Flux vs. 5 Spot- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flux vs. 5 Spot

Beer drinking biker!

Flux vs. 5 Spot

Ok I am I doing some saving and planning for my next bike! I currently have Turner XCE and love it but am ready for new and better! I am a cross country and all mountain rider. I struggle on climbs sometimes and that part makes me lean towards the Flux but the extra travel downhill sounds nice too.
    Give me some opinions. Has anyone switched to have more travel and regretted it? Vice versa? I'm used to the 4 inches I have now but feel like it could be plusher....but I also need to make sure I am not any slower on the ups! How does the 5 Spot climb?
    I ride in Pisgah/Bent Creek/ Mills River for those of you that are familiar.
    DirtyMtnBikeHer
    I have a passion for all things dirt!
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unless you're riding for competition go for a spot. Think of the extra weight going uphill as training weight and also you get more fun on the downhill.

Beer drinking biker!
    hmmmm...I can hold my pace downhill with the guys but they have to wait and wait for me on the ups...I guess I just need to quit my job and ride everyday and gain more endurance and strength! Oh wait I need my job to buy a new Turner!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member

I've tested both

I think the 5 Spot leans more towards my old horst link 6 Pack than my old horst link 5 Spot. The DW Flux felt more plush and faster than the Burner I tested. I think that with what you said above you'd enjoy the Flux more.

mtbr member
    The Spot is a climbing machine!
    life is steeper than it looks

... I guess you won't be
    I live in Michigan, but have ridden the trail networks you mentioned on my 5-spot....[my buddy was on his Flux and almost had as much fun as I did!]

If you are like me, hill climbs are always a necessary labor to get to the sweet nectar of the gravity side swoops - a Flux will not magically make your climbs any better. The Spot with an air shock is actually quite a nice "feeling" climber, but it's no rocketship! So, if you're not in a hurry, go with the spot - it can climb anything your legs can push. That said, I truly enjoyed my spot on your trails [bent creek is a bit weird! in spots], the spot is a comfortable climber for those trails, and the few zooming downhill singletracks at Pisgah were a true joy on the Spot - just pin the throttle and go!

You'll love a 5-spot out there. The Flux would be just fine, but the Spot is like having extra flavor on everything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You can't go wrong with either bike but should probably base your decision on the type of trails you ride. I have both and always take the Flux out for the smooth and flowing trails. My Spot is definitely more plush and is great for the trails with the babyheads sticking out everywhere.

With that said, here's how I decide which bike to ride:
    Flux - less pain going up
    Spot - less pain going down

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowBound
    You can't go wrong with either bike but should probably base your decision on the type of trails you ride. I have both and always take the Flux out for the smooth and flowing trails. My Spot is definitely more plush and is great for the trails with the babyheads sticking out everywhere.

With that said, here's how I decide which bike to ride:
    Flux - less pain going up
    Spot - less pain going down

I like your theory SnowBound ....I have a little while to save some money and then decide. I think right now I lean more towards the less pain going up... I wish I could afford both but I seem to like toys and don't have the income to match
    BTW anyone want to buy a Yamaha XT 225?
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

I'm more of a dog person
    i'm in the same boat as you (the op). i have trouble with climbing as well. i have back problems and am the one that everyone else is waiting for at the top. but i am now on my 3rd Spot and wouldn't dream of moving down to a Flux. especially now that i'm enjoying the superb climbing of the DW link. in fact i am running a Lyrik up front this time around and my DW Spot climbs better than my TNT Spot with a Pike did. with the rocky east coast riding that you are doing i say definitely go for the Spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a DW Spot and DW Flux. Based upon what you described I would go with the Spot. The DW Spot is an incredible climbing bike. I have been on the Spot for nine months and I am always impressed with how well it climbs. Many others who have posted have also mentioned how well the Spot climbs. The DW Spot is also very plush. Square edge bumps are minimized.Rock gardens are not as harsh As many others have mentioned on the Turner forum, the DW spot is an incredible pedaling bike.

I really like the Flux but I will use it more racing. However, for trail riding and light all mountain riding the DW Spot is incredible.

striker!
    I think the terrain you ride the most should dictate your decision. Having more bike than you need means hauling more weight around which is no fun. Having less bike than you need is even less fun.

I have an ancient Moab thread where I compared my Spot and Flux. The shots really show what can be done on each bike. Keep in mind, most say that the DW versions are more capable than their predecessosr.

S
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    I think the terrain you ride the most should dictate your decision. Having more bike than you need means hauling more weight around which is no fun. Having less bike than you need is even less fun.

I have an ancient Moab thread where I compared my Spot and Flux. The shots really show what can be done on each bike. Keep in mind, most say that the DW versions are more capable than their predecessosr.

S
    Sweet pics on the Moab thread! Someday I'll head out there.
    I'm thinking the DW Spot should be as good or better on the climbs than my XCE and if I can afford to build it light then that would be the way to go. Of course I also need to afford some mtb vacations too!
    Either way I can't lose right?
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member
    I went with a Flux 2 years ago and am deeply in love with it. I tend to ride it a bit "spot-ish" in terms of the trails I ride. I feel that is well within it's usage since I am a wee little thing at 5'2" and 135 lbs.

That said, the reason I took a Flux is because at that time the Spot did not come in a XS. It does now. Therefore, I woudl take a Spot and build it light and have a superversatile bike with a relaxed trail riding position.

i find that for the more techy descents, I have to crank out my fork (revelation 100-130). The Spot does not mandate that. My bro has a Vanilla 140 on it and leaves it at that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMtnBikeHer
    I'm thinking the DW Spot should be as good or better on the climbs than my XCE and if I can afford to build it light then that would be the way to go.
    I'd say you're right on, on both counts.

A Flux might get you to the top a hair faster (or it might not, depending on how rough the terrain is), but the Spot will still climb better than most bikes. If you're a light rider and can get away with a light build on the Spot (while still taking advantage of the extra travel), then the total difference in bike weight between it and the Flux needn't be much more than the <1 lb. frame difference.

Hard to go wrong either way, but I think the Spot would make for the more enjoyable all around ride in western NC.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Beer drinking biker!

Thanks for all the input!
    I'm leaning towards the Spot at this point, in Iron Glitter in case you want to know my frame color pref!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Moosehead
    Based on the rock and gnar that I've seen littering Pisgah, and your climbing references, building up a light Spot seems like the right call without knowing what your personal trail preferences are. See the build link sticky and use maybe an adjustable air fork, lighter wheelset/tires, and other bits that will help the climbing setup.

I've got both Flux and Spot, non-DWL, and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. Snowbound's description is perfect.

If it's a ton of vertical climbing, or a lot of mileage, or a speedier outing, definitely nicer to have the Flux. I'm running a Reba uturn which helps make it more versatile and it handles tech better way better than most think. Flux flys.

For gnarlier rides where you want to try harder moves or rumble faster downhill, Spot rules. It can also climb more technical sections, though you'll feel it on extended ascents. Spot has pushed my riding skills further.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMtnBikeHer
    Ok I am I doing some saving and planning for my next bike! I currently have Turner XCE and love it but am ready for new and better! I am a cross country and all mountain rider. I struggle on climbs sometimes and that part makes me lean towards the Flux but the extra travel downhill sounds nice too.
    Give me some opinions. Has anyone switched to have more travel and regretted it? Vice versa? I'm used to the 4 inches I have now but feel like it could be plusher....but I also need to make sure I am not any slower on the ups! How does the 5 Spot climb?
    I ride in Pisgah/Bent Creek/ Mills River for those of you that are familiar.
    Just some other things to consider. When you say you stuggle on the climbs,what do you mean? Is it a fittness thing or a skill level thing?Bike weight is only a small part of the equation. Bike geometry/riding position play a big part as well.The one thing to compare to those that you can't hang with on climbs is tire choice.A small change in tread profile and rubber compound can make a huge difference.For example when I went from 2.3 sticky Nevegals to 2.1 DTC nevegals the 2.3's were like riding a with the brakes dragging.

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    Just some other things to consider. When you say you stuggle on the climbs,what do you mean? Is it a fittness thing or a skill level thing?Bike weight is only a small part of the equation. Bike geometry/riding position play a big part as well.The one thing to compare to those that you can't hang with on climbs is tire choice.A small change in tread profile and rubber compound can make a huge difference.For example when I went from 2.3 sticky Nevegals to 2.1 DTC nevegals the 2.3's were like riding a with the brakes dragging.

Good questions...I do run 2.1 Nevegals also, I was running 2.3 when I first got my bike but yes 2.1 is better for climbing for sure. I do lack some fitness wise climbing and that is something I just need to keep pushing myself on. I also lack skills on technical uphill riding which I encounter a lot of around here! Sounds like the Spot may be better for the uphill technical?
    My desire to ride technical is what is pointing me towards the Spot.
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

4" vs 5.5"+

Although not a direct comparision, my situation wasn't too dissimilar. I've been riding a Ventana Salty (4") for the past three years and recently felt that I'd like to add another bike to my stable for more aggressive trail and lift assisted downhill riding (especially based on the 2008 closeout prices). I considered a heavily built Spot but opted for a heavily built RFX.

Although the Salty remains my favorite All Mountain bike, I'm blown away at what a good and efficient bike the RFX is. Clearly super stable on the downhills, but shockingly good as a climber. On my local NY knarly trails, the RFX can climb basically everything the Salty can. The only difference is the gearing I use when climbing the same hills. The weight differential between the two bikes is about 6 lbs.

As I see the 5.5 Spot in between my two rides, I'd say that's the bike as it will truly allow you to ride and enjoy all types of riding. An important aspect to note is that the build type (light, heavy, etc.) will have a major impact on the riding characteristics of the bike, so choose appropriately.

Just my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just bought a new 5 Spot and am coming off a 4" travel Blur classic that weighs about 25lbs. My new 5 Spot weighs 29.5 lbs and climbs better than my Blur. Descending is a whole different ballgame. Its like a dream. I knew it would be better, but didnt realize how big an impact it would have on my confidence, ability, and fun meter. I say go with the 5 spot. It will make you a better rider in the long run. It will put you on trails you previously would have been hesitant to ride. Plus its the best trail bike made today Happy pedaling!!!

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdavis
    I just bought a new 5 Spot and am coming off a 4" travel Blur classic that weighs about 25lbs. My new 5 Spot weighs 29.5 lbs and climbs better than my Blur. Descending is a whole different ballgame. Its like a dream. I knew it would be better, but didnt realize how big an impact it would have on my confidence, ability, and fun meter. I say go with the 5 spot. It will make you a better rider in the long run. It will put you on trails you previously would have been hesitant to ride. Plus its the best trail bike made today Happy pedaling!!!

I have a friend who swears by his Blur and I know his Blur climbs at least as well as my XCE so with that in mind....I'm pretty positive I'm leaning towards the 5 Spot
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    For gnarlier rides where you want to try harder moves or rumble faster downhill, Spot rules. It can also climb more technical sections, though you'll feel it on extended ascents. Spot has pushed my riding skills further.
    Hey Moosehead,

Are you saying you can climb more technical sections on the Spot than the Flux? Not flaming you, just curious about your climbing style. I have a hard enough time climbing any hill and love the full squishy on technical sections (compared to hardtails) but have always found it easier to climb with the lightest bike possible.

~SB

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowBound
    Hey Moosehead,

Are you saying you can climb more technical sections on the Spot than the Flux? Not flaming you, just curious about your climbing style. I have a hard enough time climbing any hill and love the full squishy on technical sections (compared to hardtails) but have always found it easier to climb with the lightest bike possible.

~SB
    Hey SB,

Yes, in general, if it is a more technical section uphill, then for me at least, Spot can be charged up it more easily than Flux. Flux can be lifted and finessed, but also tends to get hung up more often in these scenarios. Call it more tech uphill sessioning vs. extended ascents.

OTOH, if it is say 2-3k'+ of continuous climbing at higher altitude, including tech, I prefer the lighter Flux. Spot can do these outings well, it's just more work.

How's that for hedging a non-answer? At the end of the day, they'll have to pry either bike outta my dead paws.

Try a search on "RFX climbing", there was a good thread a while back on tech climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Yes, in general, if it is a more technical section uphill, then for me at least, Spot can be charged up it more easily than Flux. Flux can be lifted and finessed, but also tends to get hung up more often in these scenarios. Call it more tech uphill sessioning vs. extended ascents.
    Ah, I get it now. I was thinking about the long steep tech sections (50+ yards) where I have to just slowly mash and grind my way through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have both, 08 tnt models. Both identically equipped I swap my wheelset from bike to bike.

I ride a local loop that has a lot of climbing and a lot of down on rocky rooted trail, 15 miles round trip. I have identical cateye computers on both bikes.

I can not increase my average speed of 8.6 miles per hour on either bike, the weird thing is my average speed is identical.

I feel like I might be pedaling faster on the Flux but the Cateye tells the truth, .

The Spot weighs 26.9 lbs The Flux weighs 25.7

The Spot is the bike I reach for now, it's twice as plush. I consider every ride and still do not want to be without it. I do not race but if I did I would not race the Flux anyway. I feel like the HT angle is to slack and it does not pedal as good as some other XC specific race rigs.

I would go with the Spot 5.5 vs 4 inches with no performance penalty. I would ride the Flux in a 24 hr or endurance type races to save the weight, and it does feel like it pedals more efficient. I think it is as good as any for that type of racing.

I have no input on the new DW link bikes

Beer drinking biker!

Well everyone.....I made a purchase yesterday!!! I was online looking at the Turner website and happened to look under bikes for sale and they had one size small 09 Flux for sale...built...$2700!!! I'll have to do some upgrading as I can afford it.

I know I was leaning towards the 5 Spot but this was too good to pass down!
    So this will be my New Love and my old Turner will now have a mate!
    I am very excited the new ride should be here by Monday!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member
    get yourself a talas or durin marathon and you'll be riding it like a spot in no time, then you can dial it down on the front and climb like a goat.

Your Best Friend
    Sweet purchase. You won't regret it. DW Turners ride great. Have a good time!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well done. Please post a pic when you get it.

striker!
    Congrats!
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Beer drinking biker!
    Sweet! I'll post some pics next week...sounds like it will be here Saturday or Monday!
    I can't wait!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Beer drinking biker!
    Ok the Flux arrived today!
    Took an extra day or two since Turner called and said "we are having a problem with your card.." apparently a debit card purchase in that large of an amount rings bells and has to get special permission! lol
    It is of course in peices and I will be posting pics soon! I just have to get some time (and maybe some help) to get it together but it won't be long!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member

Spot's do like to fly though

No holding them back.

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Awsome! Love my Flux too. I have a Franken 6-Pack, but I like riding fast too much.

bump and grind
    Congratulations! That flux is a rocket, and a screaming deal too!!!

Beer drinking biker!
    Here is the new bike!!! Starting with the big box arriving yesterday!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Beer drinking biker!
    Unloading the Flux and getting assembled!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Beer drinking biker!
    Yeah my new bike!!!!

Still have to do some minor adjustments!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Beer drinking biker!
    One last pic of the new and a pic of the old....which I still have...not giving up the XCE
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Moosehead
    that xce just became last year's fruitcake. enjoy.

Beer drinking biker!
    I finally got my new Flux on the trail yesterday! I LOVE IT!!!! I only took a couple of pictures due to being caught out in the rain but it climbs like crazy and decends like crazy!
    I am very happy!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

mtbr member
    meh
    Sit and spin my ass...

Beer drinking biker!
    I got the new ride out on Laurel Mtn/Pilot Rock/Slate Cove for those of you who know the Pisgah area....it did rock...very happy with my new ride!

Thanks ya'll!
    DirtyMtnBikeHer

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    meh
    And this adds to the discussion how?

mtbr member
    Doesn't the XT rims with those hideous stickers. That's a win.
    Too Old to Die Young

Members who have read this thread: 0