Flux build advice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Flux build advice...

OK then...I'm having an awfully hard time staying away from the $1400 Fluxes currently happening. As I slice and dice my parts matrix, I thought I'd run it by y'all an see if there's anything I'm overlooking, or if there are certain bits that do/don't work particularly well with this frame.

Usage is purely XC. I tend to ride light and be fairly easy on my gear. Local terrain is rocky/rooty but not brutally so. I'm ~180lbs. Want the bike under 25lbs.

Here's what I'm thinking for the major items...

Med. Flux - what color? I'm thinking red for many of the parts (because the fork is)...seems like copper might be a bad match, but blue seems awfully 4th of July. Bare?

'05 Reba Race U-turn 85-115. Red. I already own (and love) this, so this one is non-negotiable.

DT 4.2d / 240s / Super Comp wheels. I have a set of 240s on my road bike and they are bulletproof. Low engagement point count doesn't really worry me, as I've never ridden anything else. Also, high count hubs tend to be a lot more costly. Are there lighter rims I should consider? Stans? Is tubeless a must have?

Marta SL brakes. 160 or 185 up front?

SRAM drivetrain. XO or X9? Road bikes are both Campy. I don't do Shimano.

Possible re-use of existing Race Face Turbine LP cranks & System stem as cost savings (and they're red). Otherwise Thomson stem/post & what crank?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks like a nice, solid build. However, I don't think it will be under 25lbs.

I have a set of I9s with 4.2d rims and they do the job just fine. Used the DT tubeless kit and I've been happy with it. I'm running Stan's Arch rims on my 29er (Sultan) and have been happy with those too. Not sure there's a bad choice between them.

Marta brakes are perfect in this application. Not sure the SLs are worth the extra money to save about 50 grams for the pair.

Love the Reba on my Flux. Also an '05. Get it PUSH'd.

X.0 drivetrains are great, but the X.9 is just about as good (IMO) as the X.0 for a lot less money. Go with X.0 if you're going for the bling.

I'd probably keep the RF cranks and get a Thomson X.4 stem and some OS bars. I personally like Easton Monkey-Lite bars.

Pull the trigger on getting the Flux. You won't regret it.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    everything is lookin good but if yer shootin for sub 25, better forget all about budget. id guess yer into 26 give or take, and thats pretty solid.

im with 2tne on the sl's. too much cash for the weight. ill dissagree on the os bar/stem thing. if yer on a med flux, my guess is yer under a buck 70 and its obvious this isnt a jump bike so theres little to no advantage to a stiffer, heavyer setup. xt cranks are sweet but the rings blow. this might be a more clear advantage than the os control package.

i dig the 240's too. id toss a cpl stans olympics at em and then some comps with alloy nips. yer probably a light guy on a xc rig... no reason to use "overbuilt" parts.

have ya ordered it yet? dig it!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    That part spec sounds reasonable. Just go x9 and the 240's, should perform as well as anything. The frame color with the red fork should be the polished frame imo. Just buy!

Mr.Secret
    This is my ' 05 Flux re deux, ' 08 Flux rear compression strut & swingarm,(anybody want/need a HL rear assy.?) 330 gm DT carbon rims laced 15/17/15 2x on King hubz, Hope Mono Mini Pro's 140r 160f,Hadley ti QR's, ' 09 Rock Shox Sid WC, Race Face Next crank etc.etc. It's coming in a shade under 23 lb$. Excessive, probably. Fun, you bet !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

No, that's not phonetic
    I think your build sounds great. I am not sure where you get the idea that DT 240s hubs are cheap though. They are up there in price for sure. They are good hubs and extremely light though. No reason not to get them. Like 2TNE said, Stans arch or 355 rims would be a good alternative for turnkey tubeless options. X0 is really snappy, even more so than X9 (which isn't bad). If you can find a good (non-msrp) price on X0, go that route. I would do a 180 up front for the Marta if you ride on significant hills. On modest terrain, a 160 would do at your weight. XTR cranks are about 1/4 pound lighter than XT, but that comes at a significant price. If you are doing a weight weenie build like I was, you will go XTR. If you are really value oriented, XT all the way.

This came in at 23.39#. It is for a 130 pound girl. She can get away with Stans Olympic rims and DT Revolution spokes, but I don't think I could (190#). The Stans are set up tubeless with yellow tape and one scoop of Stan's spooge and Speshy Storm S-works 2.0 tires (525g). Nice light wheels with real knobs. The rest of the parts are plenty strong enough for anybody imo. A lot of the build was eBay purchases and it came in at $2,500 complete. Cheap, light, strong: pick 3. Not too shabby.

BTW- when choosing light parts, and easy rule of thumb is the dollar per gram rule. If the weight savings are under one dollar per gram, it's worth it. If you are paying more than a dollar to save a gram, then it's not worth it. That comes out to $454 per pound btw . Note that this is not a "cheap" game. If you are considering some lighter bars that cost $40 more than some cheaper bars but only save 30 grams, it's not a good plan. Tires and rims are the easiest and cheapest place to save weight, but they also have a significant effect on the ride experience in terms of traction and durability.

Edit: Oops, front rotor on backwards. Fixed that.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 08-13-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Very nice build ts! If Barny thought my bike was zippy, she gonna be flying on her new ride!!

my thought is if yer under 200lbs and need a 180mm rotor up front, the flux may be too little of a bike or yer runnin a whimpy brake. oh, i see now ya listed 180 as rider weight. i missed that before. everythings a compromise so ya may wanna consider a more punchy yet light brake like a formula k-24 or their puros and stick with 160's max. i know a guy who swears by 140's in back and those leave a decent amount of stainless on the punch press.

plenty of light, land based riders runnin olympics on fluxi but these guys may be right and they may be a bit "race day only"-ish for you. i see arches and some 2.0 larson tt exceptions in yer future.

the cheese has a good system with the grams per dollar ratio. listen to yer elders.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Just another half mile...
    Nice build! I was thinking of a similar build for my GF to lighten up her ride and she weighs basically the same. She currently has a heavy 04' spot and heavy vanilla Fox Fork and is more bike than she needs. Her current components area good mix of lightweight Race Face and XRT parts, only the frame and fork really need to go on a diet and the Turner deal on the Flux really tempting. Which Fox Fork do you put on this bike, is it a 140 version or something less? For the type of riding we have here in Zonieville, I would like to keep a slacker head angle that would be similar to the Spot, and I would think a 08 Fox 140 Float or Talas would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I think your build sounds great. I am not sure where you get the idea that DT 240s hubs are cheap though. They are up there in price for sure. They are good hubs and extremely light though. No reason not to get them. Like 2TNE said, Stans arch or 355 rims would be a good alternative for turnkey tubeless options. X0 is really snappy, even more so than X9 (which isn't bad). If you can find a good (non-msrp) price on X0, go that route. I would do a 180 up front for the Marta if you ride on significant hills. On modest terrain, a 160 would do at your weight. XTR cranks are about 1/4 pound lighter than XT, but that comes at a significant price. If you are doing a weight weenie build like I was, you will go XTR. If you are really value oriented, XT all the way.

This came in at 23.39#. It is for a 130 pound girl. She can get away with Stans Olympic rims and DT Revolution spokes, but I don't think I could (190#). The Stans are set up tubeless with yellow tape and one scoop of Stan's spooge and Speshy Storm S-works 2.0 tires (525g). Nice light wheels with real knobs. The rest of the parts are plenty strong enough for anybody imo. A lot of the build was eBay purchases and it came in at $2,500 complete. Cheap, light, strong: pick 3. Not too shabby.

BTW- when choosing light parts, and easy rule of thumb is the dollar per gram rule. If the weight savings are under one dollar per gram, it's worth it. If you are paying more than a dollar to save a gram, then it's not worth it. That comes out to $454 per pound btw . Note that this is not a "cheap" game. If you are considering some lighter bars that cost $40 more than some cheaper bars but only save 30 grams, it's not a good plan. Tires and rims are the easiest and cheapest place to save weight, but they also have a significant effect on the ride experience in terms of traction and durability.

Edit: Oops, front rotor on backwards. Fixed that.

Mr.Secret
    IMO a 140mm fork on a Flux is way beyond pushing the envelope. The frame was designed around a 100mm front end with 120mm probably being about as much as you'd want to go. The tube set is lighter than the Spot's and with a 140mm lever on the front would stress the frame beyond its intended purpose besides screwing up a sweet handling single track ripper.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

No, that's not phonetic
    It's a F120 RLC. No feedback on the thing as of yet. She gets back from fishing this weekend and then dirt will fly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey, thanks to all for the valuable feedback...sounds like i'm on the right track. just picked up a slightly shorter '09 SID for the kona (85mm is a bit long for a frame designed around 70-75mm), so that frees the reba up for the flux, officially starting the process. guess i better grab up a frame while the card is still hot...

i've never wanted for more brake (cowbell, yes), and i run a BB7/ultimate linear pull combo on the kona (my only XC bike right now)...so i'm thinking 160/140 ought to be fine. i see marta sl's out there at ~$300-350/pr...is that fair/a steal? i'm inclined to stick with maggies, as i run some old-skool tomac hs-22s on my 'retro' bike and i'm equipped to service them (pint o' blood, olives, bleed fittings, etc). are the formula's really that different?

nobody has any advice on the most important thing...color scheme? as i said, fire-engine red fork lowers sets the tone for the components...already have a red stem & crank, martas come in red, 240s have big red decals. we've got a pattern here. copper + red? i'm having trouble picturing it, but it sounds a bit odd. blue + red = uncle sam. so i'm thinking bare...which will pair nicely with the mostly bare ti stable mate. i know...it should be covered in mud when used appropriately, so who cares what color it is? but c'mon...i've got to throw up some pretty just-built pics to finish off this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i see arches and some 2.0 larson tt exceptions in yer future.
    the cheese has a good system with the grams per dollar ratio. listen to yer elders.
    cactus...please explain that first line. arches? larson tt? oh wait...google tells me the larsen is a tire. also, despite the low post count, i *am* an elder. started on a miyata terrarunner in ~'87. still ride a '92 paramount and the '99 kona (newest bike in the stable!). wrenched professionally for many years. i do admit, however, that i am a total noob when it comes to modern XC kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie
    '05 Reba Race U-turn 85-115. Red. I already own (and love) this, so this one is non-negotiable.

Possible re-use of existing Race Face Turbine LP cranks & System stem as cost savings (and they're red). Otherwise Thomson stem/post & what crank?
    I know this an obscure question, but are some of these parts coming from a 99 King Kahuna???
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what makes you say that?

i mean...yes. as i said, even at 85mm, the reba is too long for that frame. plus, the red/orange wasn't doing it for me.

nobody has any advice on the most important thing...color scheme?

cactus...please explain that first line. arches?
    smoke black would rock, so would polished. to get a polished turner these days, ya have to order it raw then send it off to a polisher. not sure if clear anno is doable but if it was, id consider that over a simple polish job.

as in stans arch hoops. a very popular rim these days and tons of good feedback. might be perfect for ya.

from 1 old, ex shop rat, (former) maggie rim brake owner to another, welcome to the show! heres what a polished turner with red and black bits can look like. kinda dreamy isnt it? also the old and now discontinued clear anno '05 flux.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    so i went to my local turner dealer this morning, mentally prepared for a $1400 hit of flux...we talked a bit about my goals, my riding style, my current ride...and then they showed me a pivot mach 4.

dayyyum, in so many ways...

i left without buying anything and rushed home to re-examine numbers, read up on pivot, and figure out what i'd be willing to sell.

i like. a lot. except for the +$600 part. actually, more like +$400 when you consider that BB/HS/FD are included with the pivot.

anybody interested in a waterford paramount road frameset? one SLX, one OS, both ~54.5x56...OS comes with some very nice extra bits (ti post/campy HS/stem).

oh, and thoughts on mach 4 vs flux would be good too...

sigh.
    Last edited by dookie; 08-15-2008 at 02:41 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Make sure you ride the Pivot before you plunk down any cheddar. Most people I have heard that threw a leg over one thought the ride was "harsh". After riding one I concur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i rode it (in a parking lot). consider that all i have *ever* ridden are hardtails. it felt like one, except when i bashed it into curbs.

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    This is my ' 05 Flux re deux, ' 08 Flux rear compression strut & swingarm,(anybody want/need a HL rear assy.?) 330 gm DT carbon rims laced 15/17/15 2x on King hubz, Hope Mono Mini Pro's 140r 160f,Hadley ti QR's, ' 09 Rock Shox Sid WC, Race Face Next crank etc.etc. It's coming in a shade under 23 lb$. Excessive, probably. Fun, you bet !
    I'd be interested in the '05 Flux rear H.L. assembly. Please check you PM's.

-Dave

mtbr member
    what makes you say that?

i mean...yes. as i said, even at 85mm, the reba is too long for that frame. plus, the red/orange wasn't doing it for me.
    Well the photo of the bike is up now so my question looks out of context

I thought the name was familiar and when you mentioned the red parts...

I have a 97 KK with a Z1 which you've probably already seen
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Members who have read this thread: 0