Flux/Spot with a 29er front wheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Flux/Spot with a 29er front wheel?

Just checking to see if anyone has tried putting a 29er fork and front wheel on a Flux or Spot. How'd it turn out? Did it affect the handling negatively? Thanks..

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Popcorn ready, check.
    .....3.....2.....1.......go.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    I was thinking of doing the same thing only taking it further with the addition of a 24" rear wheel........
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Rick, I thought I saw you experimenting out on the recently closed Rovers Run on this bad boy.
    In fact, you blasted by and hollered something like later beeeeatch! while spraying bear spray with both hands

-Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Rick, I thought I saw you experimenting out on the recently closed Rovers Run on this bad boy.
    In fact, you blasted by and hollered something like later beeeeatch! while spraying bear spray with both hands

Nope, not me. My ride, almost similar, has a pneumatic front tire to match the rears, no flats with my set up plus I've got bar ends sticking straight up in the air without bar plugs, I can monitor my speed easier by the wind whistle that way........dude does resemble me a little bit though

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold583
    Did it affect the handling negatively?
    that would make as much sense as cuttin yer butthole off and sewin it to yer lips. welcome to the turner forum.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    that would make as much sense as cuttin yer butthole off and sewin it to yer lips. welcome to the turner forum.
    What kind of thread?

OP: to be honest, I don't think anyone has bothered trying this, as a Sultan is the way to go here. Besides, 69ers are ghey.

OTOH, if you want to toss a Fox 40 on a Nitrous, by all means!

1" ss cable. no one uses thread to sew their ass's to their lips anymore... dummy!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    CC, you're so cordial

although its true most of us are nuts, i didnt want the guy to think we were dicks.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I figured this would be the response...

I have a 69er right now and I have fun with it but I like riding 26s as well. So I was thinking I could have both and swap out forks and wheels when I got bored with one. It's like having two bikes at less cost. But I'm not about to invest the money for an extra fork and wheel if it would destroy the handling and ride quality.

So anybody have any experience or understands frame geometry and forks better than I do want to explain why/why not?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold583
    Yeah, I figured this would be the response...

I have a 69er right now and I have fun with it but I like riding 26s as well. So I was thinking I could have both and swap out forks and wheels when I got bored with one. It's like having two bikes at less cost. But I'm not about to invest the money for an extra fork and wheel if it would destroy the handling and ride quality.

So anybody have any experience or understands frame geometry and forks better than I do want to explain why/why not?
    Well, start with a much slacker HTA and STA as well as higher BB that would transform the Flux from a trailrocket to . . . . something else. Truthfully, the bike would not be nearly as fun to ride, the steering would not be as quick . . . the mod would absolutely kill the handling and rideability of the bike as it was designed and intended to be ridden.

The question to ask is not "Can I run a bigger wheel?" but "Will the addition of a longer fork and bigger front wheel make the bike better?" Having owned a Flux and Sultan both, the answer to question #1 is yes, the answer to #2 is no, IMHO.

yer 69'er is designed for that fork/wheel combo, the flux is not. the angles will be somewhere in the mid to low 60's would be my off the cuff guess, the b/bkt will be in the 15" range, the bars will be in the mid chest area and the overall package will ride worse than the entertainment value of a pauly shore movie. ever try to ride a pals dh bike uphill? this will be less fun than that. in short, it would be a major mistake and a useless waste of money. the flux is by far the finest fully suspended xc rig ive ever ridden and it would be a shame to see it defiled in such a way. i think if you were to build it with reasonable parts, yould see just how good it is and be happier with it than expected.

as far as out response goes, were a fun lovin group with a wierd sense of humor. dont feel like we were out to make ya feel silly, we only wanted to poke some fun at yer horrendous idea. were also pretty helpful and always ready to offer a hand when needed most days so come in and hang out often. really... youll grow to love and respect us, even tatoo our screen names on yer children and name yer pets after us. but when ya come up with somethin like that, we reserve the right to give ya a e-wedgie.

hey bgb... hows the show?
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    He went back to the snack bar for more popcorn and some Junior Mints.

figures he wouldnt ask US if we wanted anything. selfish prick!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I gotta hand it to you guys, you make asking questions alot of fun. Thanks for the honest replies and the other ****.

So let me recap, basically I need to get my head outta my ass and never think about a 29" wheel on anything other than a Sultan... I can do that. I'll be back once I figure out another ridiculous idea to present to you guys. This is so much more entertaining than work...

by golly i think hes 1 of us! got that flux ordered yet? dont wait too long or youll miss yer shot.

yer a good sport.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Personally, I think the Totem is the perfect fork for the Flux.

wrong again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rolling
    Here is how you might make a 6x9er using a standard frame.

Buy a Maverick fork, reduce the travel by 1.5 inches inches and there you go. The maverick will fit a 29" wheel. This keeps the geometry the same. That is what trek originally did to create their 69er.

I have thought about doing it myself.

The only question is will the tire hit the Downtube in full compression.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Here is how you might make a 6x9er using a standard frame.

Buy a Maverick fork, reduce the travel by 1.5 inches inches and there you go. The maverick will fit a 29" wheel. This keeps the geometry the same.
    There is really no practical benefit to using the Maverick vs. any other 29" fork for this purpose, unless you happen to already own one. It has a similar A2C height as most other 29" forks at full compression, so it does nothing to "keep geometry the same". Additionally, much of the butchering of the geometry is due to the front axle being ~1.5" higher to start with, regardless of how short or long a fork is used.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Baked Alaskan
    There are pics of someone running a 650b tire on a Flux with a regular old Fox or Reba because they can clear most 26" forks, it didn't throw the geometry out of wack according to the dude that did it - its about the equal of some of the larger 26" tires with the advantage of the larger wheel.

I've thought about doing the 69er thing with my Spot too, with the right fork - like the upcoming Reba 120, Maverick or a Lefty - it should be pretty close geometry-wise to what I'm getting right now with the 36 at 160mm. And I've really found a sweet spot there so it can't be all bad, right?
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Roy
    mtbr member
    What about a 96'er for those gnar climbs?

Nice job on your first post ever, Gold5. I'd say you pulled in a good stringer.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Actually, I'm kinda disappointed.
    I posted a stoke thread and every douche nozzle cleaner that is in love with the 29" wheel posted up about how I was crazy, and the 29" wheel is the only way to mtn. bike in todays modern age. This guy posts up about some bastardization of one of the hall of fame frames in the history of bike riding and you guys take it easy on him. WTF?

Here's the deal, put a 29" or 650whatever wheel on a Flux or Spot and consider yourself banned from the Koolaid jug. I will personally see to the bouncing for enforcement of the rules in this matter.
    -Sage Francis

Baked Alaskan
    I posted a stoke thread and every douche nozzle cleaner that is in love with the 29" wheel posted up about how I was crazy, and the 29" wheel is the only way to mtn. bike in todays modern age. This guy posts up about some bastardization of one of the hall of fame frames in the history of bike riding and you guys take it easy on him. WTF?
    Yo Bones, glad to see you're digging the Spot. The 29er guys are the only ones giving you the chit about going back to 26ers. The Spot is badazz, period. My suggestions were mostly from the standpoint of someone that's trying to get a Sultan-like ride without actually paying for a whole Sultan. Various cash hungry hobbies and an upcoming month-long trip to South America have me stretched a little thin these days. But I think you're missing the spirit of this thread and something that's been a Turner hallmark for years - the FrankenTurner. If you can dream it, someone has tried to build it with a Turner.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    I posted a stoke thread and every douche nozzle cleaner that is in love with the 29" wheel posted up about how I was crazy, and the 29" wheel is the only way to mtn. bike in todays modern age.
    That's not a very nice thing to say- I distinctly remember having only positive things to say about your post (namely the pictures).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

TLL
    mtbr member
    wrong again!
    Man, you spend waay too much time on Pinkbike. Must be the new EW Rogue. And it needs more duct tape.

I posted a stoke thread and every douche nozzle cleaner that is in love with the 29" wheel posted up about how I was crazy, and the 29" wheel is the only way to mtn. bike in todays modern age.
    I'd say that's about right, not much douchnozzlery going on here. Is that a word, FTW? Douchnozzlery.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    If you can dream it, someone has tried to build it with a Turner.
    I'm still waiting for my own personal hoverboard.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

i never do pinkbike. no reason other than im wallowin in this joint as it is. all i need is another forum to suck my brain dry.

and thats josh benders armageddon from a few years back. a google image search for "josh bender" took about 5 sec. pretty good use of time. poor use of duct tape and zip ties.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Actually, I'm kinda disappointed... blah blah blah.... some bastardization of one of the hall of fame frames... blah blah blah.... you guys take it easy on him... blah blah blah.... banned from the Koolaid jug. I will personally see to the bouncing for enforcement of the rules in this matter.
    yer right. i have to admit it. so, mr gold.... you get a poopy head award for this one. congrats! (just do a forum search for "poopy head" and all will be clear)
    No, I'm NOT back!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Here's the deal, put a 29" or 650whatever wheel on a Flux or Spot and consider yourself banned from the Koolaid jug. I will personally see to the bouncing for enforcement of the rules in this matter.
    I hope you guys cought my humor up there ^^^^^^.
    I was feeling quite "saucy (read: several afterwork beers)" when i typed that and after re-reading I can see where one might not catch the sarcasm.

I gotta say though, the 29er up front will be like humping a fat chick. It might feel great, but in the end, damn it, you'd still just be humping a fat chick.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Fat Chick?

How about Mama Bear!!!! Yep, the 650B. I would rather give a ride on Mama bear, she had it goin on with the warm steel cut oats, a comfy chair and when the day is done....... they perfect bed. Plus it will mess your geo up about half a degree, which for most is acceptable.

DT

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Can I be the first to start a rumor of a 650B Flux for '09? The whole e-speculation on DW-Link Turners is starting to get a little played out. The Homers need something new to titter about.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I gotta say though, the 29er up front will be like humping a fat chick. It might feel great, but in the end, damn it, you'd still just be humping a fat chick.
    Plus there is the whole aspect of what happens when your friends find out . . . .
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Members who have read this thread: 0