my stomach turn. she even offered to "buy" it from me and sell it back when i was solvent again. how sweet! well that was untill i told her how much it was worth. plus this is my issue and shes been enough help thus far. to her credit she begged me not to sell my turners. she knows how much i love her and my bikes. like i told joker, its just stuff. ill get over it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

update

nuthins in stone yet but if the flux frame goes to this cat im talkin to, chances are real good theres gonna be a ton of almost new xtr and assorted bits available very soon. check my flux spec post or email me for a list of more current parts as theres been a few changes and some deletions too.

and i cant say it enough. you guys are super supportive and very understanding specially after last aprils little joke. my hats off to ya all for not tearin me apart here. the oppertunity was more than available. special thanx to one particular island dweller for his help on this thread. not sure where the free pass came from but its huge.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I need a crankset for my Burner, I was gonna buy the XT version after our trip but the XTR would work fine , I think my buds are about to boycott riding with me cause the XT octalink won't shutup, they ask me which bike I'm riding before they commit to the ride

ill let ya know if this guy goes forth with the frame. ge-hed and pm me a offer. ill put ya #1 on the list for the cranks but the delivery cost is gonna kill ya! hehe.

hey, ya know the good news? room for all 3 bikes on the roof now! weeeeeeeeee!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    CC - just picked up this thread - sorry to hear about your woes compadre. There'll be a few custom silver Hornitos margaritas waiting in Fruita for ya. Bikes are transient things, as much as we love them, they come and go. If it were me, I'd keep the SPaaNB, ride it like hell, cash out the others and call it a day. Sometimes I think about which bike I'd keep if it had to come down to just one, and the Spot always takes the prize over all of 'em. Seems like the SPaaNB is pretty close to the same type of perfect all arounder. "When you get to the end of your rope, just tie a knot and hang on."
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

good words my friend. that quote is golden. may i? or should we offer it to joker?

i like mine without salt, thank you very much. mouth is waterin at the thought of my 1st sample of that nectar. see ya soon.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ta. the sale/purchase of the business has yet to be. but once its done you can count on a pos system and a computerized cash wrap with instant download. im all about productivity and accounting accuracy. i already have my hardware and software picked out. youll be proud of me pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Roy
    mtbr member
    I say sell the SPaaNB on the merit for arguably worst name for a bike of all time (I mean that ranks up there with Davide's "Spotty"). Now that being said, if you think you can get money for the Burner (which I doubt, per Ts comment, but you never know) I'd sell it.

Hang in there with the job situation - something good has to crack somewhere for you. Maybe AZ is calling you back so that 60 of your closest Turner buds (read: us) can all crash at your pad for an outing.

is this the end?

just got a firm offer on the flux frame. looks like its gone. however most of its parts are not. pm or email for a detailed list.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Toby Wong?
    just got a firm offer on the flux frame. looks like its gone. however most of its parts are not. pm or email for a detailed list.

yes, it's the end of sleepless nights and stomach crushing debt.

no biggie! lighten your load! David is gonna keep making bikes, eh?

Can you keep the Flux wheelset and use it on the SPannlalnalalalalalAB?

valliants, xtr hubs alloy nips and dt comps on the rfx? hmmmmmmmmmmm. wait. someone might expect me to climb well. screw that!

by the way folks, the SPaaNB and classic burner are now off the market. and i happen to think the name is friggin funny.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    ta. the sale/purchase of the business has yet to be. but once its done you can count on a pos system and a computerized cash wrap with instant download. im all about productivity and accounting accuracy. i already have my hardware and software picked out. youll be proud of me pa
    l.

Cool buddy already proud of ya its a big call to do what ya doing hang in there, I have my fingers crossed for ya if I lived over there I'd come and buy from you!

Be well and hope it comes good soon enjoy the gathering that will be a blast you'll get the good vibes from the boys, I know it really helps
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

... I guess you won't be
    I'll trade you a nice freshly painted spot frame for your RFX frame......

always keep the biggest burliest bike you got......you can always put a tu-tu on it for those light-flow XC dayz.......but, nothing excels like excess.....RFX all the way....buh-bye flux....

keep the burner, nobody will buy it for what its worth to you, or for that matter what it's really worth......you can't sell the old dog....
    Last edited by jokermtb; 09-06-2006 at 09:48 PM.

CC,
    Sorry you had to let a bike go, everyone else has already offered advice and consolences. I was just gonna say let it go, have a beer and move on...never let any of your stuff end up owning you.

Hope you turn it around soon, good luck.

Chris

banned
    See, I've said it before to anyone else thinking to same thing as CC. I was recently limited in my riding when I had the Flux. Took the cleaner lines, rolled down things, or even walked.

Cactuscorn was the one that told me that maybe the Flux wasn't the bike for me if I was doing this when buying time came around. The first ride on the RFX made me see he was 100% right. In contrast, I never find myself saying I wished I had the lighter bike, while on the Flux, I said I wished I had a bigger bike. One bike does it all for me now. More XCish? I just dial my All Mountain 1 into 130 mode and hammer.

parts is parts

things are startin to sell fast. just sold the cassette, f der, cranks and carbon h/set spacers along with the frame and ti bolt kit. still plenty left, most in original packaging i think. those buyin it up will tell ya im bein quite fair with my prices. not makin any money here, just tryin to recover some of my investment. i will ship oversees if yer willin to pay the costs. pms and emails only please. both in my profile.

thanx yet again for all the kind thoughts. if ya ever find yerself in a spot like this, tossers right, dont let this shite own ya. theres always more stuff waitin for ya around the bend. sure helps when ya have more bikes in the stable. if this was it, i might not be so good about it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0