mtbr member

Flux w/ DW suspension frame - who has the lightest build out there?

I got to demo the Flux at IB 2009, I was completely blown away by the bike. I could'nt look at any other bike anymore but the FLUX. It's on top of my list for 2010 racing season. I was wondering if anybody has built the Flux w DW link suspension in the mid to high 22lbs range? Im sold if it can be built to that range. It may not be as light as the 20-21 XC bikes out there but the pedaling and suspension performance makes up for it, plus, taking 10lbs of belly fat from my body would make a more drastic improvement anyway Thanks in advance.

Moosehead
    OP, would be interested to hear what bikes you're coming from and more detail from your demo ride. Also helpful to know your trail preferences, rider weight, intended use, etc.

We've seen sub 24 lbs DW's, and the pro kit on the Turner site shows 23 lbs. You could probably go lower but it'll cost you to do the titanium bits, aluminum rotors, 100g saddle, lighter wheelset, etc. Search around the Flux setups sticky at the top of the forum.

http://www.turnerbikes.com/010/010flux.html

Here's one of the lighter DWL Flux that we've seen. The owner put some great thought and custom efforts in to get it sub 23 lbs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=527630

mtbr member
    This one's pretty light.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=stealth+flux

If one were to hang some of those German weight weenie parts all over it, you could probably drop a half pound and get a way crappier ride

mtbr member
    I ride mostly XC. I don't do the narly kind of riding. Dont have the skills for that yet. I usually ride around the trails in Santa Clarita Valley. I used to ride 29ers but I got curious once and demoed a Giant Anthem X, and the rest is history. I decided to go back and ride 26" wheeled bikes again. I still love the Niner Air9 but I had more fun with the FS 4" 26er. This prompted me to search for the 26er that I would keep as a trail and XC race bike. I can't keep a bunch of bikes in my garage anymore due to economic reasons. I had a VPP bike before but never really liked it. Also had a stumpjumper but never liked the fact that the bike relied too much on pedal platform. I liked the Giant Anthem X that I demoed for a couple of days early this summer but decided to look at bikes with the DW link. So when Interbike came, I rode the Giant XTC29er, Giant Anthem X, Pivot Mach 4 and Turner Flux. I didnt bother riding the other brands mainly due to suspension design. I needed to demo the Giants first for a base. I was not really intending to ride the Turner, I wanted to ride the Pivot more that anything else after riding the Anthem X to see the difference. I had a hard time getting my hands on a Pivot Mach 4, then I remembered that Turner was running the DW Link too. I was not expecting anything when I got the Flux but I was so surprised when I started pedaling to go the trailhead. It was a slight uphill fire road climb, I got so amazed how the Flux moved every time I pedaled compared to the Anthem X. It just moves forward and never felt dead. It felt so light considering the flux I was on weighed 26.1lbs (I used the scale courtesy of the Park Tool tent by the Demo Area entrance). I thought I had the pro pedal in the ON position and checked it a couple of times because I just got so amazed how the bike felt under power. You just feel that all the energy that you hammer down the pedals go to the wheels and is not sucked up by the suspension bobbing up and down. Things got better when I hit the single track, the bike felt like was glued on the trail. It was like, it goes anywhere you point it to. I rode the bike with the rear shock open the whole time and it just motors up the short steep climbs and felt great over small bumps. It was so smooth that you can just keep on spinning and not worry about the jarring effects of the rocks and small dips. Braking was excellent, the suspension remained very active. There was a section in Trail #5 that had bad brake bumps and the same time was loose turning into a tight left hander. I can go fast entering that section then do late braking and quickly turn, the bike would just respond to every input that I make. It tracked perfectly. Front end was really stiff, I had precise control in really slow tight corners (Note: slow tight corners are one of my weaknesses, I always had a hard time with it in my previous bike, Air9). I tried the Pivot after riding the Flux to know the difference. The Mach 4 felt great when you are going down the single track. I did not like how it felt going up hill. It felt kinda dead and was kinda hard to keep the bike's momentum going. The Mach was also stiff, I think even stiffer than the Flux but the pedaling feel of the flux and how it zoomed forward made up for being a tad less stiffer than the Pivot (I guess this was also due to my weight, I weighed 210 with full battle gear during the demo). Overall, the Flux was the best bike for me. Now I can't stop thinking about it. I need to get my hands on it soon. Btw, thanks for the link on the Flux complete bike weight.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My eyes are bleeding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sorry Jayem, I hope you can still ride with out any vision problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    My eyes are bleeding.

Members who have read this thread: 0