I rode 'Whistler XC'

New question here. Flux or another Racer X, and why....?

I'm currently on an 02 Racer X. I've ordered a 06 RX but it seems to be running late, so i am considering changing to a Flux.

It doesn't seem to be as sturdy as the RX when I look at the rear-suspension, specifically construction/tube diameters etc. Opinion please?

Also, i've heard mention of the main bb pivot running on bushes as opposed to bearings....is this correct?

Has anyone ridden both?

Any thoughts, opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Right now I'm convinced Titus builds the best xc rig on the planet. Don't wanna step on any Turner toes, that's just my opinion.

Think you can convince me otherwise?
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    since ya asked, i feel quite strongly that a 4 bar link of the flux is far and above stiffer than a modified mcpherson with a swing link such as the rx. i do like the titus, dont get me wrong. i like it fine.
    my flux rear is rock solid, even in the rocks of the az desert at speed so i wouldnt be worried about tube di or bushings. hell, my now 10 year old burners bushings have been reliable as can be and ive not treated them kindly at times. i just replace them every 3 or 4 years for the cost of a few good beers. helps that i have em in hand within 2 days of my order.

i havent ridden a rx in a few years so ill tread lightly here, but my flux is simply the most inspiering xc platform ive ever been on. wowdamnsunuvabeesh its fast, agile and just flat fun! theres nuthin this bike doesnt do correctly it the proper enviornment. go try one before ya discount it.

turner customer service is the bar everything else in this industry is judged by. simply unparralelled warranty, trade in and customer support. the quality aint too shabby either. how many other 10 year old dual suspention bikes do ya know of that are still bein thrashed on?

and the #1 reason to by a flux over a rx............... (drum roll).................. be a elitest turner poser! its all the rage this year!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Go to the Pro Reviews section and read the review of the Flux. Its exactly what youre looking for.

Do It Yourself
    Good luck finding anyone who has ridden both the new 06 RX and the new 06 Flux TNT. But I'm sure the homers will opine a'plenty anyway.

Honestly, both are great rides. Several factors in detirming which might be better for you. Fit would be first and foremost. If one top tube length fits better than the other, that should be biggest concern. The next point would be your weight and riding style. If you're a bigger guy or more aggressive than average, I agree the RX will probably be a stiffer.

The older RX had issues with ultra low leverage ratio and the older Floats ramped up too fast. So with that, the Flux may have been more plush. But with the new shocks (RP3, plus PUSH options), I don't think that's as big of a difference anymore. Plus with the new geometry tweaks (dropped top tube), the RX now has a full 4" of rear travel.

I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions on the bearings vs. bushings. I don't think it's a big deal. Either implemented correctly works great and lasts a long time. I've never had any problems with Titus bearings just changing every other year. Titus actually uses both bearings and bushings so that does confound the arguments a bit.

You'll also find plenty of opinions on the Horst Link vs. TNT. Whether or not pivot placement is an issue for you, you'll just have to gather what you can on that and go from there. Check the sticky at the top of the page.

Bottom line. Decide what you really want, don't settle, and ride happy.
    Long Live Long Rides

My cup runneth over
    Lots of previous comparisons in this forum from people in the same position as you. Maybe search on Titus/RacerX. There's even a comparison with the MTBR Flux MTBR tested here.

I rode 'Whistler XC'

Good job! Thanks Cactus...

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    and the #1 reason to by a flux over a rx............... (drum roll).................. be a elitest turner poser! its all the rage this year!
    Ja, that was the main drawcard

Although the Turner board is SOOOO much busier than Titus so that must mean there's many more Turner's out there so the elitest snob in me is thinking Titus is the one to go for. Who cares how it rides....i'm only really gonna drive by all the bikeshops in town with it on the back of my car anyway!

No, that's not phonetic
    Link 1 (post #22, 24)

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Etc...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    now yer thinkin! i say we all sell our bikes and get the new scott and drive accross the country, slowin down in front of every last shop window so to be sure were seen with that pinnicle of bling strapped to the top of our custom hummers. hehe.

like brew says, do whats best for you and enjoy. either way youll have a fine ride under ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

I rode 'Whistler XC'

Mmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    .Bottom line. Decide what you really want, don't settle, and ride happy.
    My current RX is a medium, which is too small, however, I CANNOT POSSIBLY explain to you how much I LOVE the handling of this bike. Ordered an 06 large. The thing that bothers me is wheelbase as this will slow down the handling a little. The Large Flux is over 44' and a lrg RX is just under 43'. After fit I rate handling in tight and/or twisty singletrack as the most important factor....more so than ultimate suspension performance or finish or stiffness. It's not that those factors don't bother me, it's just that in those areas most of the bikes in this range ie Santa Cruz/Ellsworth/Ventana are going to be great.

Thanks for the advice!

I rode 'Whistler XC'

Good job! Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Link 1 (post #22, 24)

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Etc...
    Thanks man....will have a look!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    My current RX is a medium, which is too small, however, I CANNOT POSSIBLY explain to you how much I LOVE the handling of this bike. Ordered an 06 large. The thing that bothers me is wheelbase as this will slow down the handling a little. The Large Flux is over 44' and a lrg RX is just under 43'. After fit I rate handling in tight and/or twisty singletrack as the most important factor....more so than ultimate suspension performance or finish or stiffness. It's not that those factors don't bother me, it's just that in those areas most of the bikes in this range ie Santa Cruz/Ellsworth/Ventana are going to be great.

Thanks for the advice!

If handling is going to be your main criteria, it's going to be tough without a test ride on both. The Flux has a slightly longer top tube, slightly longer chainstays and slightly slacker head tube adds up to an extra inch+ of wheelbase. How that plays out in the overall big picture though can't be detirmined on paper though.

All the links above are for the older models of both frames. The MTBR reivew is even RX80 vs Flux. Not even close to apples to apples. If someone has ridden both the 06 RX 100 vs. 06 Flux both with RP3, then I think you'll find a lot more personal bias come into play than actual physical or ride differences.

Again, yon't agonize over it. You can't go wrong either way.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My current RX is a medium, which is too small, however, I CANNOT POSSIBLY explain to you how much I LOVE the handling of this bike.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Normally, I'd recommend a Turner over any other bike, but in your case I think that the RX is probably the right bike for you.

After reading your posts, it sounds like you love the RX and it's the bar you use to measure other bikes. You probably won't be happy unless you get the RX

mtbr member

Flux for me...

The post in "link 2" is mine as well as I posted on the Pro review on the Flux. My original post is from last year....opinion has not changed much. Been on 3 different Titus racer X's and would not go back now. The Flux is the perfect (race) bike for me. I have been on a few different bikes (single speeds) since spring and everytime I get back on the Flux, it just put a smile on my face to ride a bike that seems just so perfect. I am waiting anxously for DT to come out with his 29er.

on a side note I have by far my best year racing on the Flux...hit the podium on most races (expert xc)....I have to give some credit to the Flux as I trained miuch less than normal (which isn't all that much).

The rear of the Flux is rock solid, no play or flex, businings are great - I notice no difference between bushings and bearings other than I had to replace some bearing - nothing yet with bushings.
    Not a fan of "polished frames", but the Flux is now available with anodized colors.
    Flux is a lighter frame

Feel free to ask any specific questions
    KMan

I'm currently on an 02 Racer X. I've ordered a 06 RX but it seems to be running late, so i am considering changing to a Flux.

It doesn't seem to be as sturdy as the RX when I look at the rear-suspension, specifically construction/tube diameters etc. Opinion please?

Also, i've heard mention of the main bb pivot running on bushes as opposed to bearings....is this correct?

Has anyone ridden both?

Right now I'm convinced Titus builds the best xc rig on the planet. Don't wanna step on any Turner toes, that's just my opinion.

banned

Thanks for the advice!
    I bet you're going to end up selling one. If you love the old RX and you're gonna buy a new one, the other (either new or old) will end up collecting dust. If you love the old one so much, keep it and get something new and different to ride!

And the Turner bushings will outlast bearings with only a wee bit of love in greasing them through the grease fittings in the frame. The Turner rear ends are stiff as hell, btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I' had a 2002 Racer X and eventually went to a 2004 5-Spot. Not a fair comparison I know, becuase they are in to separate classes. The rear end stiffness of both bikes is excellent. In the end it was the geometry that sold me on the spot - low slung, slack and excellent standover. I think Turner has a slightly more confidence inspiring geometry. But to compare quality between the two brands is splitting hairs.

www.derbyrims.com

Flux is more versatile

Has anyone ridden both?

I've ridden both, well sort of. I've ridden a few RacerX's and the Turner Burner (close in geometry to the Flux), and the Truth which has a nearly identical rear suspension as the early Flux but much more awkward handling than a Turner bike.

The Flux allows you to adjust the rear suspension to be noticeably more plush and bump compliant than the X. The X is very efficient but it has a rather linear rear suspension compression rate overall with air shock while the Flux is rising rate and smoother in the first 3/4's of travel, unless you firm up the damping. This is the key difference in rear suspension the Flux can be firmed up to race with platform damping, while the X cannot be softened up much from a firm feeling suspension for better endurance type ride use.

The handling of the Flux is slightly slower and more stable with a slacker head tube angle. But this give a better ability to relax more and recover better on downhills when racing, and the ability to attack corners with harder braking without lifting the rear wheel out of control. You can ride faster on the Flux than the X. (This is not the case for the Truth due to the awkwardly steep roadie frame geometry.)

The new Flux TNT faux bar actually handles slightly better than the ICT version. It's more stable under braking with no loss in traction if not better traction with less body repositioning effort.

- ray

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Mint,

I had a similar dilemma recently. I've been on a HH-100/RacerX since 02' and was looking for a change, new bikeitis if you will. My goal was not to sacrifice the precision handling and stiffness of the HH/RacerX while adding a skosh more plushness. I was quite intrigued by the positive reviews/hype of the Flux and thought it sounded like a perfect candidate to replace my HH. Not wanting to spend $1800.00 on a frame I've never ridden, I ordered a demo Flux (pre TNT) from Competitive Cyclist and spent about a week riding the same trails I ride on my HH.

Maybe I set my expectations too high but, the only area's where there was a discernable difference was in downhill stability and handling. The Flux being the better of the two going downhill and the HH/RX being the sharper handler, especially in the tight Single Track. Not that the Flux doesn't handle well, because it does. It just doesn't feel as precise in the twisty's. As a side note, I've yet to ride a bike that carves like the Titus. It just rails. As for climbing, I couldn't tell the difference, both are very capable. Quality also seems to be about equal. The Titus rear end and pivots look beefier, however both felt equally stiff in the rear. Plushness was also a toss up.( FWIW, the demo Flux had an RP3 and my HH/RX has a Pushed Float R.)

My conclusion was that both are equally awesome bikes. I loved the Flux, but felt it was just more of the same. It certainly didn't blow me away as I expected after reading all the reviews. Depending on where you primarily ride, one may favor the other. For the San Antonio/Austin area where I ride, the HH/RX is hard to beat. If you're sold on the handling traits of the X, you may be better off waiting for your 06' X to arrive.

MOJO
    Last edited by MOJO67; 01-31-2006 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I owned a HH 100X and now I own a Flux. Some thoughts . . .Both are awesome bikes. The HH rear end is slightly stiffer than the Flux. The HH has slightly quicker handling than the Flux. However, the Flux handles corners at high speeds better than the HH. The HH was slighly skiddish on fast corners. The Flux climbs a little better than the HH, The Flux is more plush than the HH. The HH is a little snappier from a dead start. The Flux seems a little more stable. Please note these are all subtle differences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

The Facts

Ja, that was the main drawcard

Although the Turner board is SOOOO much busier than Titus so that must mean there's many more Turner's out there so the elitest snob in me is thinking Titus is the one to go for. Who cares how it rides....i'm only really gonna drive by all the bikeshops in town with it on the back of my car anyway!
    Dude
    Do your research and you will come to no other choice than the turner
    why spend that kind of money on a frame with bearings,
    bearings are not made for side force and there not made for partial rotation
    and there not as laterally stiff DO YOUR RESEARCH DUDE.....
    the phrase sealed cartridge bearing is a crapy marketing ploy
    for you to buy an overpriced frame with cheap japan bearings
    and charge you a 100 bucks for a dealer specific kit
    dont deny yourself the truth dude.....

banned
    Japan bearings are good ones. You get Chinese bearings and those are the bad ones. The bearings are off the shelf sizes, so you can order them from anywhere for a lot less than the manufacturer. The only thing you don't get are the washers/spacers and hardware, which you might need.

The cost/year ratio of the Turner bushing system is very low. Many are still on their originals with little wear. My set from my Burner after two years of riding still needed to be pressed out.

banned
    I think on the DH bikes, the bearings see a lot of degrees of rotation. Also, doesn't Turner use needle bearings on them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Japan bearings are good ones. You get Chinese bearings and those are the bad ones. The bearings are off the shelf sizes, so you can order them from anywhere for a lot less than the manufacturer. The only thing you don't get are the washers/spacers and hardware, which you might need.

The cost/year ratio of the Turner bushing system is very low. Many are still on their originals with little wear. My set from my Burner after two years of riding still needed to be pressed out.
    You bring up a good point, and Turner uses bearings on their downhill bikes -so there is a right way to use bearings. Also, all linkage bolts and bearings on the Titus rigs are standard sizes, so if the company went under or no longer sold rebuild kits, you still get your parts. Turner bushings are proprietary -although the bushings do last. And while the bushing system makes the rocker assembly a unified piece which ads stiffness, the Titus has no shortage of lateral stiffness. I have had my spot for 2 years with no bushing issues, I had my RX for 2 years and then gave it my brother to use for another two years of abusive use, and no bearing trouble yet. All that said, the 5-spot is my favorite

Mr.Secret
    I've owned two RXs and I'm not sure how many Turners, but I always gravitate back to the Turner. The RX is a very flickable, nimble, ride for sure but it seems you need to be a bit more aware of weight placement over the bike when climbing. Where as with the Turner you can be practicaly braindead, but as long as you can turn the cranks they'll climb up and over just about anything Also the weight difference between a med. Flux/med. RX IS 4 oz. lighter on the Turner, but I've not yet weighed the new carbon stayed RX. On looong backcountry rides, while still fun, the RX will have me wishing for a little bit more, like my Flux, or, off the point, my 5-Spot....

Members who have read this thread: 0