Float vs Talas- Mtbr.com

Thread: Float vs Talas

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Float vs Talas

I'm building an 08 Spot. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a Float instead of a Talas? I understand you can turn down the Talas, but aside from that what are the differences?
    TIA

Mr.Secret
    Why do you want to change the travel of the fork ? Myself I'd opt for the Float for the weight savings and serviceability ease.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    I think many on here would point u to a Pike instead. My have an 08 Talas and it leaks a bit. Plus with a Pike you can do a 20mm front end which had it's advantages (this assumes you haven't got your wheels yet.)

mtbr member
    If you don't want to change the travel on your fork for climbing, then get the Float. There is a lot less to go wrong and be serviced with the Float. If you want 20mm Fox now offers the Foat in a 15mm that will be very close in stiffness to a 20mm. Personally I prefer the ride quality of the Fox 32mm forks over the Rock Shox, but Rock Shox has come a long way over the last few years.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Try demoing a spot and climbing at full length before you decide. At least for me, travel adjust makes long or steep climbs more fun. Especially if you end up running a shorter stem to make the descents more fun.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

banned
    I have an 06 RFX and run a TALAS 36 on it with a +7mm Ventana Crown Race. I never use the lower travel settings. I tried this past weekend to put it in 130 at a bike park, but I liked the 160 better.

That said, I'd get the FLoat.

mtbr member
    I have both (but only one at the time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a Float instead of a Talas?
    That reason would be if you do long climbs - the 120 and 100 mm option on the Talas is nice. On really steep climbs the 100mm is a must. If you don't do that kind of climbing - "140mm-ONLY" is sufficient. With either choice get the RLC

This summer I did a 400km trip through the alps with 14 vertical kilometers of climbing. I'm glad I brought the Talas for that trip

:-) Kasper

Mr.Secret
    I ran a Manitou Nixon IT and a 36 Talus on my 6 Pack( at different times obviously ) a few years back and one of the first rides I did on the bike was a local trail known as the Dome. Lowering the fork gave me the sensation that the swingarm grew in length making the bike feel heavier and more sluggish. What I wound up doing is just lowering my upper body a tick more and could climb anything that I could/can on my Flux or Spot. I love long steep nasty, in your face climbs and I think technique is a bigger factor than an adjustable travel fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg
    I'm building an 08 Spot. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a Float instead of a Talas? I understand you can turn down the Talas, but aside from that what are the differences?
    TIA
    I have a 2007 36 Float RLC on my 06 RFX. I haven't missed a travel adjust one bit. On super long steep climbs it might be nice but I haven't ran into anything that made me wish I had a travel adjust. On a side note make sure you get a "quick release" thru axle. I have the 5 bolt and it makes changing a flat on the trail a pain.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The TALAS is a crutch that helps on the super steep climbs. I use it on a handful of really steep climbs. Otherwise, I leave it 140 mm. Could I live w/o it? Of course, but I opted to get it anyways. So far, I am not sorry I did. If the TALAS gives me headaches, maybe I'll wish I didn't get it but so far, I like it.

One thing though, it took much longer for the fork to break in and become buttery smooth on the small stuff vs. a Fox F100R. After break-in, I'd say its nearly as smooth, maybe even.

Members who have read this thread: 0