Thread: Flux frame size

mtbr member
    May 2008

Flux frame size

Hi newbi here, first post any help would be appreciated.
    I thinking of getting a flux but not too sure which size I need. no where doing demos where I live. i'm 6' 1'' inside leg is 35.5 inches from floor to crutch.
    Thanks bally from the UK.

ride
    I'd say XL. I've got an inseam that is 35" floor to crotch with my sandals. I ride an L and I need a 410 post as a standard 350 post is right over the line. I'm about 2" shorter than you, too. I could ride an XL if I wanted, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I've got 36in inseam, crotch to floor and ride Larges. My main issue with most frames out there is that the seat tube angle seems too slack and I typically have to move my seat all the way forward for good pedaling position.

The TTs are short on the DW linked Turners and I like longer top tubes; this issue coupled with my saddle being forward makes bikes feel relatively short in general. My biggest gripe about the current Turner sizing is that in order to get a TT length I prefer I'm on XL, which in turn makes for much less seat post exposed, translating into less than desirable amount of saddle drop available.

If you're not into dropping saddles and like the stability the 0.6in longer wheelbase provides go with the XL; if you like to drop your saddle for the descents and like quicker handing of a 0.6in shorter wheelbase go with a L; if you're in between on the choices, I apologize for not being much help.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

It ain't easy being Green
    Hi Bally, Welcome to Planet Turner!
    XL, no question. I'm 6' 1", 34" inseam and I agonized over which size; I finally settled on L because I'm using my Flux primarily for racing, if you are not a racer then XL will make the bike much more of an all rounder (light AM duty, for instance, will be easier to handle).
    I don't regret my decision but if I had to do it again...
    BTW, Flux is primarily an XC race machine, is that what you want to do? Otherwise a Spot might be more suitable. Check out some of the "Flux or Spot?" threads.

Just my .02.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Hi Bally, Welcome to Planet Turner!
    XL, no question. I'm 6' 1", 34" inseam and I agonized over which size; I finally settled on L because I'm using my Flux primarily for racing, if you are not a racer then XL will make the bike much more of an all rounder (light AM duty, for instance, will be easier to handle).
    I don't regret my decision but if I had to do it again...
    BTW, Flux is primarily an XC race machine, is that what you want to do? Otherwise a Spot might be more suitable. Check out some of the "Flux or Spot?" threads.

Just my .02.
    I've found the flux can take a good technical trail as well as any other 4" bike. I put a 120 mil fork on mine and am currently running a 2.3" tire in front. It's a ripper.

The XL flux isn't that big. Get it - use a shorter stem.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am just at 6' & have a Large DW Flux frame. The top tube (23.9) is a little bit short in my opinion but is OK with a 100 mm stem.
    I also have a 2005 Flux with a 24.5 top tube (just like the XL DW frame) and a 90 mm stem and it fits very well.
    According to me, you are free to decide: if you prefer a longer frame with more stability than go for the XL (with shorter stem), but if you prefer a funnier frame with more maniability, than go for the L (with longer stem). In your case, it is really a question of how do you prefer your bikes...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. The type of riding I do id mostly trails, canals banks and disused rail lines and I don't race. I can’t afford a new one (£1700 over here) so it will have to be second hand. I’ve seen a few large flux, spots and a burner up for sale but no XL. I had a large Cannondale Rush 4 last year and had to get a 410mm post and a 100mm stem. All ways felt I should have gone for the XL. I may put a shout out on the UK single track forum to see if anyone has a XL Turner I could sit on. Again thanks for all the info Cheers Bally

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you buy a second hand frame and that it is a HL or TNT model, than you can go without any hesitation for a Large one. The top tube of those models is longer thant on the DW model and will certainly fit perfectly with your size.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks JFB
    What do you think of this burner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.
    Can you still get the frame bushes? Would it be worth have it repainted?
    Cheers Bally

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bushes for the Burner are still referenced on the Turner website (store section).
    According to me, the frame could be repainted but it depends on how many £ you can spend on it.
    But for me the priority should be to change the rear shock. It seems very very low on the pictures... and it could be interesting to put a Fox with propedal instead of the Manitou (there are a few Fox float with propedal for sale at a good price on CRC).
    This frame is a nice 'vintage' piece anyway, with the HL!
    And sorry for my bad english but I'm from Belgium

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by bally
    Thanks JFB
    What do you think of this burner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.
    Can you still get the frame bushes? Would it be worth have it repainted?
    Cheers Bally
    The Burner wights as much as a 5 Spot due to straight gauge tubing (cost saving measure as this was a budget frame for Turner back in 2004). If you're considering a Burner, you may as well get a 5 Spot as you get 1.5in-1.9in more travel (depending on the rocker, which varied over the years) and more relaxed geometry for the same weight.

Hold out for a Flux if you want a light weight XC bike. If you buy a HL or a TNT model, get a Large and you'll be happy.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Moosehead
    bally, definitely check a search on "flux size", there's been a ton of guys in similar situations on this board. you are somewhat a tweener between L and XL though your inseam definitely tilts you towards XL. +1 to Flux with 120mm fork and rp23 or float shock, older generation or new. what are your trail and riding preferences?

Edit: see below thread and photo from 6'2" and 34" inseam rider on an '08 Large Flux. I am now happily on that rig at 6' and 34" inseam. Flux is so fast and flickable I think you might be happier on the XL with no loss in quick handling and can run the shorter stem as Iheart suggested.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=flux+size
    Last edited by moosehead; 01-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Moosehead for the link think it will have to be a XL. Anybody selling XL Flux or possible 5 spot will to post to uk?

Members who have read this thread: 0