• 2006 Flux with TNT

10 32.26%
    Kiwi that Flew

Flux HL vs TNT: Which would you buy?

Given the choice which of the following would you buy today:
    2005 Flux (HL)
    2006 Flux (TNT)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    id do a tnt just to piss off the masses. no, seriously, id get one cuz i trust the folks who have designed it, built it, tested it and reported on it. not to mention thats about all the choice we have now. done deal, no matter no more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Get the one you want...

Dean,
    Ive seen a few of your posts lately asking if HL is better or hype, etc, etc...

Heres my take on the whole thing. Assuming you can still find a HL Flux in your size and also can get a TnT Flux in your size - buy the one you want to. Buy whichever one you feel is the right bike for you.

If you are worried about the change or think that HL benefits are real and not marketing BS then buy the 05.

If you really want Orange Ano or the newest of the new or think TnT has a stiffer chassis than buy an 06.

The fact is, either way you will get a great bike. If it fits you and its the color you wanted then you will like the bike, and well, you probably will ride it more often and be happy. Isnt that what you want? Isnt that why you are buying a new bike? Close your eyes and count to ten while breathing deeply, when you open them go with the one that seems best in your own eyes. Chances are if it was your first choice, it was the right one.

Now go out and ride...and dont take it too seriously. This stuff was meant to be fun and all...

(BTW, I know its probably not what you wanted but I didnt vote...I didnt think its necessary, I think you already know the answer)
    Last edited by CDtofer; 12-08-2005 at 02:01 AM. Reason: forgot to add I didnt vote...

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    id do a tnt just to piss off the masses. no, seriously, id get one cuz i trust the folks who have designed it, built it, tested it and reported on it. not to mention thats about all the choice we have now. done deal, no matter no more.
    Thanks for the feedback cactuscorn.
    We still have some 2005's floating around in the UK for sale. But personally I'm thinking along the same lines and going TNT. I've got a Fuel95 (hayes mags/ xt shifters) at the moment (which has surved me well) and am looking to get a Flux.
    I've not riden one but from what I read on this Forum, they sound pretty damm good.

deanopatoni

No, that's not phonetic
    After having owned HL Turners for many years and now riding a TNT rear end for a few weeks, I would honestly flip a coin.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Dean,
    Ive seen a few of your posts lately asking if HL is better or hype, etc, etc...

Heres my take on the whole thing. Assuming you can still find a HL Flux in your size and also can get a TnT Flux in your size - buy the one you want to. Buy whichever one you feel is the right bike for you.

If you are worried about the change or think that HL benefits are real and not marketing BS then buy the 05.

If you really want Orange Ano or the newest of the new or think TnT has a stiffer chassis than buy an 06.

The fact is, either way you will get a great bike. If it fits you and its the color you wanted then you will like the bike, and well, you probably will ride it more often and be happy. Isnt that what you want? Isnt that why you are buying a new bike? Close your eyes and count to ten while breathing deeply, when you open them go with the one that seems best in your own eyes. Chances are if it was your first choice, it was the right one.

Now go out and ride...and dont take it too seriously. This stuff was meant to be fun and all...

(BTW, I know its probably not what you wanted but I didnt vote...I didnt think its necessary, I think you already know the answer)
    CDtofer, thanks for the advise.
    There's a few frames still available in the UK, but as for a test ride I doubt if I get a chance to test them side by side. I've got a Fuel95 at the moment and doubt without any Turner experience that I would be able to tell the difference between the Flux's, for me the difference will be between a Flux and Fuel.

deanopatoni

deano, yer gonna dig it so much! i really gald i could offer somethin that helped ya. thats whats cool about this place for me. and this guy up above me is a key reason i feel as i do about tnt. experienced, talented, knolagable and trustworthy. i love ya cheese! ya may not always like what i say, but if it means anything, i respect the hell outta ya pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    After having owned HL Turners for many years and now riding a TNT rear end for a few weeks, I would honestly flip a coin.
    Cheers..
    Will likely end up doing just that.

deanopatoni

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow....Seven posts and nobody's tried to convince him to get a Spot or Pack?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Wow....Seven posts and nobody's tried to convince him to get a Spot or Pack?

Rolling down the thread that's what I was just about to do...
    HL or TNT, Get the 5 SPOT !

edited for spelling mistakes

Kiwi that Flew

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    Rolling down the thread that's what I was just about to do...
    HL or TNT, Get the 5 SPOT !
    Don't you think that a jump from a 75rear/80front Fuel to a 125/125 5 Spot will be to much for me?
    One of the reviews I've read said this:
    The Turner Flux is a lot like the 5-spot but more agile. It climbs better and it carves tight singletrack better. It is the little brother that could! This Flux weighed in at 25 lbs even. It climbed like a goat and it handled all the descents that San Jose-Norcal area could deliver. It made me question why I owned a 5-spot?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=106888
    This kind of nailed it for me, plus the frame weight is closer to my Fuel. But as you know from what I've said above, I have not ridden a Turner yet and my local bike shop has only got a 5 Spot to demo so things may get interesting when I try it.

Keep the advise coming...
    Cheers Guys

deanopatoni

banned
    If it was 2006, you'd have to make a time machine (perhaps frankenturnering one) to get an 05.

Seriously, couldn't care less. I'll take whatever is out there and so long as the line of Turners feel the same, have the bushings, same attention to quality and durability, and the renowned customer service, I'll always be on a Turner.

I haven't gotten to demo a TNT rear end yet, but I will base my thoughts fairly on it and so long as I can't tell the difference, I couldn't care less.

I didn't buy into Turner for the HL in the first place anyway. It was for the sum of the parts/overall execution. And with Turner, the sale isn't over after the money changes hands. David, Gregg, Jarret, and the rest of the crew work VERY HARD to keep us satisfied beyond what they're obligated to do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni
    2005 Flux (HL)
    2006 Flux (TNT)
    If you really can't decide ...... get the HL version. If you later decide that you want the TNT version, you'll still be able to buy a TNT rear. It won't work the other way around.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    If you really can't decide ...... get the HL version. If you later decide that you want the TNT version, you'll still be able to buy a TNT rear. It won't work the other way around.
    This is excellent advice.

If it were me, I'd buy the one that looks better - depending on whether you dig anodizing or not.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Thanks Blue Shorts,
    That's a very good point. Incidentally just out of interest, anyone know an approx price for a rear end?

deanopatoni

Kiwi that Flew

Good job!

2005 Flux (HL)
    2006 Flux (TNT)

Big thanks to all who voted and gave feed back.
    Voted 2 to 1 and the last and only.....

Fresh from my LBS.......

Cheers

deanopatoni
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well that sounds like a merry Xmas to me!

Enjoy and posy more pics, congrats!
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

hey deano! thats cool as hell pal. a very interesting way to do it too. glad ya got what makes ya happy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Congrats!!!! That's a great looking frame. Post your build when you get around to it.

banned
    who cares what the pseudoscientists think about the "huge differences" that are paper tigers in a real world fight?

whichever one is cheapest, that's what I'd buy.

Chaplin Turner Overdrive

Good choice

Big thanks to all who voted and gave feed back.
    Voted 2 to 1 and the last and only.....

Fresh from my LBS.......

Cheers

deanopatoni
    Seems like a good choice to me, as Blue Shorts pointed out you can always get a TNT rear at some point if you want one! Exactly the reason that I'm on the lookout for a medium 2005 6 Pack at a good price in the UK. Might be slightly tricky methinks..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    who cares what the pseudoscientists think about the "huge differences" that are paper tigers in a real world fight?

whichever one is cheapest, that's what I'd buy.

yabbut, what if they are both the exact same price? hmmmm? hmmmm? hmmmm?

Kiwi that Flew
    Smile, grin.
    Moved thread.
    Brain not quite working.
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 12-28-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodUK
    Seems like a good choice to me, as Blue Shorts pointed out you can always get a TNT rear at some point if you want one! Exactly the reason that I'm on the lookout for a medium 2005 6 Pack at a good price in the UK. Might be slightly tricky methinks..
    Try http://www.psyclewerx.co.uk/ Bristol, I know they've got 2 or 3 other HL Turners there (maybe FiveSpots thought).

d e a n o p a t o n i

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good choice!

I love HL and polished bikes. I'm surprised the beaten horse didn't rise up and cause a debate in this string. I could start one but the horse is better left down. You did make the right choice though

Jaybo

Kiwi that Flew
    2005 Flux (HL)
    2006 Flux (TNT)
    Yip, BlueShorts made a good point.
    Other considerations where:
    1. The HT was hanging there in the shop (the last one in these parts).
    2. AndyN's http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=152506 post really got me thinking about TNTs stalling on rocky technical climbs. As I've been riding a TrekFuel (no rear links) I'm familiar with having to 'hop' the rear over rocks so that I wouldn't stall. If given the opportunity to buy a HT bike that may be able to forgo this necessity, it was too juicy a melon to leave unpicked.

This will interest all readers.

I have purchased this frame on your feedback and the posts on this forum alone. I never got round to test riding the Turner that the LBS had on offer (a Five Spot) and ultimately bought today so not to miss out on the HT. I've never ridden any other Full Susp bike (honestly), but only the one I've had for 5 years a Fuel 90 (95 front triangle).
    I'm confident that I have bought the best bike for me on the market and that I will be still loving it in 5 years from now.

So a big thanks to you Guys,
    Have a good Xmas, New Year and holiday season.
    Time to build my dream bike......

d e a n o p a t o n i

Bon Vie
    This will interest all readers.

I have purchased this frame on your feedback and the posts on this forum alone. I never got round to test riding the Turner that the LBS had on offer (a Five Spot) and ultimately bought today so not to miss out on the HT. I've never ridden any other Full Susp bike (honestly), but only the one I've had for 5 years a Fuel 90 (95 front triangle).
    I'm confident that I have bought the best bike for me on the market and that I will be still loving it in 5 years from now.

So a big thanks to you Guys,
    Have a good Xmas, New Year and holiday season.
    Time to build my dream bike......

d e a n o p a t o n i
    Buying a Turner w/o a test ride, eh. Where have I heard this before hmmmmmmm.......oh yeah, that was me nearly 2 years ago. And this Homer would do it again. If I ever need a new rear triangle, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the TNT......baby!!!!!!!

peace................
    Let go, and let it flow!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    2005 Flux (HL)
    2006 Flux (TNT)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi , I would like to know if the tendency change after the new Turner Flux review in the Mountain Bike Action (february 06 ) .

For mba people , both frames , Horst Link 05 and Horst Linkless 06 have the same performance in climb, downhill ,braking ,etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New flux

Hi, I just bought a Turner Flux with the RP3 shock from a shop in the UK. One of the last HL I believe in the country. However mine does not have the black insert on the drive side chain stay. Can anyone tell me why this is? Thanks. Jonathan. P.S I would put a picture up but I cant find the digital camera ATM, I think my brother has it.

mornin jonny. by insert, if ya mean the vinyl chainstay protector, its just a sticker. hard to say why its not there. mine didnt come with the flux stikers on the top tube which is ok with me. maybe they just ran out? most of us cover em up with somethin more substantial anyway so i wouldnt sweat it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ahh cool cheers. I was thinking maybe I had ben sold an 04 version or something. Well I will get a chainstay protector. I cant wait to build it now. If it rides as good as it looks then......................!!! Thanks. Jonathan

oh, it does. it does indeed. youll be completely blown away.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoKev
    Buying a Turner w/o a test ride, eh. Where have I heard this before hmmmmmmm.......oh yeah, that was me nearly 2 years ago.
    Same, same. And #3 should be here pretty soon (RFX), and the building will begin!

Members who have read this thread: 0